Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide - "Popularity"

Magikrazy

Donkey Kong
Now you may be wondering what a single episode of a Nickelodeon TV show has to do with Mario, but hear me out.

In the episode entitled "Popularity", a new popularity list of the students at James K. Polk Middle School is released, and Moze, one of the main characters, is in the top ten.

This is where my question comes up. Whenever Moze is shown hanging out with the other popular kids, a song plays that contains the lyrics, "do it now/take me to the top". These exact lyrics sung by the same woman in the same pitch, tone, etc are found in the song "Fishing Frenzy" in Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix. I have tried to find the original song the vocals come from, but to no avail.

Has anyone ever heard the song I'm talking about? The Mario Mix sample also has her saying "let's have a party!" while the Ned's Declassified sample also has the line, "Do it now/give me a sign".

illuminati confirmed

That's interesting. I've probably heard the song since I own the game (and the mat), but I don't remember where it played.

Was it the EX song for the fishing battle?

DDR tends to do mix up songs from other songs. For example, Pipe Pop uses samples from another DDR song called "Make a Jam" (the same lyrics, but higher pitched)

That's possible.

Still wondering why Ned's Declassified would sample a DDR song, though.

My only guess is how popular DDR was.

An old Nickelodeon live-action sitcom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned's_Declassified_School_Survival_Guide

^ Google, click, read, learn

The episode of Family Guy "Peter Griffin: Husband, Father ... Brother?" has this sample during the scene where Stewie is dancing to join the cheerleaders.

Goddamn, who is this woman and what is this song?

Sounds kinda like Whitney Houston, or it could be one of the Drinkard sisters maybe.

Back