Scariest/Creepiest moments in video games

NSY

Celestial Guide
What are the scariest moments in video games?

For me the ones that come to mind are the Shadow Temple because of the whole backstory and toture stuff. Mad Pinao is another because of how unexpected it was, the Creepy Castle catacombs due how unnerving and uneasy you actually feel down there and the Phazon Mines mostly due how druanting the music was down there.

the never ending stairs in super mario 64

when i was about 5-6 years old i played yoshis island and in 6-8 when you killed baby bowsers first form id get rly scared of the big bad bowser rising up so i just powered off my snes

my parents always asked me "why did you turn off ur game you were doing so good" if they were watching
or if they wanted to complete the level for me since i was scared
but i told them one day id do it and i did it a few years after
i never got 100% on that level until then

facing ur fears is a good feel

I'll admit there are a few things in Metroid Prime that creeped me out at first. Such as Phazon Mines and the Space Pirate lab in Phendrana Drifts. But going back to it it's such a great way to keep me on the edge and I'm not too scared anymore.

I remember the never ending stairs in SM64, scaring me like hell when i was younger.

None of the things in Mario 64 were as scary as that fucking giant fish in SMB3. And SM64 to some extent but mostly in SMB3

"You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"

Also Ben, and probably the rest of the game as well.

I already made a thread like this but whatever.

SA-X from Metroid Fusion. Also Nightmare from the same game.

The haunted piano in super mario 64

Lavender town and any other creepy place onwards in pokemon.

In OoT, the Forest Temple because of the Wallmasters. Caused me to have the fear of disembodied hands to this day.

I used to be scare from the flying ghost pig in Doodle Woods from Wario Land 4. Not anymore but it still creeps me out.

Also pretty much the entire game of Metroid Fusion (but that's why I love it so much).

Female Scout said:
The black hole in SMG.

God that thing is scary for a girl who hates space.

I was about to say that. Those black holes are terrifying.

Sooo...something else...uh...I got one. The Oho Jees from Superstar Saga. A scientist being turned into...oh friggin god what?

Blue the Raptor said:
Also pretty much the entire game of Metroid Fusion (but that's why I love it so much).
Metroid Fusion spoilers.
Remember that timed countdown that makes your heart race? You know. The one in sector PYR. I was like "What the fuck" when I saw a scientist. I was like why would they try to blow the place up... only to see it was A CORE X. WHAT THE FUCK

Krosshair from DKC3 and DK64

even though DK64 is a pretty big let down and the GBA remake of DKC3 ruined it

Also that sawblade was a real conversation stopper

Elevator: Source was particularly lovely when on my first playthrough, it gave me most of the scary floors immediately for my first few

Also gotta love when innocuous Gmod maps turn out to be the "horror" ones that have interesting audio and a jumpscare behind the last room I go and check out.

Once in a custom TF2 map, I was flying around in no clip and flew in a non accessible zone just to scope it out and this fuckin face jumpscare filled up the screen

Also gotta love how Don't Starve gives you a new freaky way to get murdered every playthrough, like a GIANT LIVING TREE THAT MURDERS ALL YOUR PIGMEN FRIENDS IN THE NIGHT

Another jumpscare from Afraid of Monsters stands out to me. You're going through the woods and shit's fine until there's some robed thing with a yellow mask/face just standing there, and flies at you at mach speed as soon as you get within range. The only reason I remember this so well is because I later went and tried to find some Let's Player's reactions to it and the stupid thing didn't even show up for a lot of them.

K.K. Dirge is some scary shit

There was a period of my life where I would not want to fight Star Fox 64's Andross

Anyway I get spooked easy so if I listed off all the tense atmospheres of horror games then this post would be mighty long, so stick to my jumpscares

silent hill 3 everything, that game is terrifying

also every moment in scp containment breach since you can die at any moment

also the crogmire(sp?) death in super metroid still bothers me

- Lavender Town
- Clickers from The Last of Us
- David from The Last of Us
- I also get really uncomfortable in games where you swim and only have limited oxygen (SM64, BK, TLoU, etc), especially when your controls suck (which is pretty much any 3D game with swimming)

- The opening to Akumajou Dracula (Castlevania) X68000 for the Sharp X68000.
- The Taranatox Battle in SMG1 which makes me think of one of those overhead stage boss fights in Contra III: The Alien Wars on SNES.
- The Succubus in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

The World of Nothing from Super Paper Mario was probably the most disturbing part of any game I've played so far. Also, some parts of Game Overs really creep me out, including:
-The extremely dramatic music from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
-The quite depressing screens from many of the Donkey Kong Country games
-The demented, evil-sounding music from the US version of Sonic CD
-The screen of Luigi with black eyes from the beta version of Luigi's Mansion (Thank God that screen didn't make it into the actual game)

Mind as well spoiler this since it's not only full of unfitting pictures from E games but also many end-game spoilers.

Link_vs._Dead_Hand.png

670px-Defeat-Nana-in-Luigi's-Mansion-Step-2.jpg

latest

latest

hqdefault.jpg

-SA-X from Metroid Fusion. Metroid Fusion in general gives off an uneasy feeling that I love.
-Chapter 5 of Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War. Saying anymore would spoil the game so I'll leave it at that.
-The Happy Mask Salesman from Majora's Mask
-The Old Chateau from Pokemon Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. Somehow it creeps me out more than Lavender Town.

Gonna point out a couple of more moments
  • GFS Valhalla from Metrioid Prime 3 just let's out that feeling that some shit is gonna pop out, also pretty depressing
  • Mystic Mansion from Sonic Heroes, you don't get many scary Sonic moments but this stage gives you a really uneasy feel with the skeletons constantly watching and the hammer guy coming out of the portrait was a interesting jump scare
  • Ikana Canyon from Majora's Mask, the history and music makes this place. Just a deserted wasteland that used to be a grand kingdom.
  • Mimi from Super Paper Mario, snap's her neck in a E-rated game, my thought of it is words I can't make up.

Myrmidon NSY said:
  • GFS Valhalla from Metrioid Prime 3 just let's out that feeling that some shit is gonna pop out, also pretty depressing

How'd I forget this one

I was 13 - 14 when I played that game and it terrified me.

Giygas. This twisted eldritch abomination, in an E-rated game? And don't get me started on all of those theories.

Back