The Civil Discussion Thread

Hobbes said:
Alsace <3 <3 <3

It may not be French-nationalistic, but it certainly has a very strong Alsatian identity (I don't know about Lorraine, however). Some people even refuse to speak French (granted, only a few, but they exist).

That is one thing to be admired about the US. This would get you jailed in many countries.

EDIT 2: nvm, it's not even a necessary image to link
Well, my maternal grandmother identifies herself as more German than French (or she's more articulated in the German language than French thanks to World War II).

Alsace and Lorraine are frequently grouped together, so I think both of them aren't very strong nationalism-wise, although I did recall that they're supposed to be more conservative as well.

That's the issue, people don't like criticism. I don't, you don't, none of us do. Which is why I'll never consider politics for my future career (that, and that I think I'm too hard on myself sometimes). Some people take it worse than others, though, and even go through measures to enact laws to silence critics. I find this unthinkable and backwards. We've had long histories of people silencing critics and we've made a lot of progress since.

Back