What's the way you play Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door?

Stooben Rooben said:
ShyGuy27 said:
No replay value, though. It's the kind of thing that you just don't want to go through again.
The replay value would be way higher if it allowed you to start the game over with the stats you had when you beat the game.

And the fact that battles take forever to do, and you only end up losing HP anyway when you fight them.

The original was a lot more fun. A lot of TTYD seemed like an annoying chore.

ZOMG ARE YOU CALLING TTYD WORSE THAN PM64?! Never!!!!!!!!!! PM TTYD PWNS BEYOND ALL REASON IT'S ONE OF THE BEST GAMES IN HISTORY.

Mr. Yellow said:
ZOMG ARE YOU CALLING TTYD WORSE THAN PM64?! Never!!!!!!!!!! PM TTYD PWNS BEYOND ALL REASON IT'S ONE OF THE BEST GAMES IN HISTORY.
Obviously, you haven't played PM64 noob.

And, wow, that sounds like it came right out of Rudnicki's mouth.

Toadbert101 said:
Stooben Rooben said:
ShyGuy27 said:
No replay value, though. It's the kind of thing that you just don't want to go through again.
The replay value would be way higher if it allowed you to start the game over with the stats you had when you beat the game.

And the fact that battles take forever to do, and you only end up losing HP anyway when you fight them.
Yeah, those battles that make you lose a few HP and FP here and there are annoying. But, I prefer battling over any other aspect of the game.

[quote author=ShyGuy27]The original was a lot more fun. A lot of TTYD seemed like an annoying chore.[/quote]
If I ever get the chance, I'm going to play PM64. I've heard nothing but good reviews and comments about it.

Mr. Yellow said:

Ooooh! Big Rigs Truckers is the best game evur!11!1

TTYD is overrated.

Mr. Yellow said:
Mr. Yellow, please turn off your anger. It's just a opinion.

Mr. Yellow said:

Caps Lock and overuse of Exclamation Marks isnt going to make us change our decision.

When I first played TTYD, I avoided most of the enemies; then on my second replay, I fought 'em all (which is now my standard rule for initial playthroughs in RPGs); then on my third, I just, ya know, fought some and didn't fight others. And I do think I tried to win a few battles with my feet once or twice.

Free Loader said:
ShyGuy27 said:
Sorry to quote a relatively old post, but I completely agree. I was replaying it a while ago, but I stopped when I got to Twilight Town because I remembered that that entire chapter involved dieing while going back and forth between Twilight Town and Creepy Steeple(whatever the heck it was called) like a million times.
The first few times I played that chapter, I kept getting ticked off beyond belief. It aggravated me that you had to go through several tight screens infested with enemies that put you to sleep repetitively, and there was virtually no escape. I kept dying and dying and dying. Now, any battle with Hyper Goombas/Paragoombas, I fight. Battles against Dayzees and Hyper Spiky Goombas, I flee...if it lets me. Sometimes I tap the A Button like crazy, and it still won't let you flee.

All those wasted coins. :'(

Stooben Rooben said:
Free Loader said:
ShyGuy27 said:
Sorry to quote a relatively old post, but I completely agree. I was replaying it a while ago, but I stopped when I got to Twilight Town because I remembered that that entire chapter involved dieing while going back and forth between Twilight Town and Creepy Steeple(whatever the heck it was called) like a million times.
The first few times I played that chapter, I kept getting ticked off beyond belief. It aggravated me that you had to go through several tight screens infested with enemies that put you to sleep repetitively, and there was virtually no escape. I kept dying and dying and dying. Now, any battle with Hyper Goombas/Paragoombas, I fight. Battles against Dayzees and Hyper Spiky Goombas, I flee...if it lets me. Sometimes I tap the A Button like crazy, and it still won't let you flee.

Losing coins when you try and flee is pretty dumb.

Toadbert101 said:
Stooben Rooben said:
Free Loader said:
ShyGuy27 said:

Losing coins when you try and flee is pretty dumb.
I never really understood the concept behind the whole thing.

ShyGuy27 said:
It's to discourage you from running away.
Yeah, because everyone would rather lose 10 HP than 5 coins. They should've made it that when your HP is 5 and under, that you lose no coins when fleeing.

Stooben Rooben said:
ShyGuy27 said:
Yeah, because everyone would rather lose 10 HP than 5 coins. They should've made it that when your HP is 5 and under, that you lose no coins when fleeing.

A lot of badge ideas shouldve been something you automaticly had.

Toadbert101 said:
Stooben Rooben said:
ShyGuy27 said:

A lot of badge ideas shouldve been something you automaticly had.
Yeah, I agree.

Free Loader said:
That would sort of defeat the point of even having badges :-\
Well, just some very basic badges should've been automatic powers. The more powerful ones would still be badges.

Time to resurrect an old topic. Slightly offtopic, but I didn't find general TTYD thread.

Could someone confirm what exactly will happen when you beat the Shadow Queen ? I beat her, watched the long cutscene and credits - It asked me to save but I didn't ... And I was back at the title screen. If I had saved, what woulda happened ? Could I have resumed the game from .. Rogueport and continue doing whatever I still haven't done like Pit of Trials etc ?

To answer the original thread question while at it - Unlike when I first played TTYD many years ago and thought the game was really hard as I just kept upping HP and FP, this time I upped HP only twice, FP twice ( 1 of +HP and FP badges aswell ), and rest to BP. I had 69BP when I beat the Shadow Queen.. lvl25 or something ? And man was she easy .. I remember I never beat her when I played this game years ago but now o_O. Power Lift from Mario, Fiery Jinx from Vivian to keep the hands away, and Power Bouncing on her to deal like 50 damage per turn. ( Sometimes less because I used All or Nothing badge ). I stocked up like 10 Ultra Shrooms, 6 Life Shrooms and 4 Jammin Jellies and I only ended up using 2 Life Shrooms throughout the battle, and even those were only in the start when I was reserving my FP/Star Power etc. .. I didnt remember Peach heals me xD.

Dist said:
Time to resurrect an old topic. Slightly offtopic, but I didn't find general TTYD thread.
There doesn't appear to be one, oddly. I use the search function and no topics about the game in general came up.

Could someone confirm what exactly will happen when you beat the Shadow Queen ? I beat her, watched the long cutscene and credits - It asked me to save but I didn't ... And I was back at the title screen. If I had saved, what woulda happened ? Could I have resumed the game from .. Rogueport and continue doing whatever I still haven't done like Pit of Trials etc ?
Yep. There's a few small changes added too after you save.
Including a cameo appearance from Bow from the first Paper Mario, iirc.

On my first play through I tended to avoid battles and only upgrade my HP and FP. I thought badges were useless! On my second play, I fought every enemy on sight (If I had enough HP) and leveled up my BP, HP, FP equally. I also got up to Shadow Queen in both, but only beat it on my second playthrough.

Back