Mario and other videogame music for guitars! *New Video*

Re: Mario and other videogame music for guitars!

^It could be helpful to aspiring musicians who are looking to marry their love of gaming with their love of music to get them started.

Crocodile Dippy said:
^It could be helpful to aspiring musicians who are looking to marry their love of gaming with their love of music to get them started.

That sounds good. I would also make it accessible so that those who do not have any musical knowledge will understand and learn something out of it too.

Great stuff! Looking forward to the medley.

There is no such things as too specific for The 'Shroom really, I've seen two-liners and two-thousand-liners alike in the past.

Lakituthequick said:
Great stuff! Looking forward to the medley.

There is no such things as too specific for The 'Shroom really, I've seen two-liners and two-thousand-liners alike in the past.

Thanks, sounds great!

I finished writing the medley which we performed at a Halloween recital on October 30. Now we just have to practice it a bit more and then we will be ready record it! :yoshi:

Viper26 said:
In order to sign up for The Shroom, you also need an account on our wiki.

Thanks for the heads up Viper. I will make my account when the time comes

??? What? Viper, please stop minimodding The 'Shroom, it's really starting to get annoying. Dinomate, speaking as an actual 'Shroom staff member, you don't need a wiki account; me brother sent in a section a few months ago as a once-off, and he doesn't have a wiki or forum account. Honestly, just fill in this:
1.) Which position would you like to apply for?

2.) Writers have the choice to submit sections monthly, bi-monthly (every other month), or volunteer-based (one-time submission). Please select which section plan you would like to observe.

3.) The staff reserves the right to remove writers from their position if their actions reflect badly on The 'Shroom. Actions like these include extensive misbehavior on any part of the community. Do you accept this condition?

4.) Please write a full-length demo of your section. That way, we can have a bit of your work to decide if you can be on the team. Your demo section and all sections that follow must comply with our policies at The 'Shroom:Manual of Style. Failure to do so may result in the immediate rejection of your demo.
then send it via PM to FunkyK38, since she runs Palette Swap, the team geared towards music and artwork. No need to make an account just for this, that's just unnecessary hassle.

Dinomyte said:
Smg2daisy said:
Dinomyte said:
You probably were playing a steel-string guitar. Classical guitar is far more gentle on the finger tips because of the nylon strings. ;)
Today in my arranging class my teacher says that lol

Anyway your work is rather impressive. I can't comment much since I am a piano player, but such quality from a classical guitar is good indeed!

Thanks Smg2Daisy! When arranging for piano you have a lot more freedom but you can do quite a lot with the classical guitar too :). One of the biggest issue with guitar is the sustain since we have no pedal...but there are ways to get around...like play the piece faster :P.

There are other problems you encounter when arranging or writing for guitar but I'm saving that for another post!
$T2eC16RHJIIE9qTYKC6EBRgKyRr,6g~~_32.JPG

It exists. I mean, electric guitars use this often than classical guitars but :/

Dinomyte said:
There are other problems you encounter when arranging or writing for guitar but I'm saving that for another post!
Speaking of that my arranging project is killing me to write a Swing style piece including guitars :s I am dying

Crocodile Dippy said:
??? What? Viper, please stop minimodding The 'Shroom, it's really starting to get annoying. Dinomate, speaking as an actual 'Shroom staff member, you don't need a wiki account; me brother sent in a section a few months ago as a once-off, and he doesn't have a wiki or forum account. Honestly, just fill in this:
1.) Which position would you like to apply for?

2.) Writers have the choice to submit sections monthly, bi-monthly (every other month), or volunteer-based (one-time submission). Please select which section plan you would like to observe.

3.) The staff reserves the right to remove writers from their position if their actions reflect badly on The 'Shroom. Actions like these include extensive misbehavior on any part of the community. Do you accept this condition?

4.) Please write a full-length demo of your section. That way, we can have a bit of your work to decide if you can be on the team. Your demo section and all sections that follow must comply with our policies at The 'Shroom:Manual of Style. Failure to do so may result in the immediate rejection of your demo.
then send it via PM to FunkyK38, since she runs Palette Swap, the team geared towards music and artwork. No need to make an account just for this, that's just unnecessary hassle.

Thanks for clearing that up Dippy! :)

Smg2daisy said:
$T2eC16RHJIIE9qTYKC6EBRgKyRr,6g~~_32.JPG

It exists. I mean, electric guitars use this often than classical guitars but :/

Speaking of that my arranging project is killing me to write a Swing style piece including guitars :s I am dying

As you said, that is only for electric guitar which is a very different instrument. You would not write the same way for electric instruments versus acoustic instruments that are not amped. There is no electric component to the classical guitar, so no pedals unfortunately. A pedal is built-in any acoustic piano but not built-in an acoustic guitar.

Your project sounds fun. Feel free to share your piece if you like :).

Some acoustic guitars can be amped for a more somber sound than a traditional electric guitar. Nirvana employed this on their Unplugged performance. I had an acoustic guitar that could be plugged into an amp, but I didn't like the sound of the particular guitar itself, so I bought a fully acoustic steel-string instead.

Smg2daisy said:
Acoustic guitars can be amped???? If I am not wrong.

Also I just started my project from scratch, not I am working on changing its genre to swing, which those tricks (anticipations, delay attack etc.) This will kill my time well.

Sorry for not explaining myself clearly. Of course an acoustic guitar can be amped but what I meant to say is that naturally, a guitar does not have a pedal, while a piano does. Any classical guitar that you can plug (it has internal mic/pickup) won't sound very good.

The only reason I would amp a classical guitar is to play louder using an external microphone (which I've done on some occasion). That you can have better sustain using a pedal is true, and yet as soon as you start adding effects and changing the natural attack, sustain,decay of the instrument, it becomes unnatural and becomes a totally different instrument.

What I mean is that if I add electric components, it's not a classical guitar anymore. I'm dealing with the classical guitar so I'm dealing with the instrument's natural restrictions, which include the sustain problem.

Amping my guitar doesn't mean changing its natural sound but using a pedal to make its notes sound longer means changing the nature of the instrument.

Good luck on your project! Seems like s lot of work!

Crocodile Dippy said:
Some acoustic guitars can be amped for a more somber sound than a traditional electric guitar. Nirvana employed this on their Unplugged performance. I had an acoustic guitar that could be plugged into an amp, but I didn't like the sound of the particular guitar itself, so I bought a fully acoustic steel-string instead.

I amped mine in the past too. There is no question; for a band it's a must to amp your acoustic guitars or no one would hear it.

Hi everyone,

Below is my newest video: A super medley of Super Mario World for guitar and piano!

Hope you enjoy it! Please share it if you like it!

Hobbes said:
That was an awesome medley!

Thanks Hobbes! I'm happy you like it. :)

If don't mind writing a comment on the youtube video, that would be very appreciated ! :mario: :luigi:

Message to everyone:

Feel free to post your favorite game music here (please include title of game and track; and/or link). I might do my next medley on one of your suggestions, granted that it can work well on guitar and there is enough request for it.

I'm also really curious to know what you guys like in terms of videogame music.

Thanks! :yoshi:

i need mega man

like, anything that's not the wily castle theme from mega man 2 because that's been done to death

Banjo said:
Wow, this is extremely impressive! I love how much fun you seem to be having in that medley video ;D

Thanks so much for the comment Banjo! I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

Threek said:
i need mega man

like, anything that's not the wily castle theme from mega man 2 because that's been done to death

I'm going to make a list of all suggestions. I've added it to the first post.

Roger Smith said:
hope it's not too fast or quirky

I try to do medleys, so it will depend if I can integrate other music from this game. I added it to first post.

Dinomyte said:
Roger Smith said:
hope it's not too fast or quirky

I try to do medleys, so it will depend if I can integrate other music from this game. I added it to first post.
perhaps try a battle theme medley? unfortunately bis doesn't have much to choose from

this isn't actually a battle theme but it's used in the tutorials for special attacks so it's relevant

(not asking you to use them all, just giving some options; you can decide what works best)

Hobbes said:
A Zelda medley would be awesome.

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually wrote one for guitar quartet that was 10 minutes long but never recorded it. There are so many good themes in Zelda that the medley will run pretty long hahaha. While it wont be the next one, we will do Zelda for sure as that one is really a classic.

Roger Smith said:
perhaps try a battle theme medley? unfortunately bis doesn't have much to choose from

Thanks for your idea. I think the best solution is to make a medley with music from the whole Mario & Luigi series instead of just a game. That would allow for more choices. :)

Laverne Todd said:
How about one from the best game soundtrack imo?

From 2:38 to 3:10 only please.

Thanks for the suggestion.

In this case, the texture and timbre of the electronic instruments contribute heavily to the techno-like mood. In other words, I don't think an acoustic cover of this soundtrack would work on piano and classical guitar, at least not without major doctoring. I think to make it work, the instrumentation would have to be something like electric guitar, keyboard, bass and drums.

Back