• no

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters
Genji said:
Megamario15 said:
Genji said:
Megamario15 said:
1 + 1/3 * 6 + 2/3 * 7

Appears to be 7 2/3. I'm not entirely sure how that's relevant.
Now do it with decimals.

7.‾6

Which is equivalent to 7 2/3.

I don't think you're quite the math geek you think you are.
I did something in math class that had me get a completely different answer because I used decimals.
I got it wrong.

Yeah, you probably rounded the numbers to make them more manageable.

People do that, but that also leads to minor inaccuracies and usually you can't use a normal equivalency sign anymore when you do that.

Back in nightschool this is something I often brought to attention when I tutored friends. Don't be afraid of fractions. Once you get them, they are easy to work with and you usually end up with much more accurate results because you don't have to round.

Genji said:
Back in nightschool this is something I often brought to attention when I tutored friends. Don't be afraid of fractions. Once you get them, they are easy to work with and you usually end up with much more accurate results because you don't have to round.
At one point later in school, don't you have to use stuff like the pi button, the radicals, the logs, etc. rather than rounding them to get equations right?

Mario Party X said:
Genji said:
At one point later in school, don't you have to use stuff like the pi button, the radicals, the logs, etc. rather than rounding them to get equations right?
you'll eventually start finding answers like 100π, where you're not required to round it

100π ~ 314.159... but that's not as exact as 100π so the answer 100π is preferred

Well, I was more talking about basic algebra.

I've usually been surrounded by people who, upon being permitted to use a calculator, think it's some sort of miracle machine that will do all the thinking for them. So they'd punch all the numbers in, get some decimal number like "42.2148783723148274312674" in return, and use that as a basis for further calculation. In the end they get overwhelmed because the numbers keep getting more and more unmanageable, so they round in overabundance and in the end get results that are completely off.

It's silly, and it's avoidable. It's always healthy to remember: A calculator is only your friend as long as you know what you're doing with it. You still have to understand the basics and use your head.

Genji said:
Well, I was more talking about basic algebra.

I've usually been surrounded by people who, upon being permitted to use a calculator, think it's some sort of miracle machine that will do all the thinking for them. So they'd punch all the numbers in, get some decimal number like "42.2148783723148274312674" in return, and use that as a basis for further calculation. In the end they get overwhelmed because the numbers keep getting more and more unmanageable, so they round in overabundance and in the end get results that are completely off.

It's silly, and it's avoidable. It's always healthy to remember: A calculator is only your friend as long as you know what you're doing with it. You still have to understand the basics and use your head.
yeah i don't really know why people use calculators for basic algebra lol. just treat π like a constant that you can't multiply into anything and you'll be fine

i think people are taught at first that you need to have pretty looking answers to stuff but multidimensional calculus taught me that you can have stuff like (52 + 6π) and that's an exact answer even though it has a plus sign in it

Well, you pretty much treat the symbol as a variable.

That's like saying "33 1/3 isn't a 1/3 of 100". But it is.

1=.999999

Javelin said:
Megamario15 said:
If .999... and 1 were the same, only one would exist.

However, since there are both of them, they mathematically cannot be one and the same.
1 and (0.5 * 2) both exist and are mathematically one and the same.

I don't follow.
Yes, but (.5 * 2) is not one value. .999... is. 1 is a also a single value. Two single values can not be the same.

im pretty sure 1.0000000000000000...0000000001 isn't a number

the point is, it doesn't really make sense

.999... describes a limit like cirdec was talking about before. but you can't write 1.000...001 in terms of a limit. plus the implication is that the last one is at the infinityth decimal place, which doesn't make any sense

but isn't there a limit of 1+1/n as n approaches infinity? which is the exact same thing but approaching 1 from the opposite direction?

wouldn't it be 1 + lim x -> ∞ 1/(10^x)

yeah that's what i was trying to say

maybe i should have just made a ms paint version instead of trying to type it out

Megamario15 said:
Javelin said:
Megamario15 said:
If .999... and 1 were the same, only one would exist.

However, since there are both of them, they mathematically cannot be one and the same.
1 and (0.5 * 2) both exist and are mathematically one and the same.

I don't follow.
Yes, but (.5 * 2) is not one value. .999... is. 1 is a also a single value. Two single values can not be the same.

yes they can

-0 and +0 can be said to be the same thing

and if you won't have that, what about 1/2 and 0.5? Same exact thing, just a different form

all it is is different ways to write the same number

Javelin said:
yeah that's what i was trying to say

maybe i should have just made a ms paint version instead of trying to type it out

but lim x -> ∞ 1/(10^x) = 0

and 1 + 0 = 1

i still feel like i'm missing something here so i'm just going to blame the filthy empiricist master race and leave

rationalists for life

Back