The Official Music Thread

Radiohead are just one of the greatest bands of all time; probably even my favorite band ever. I probably sound like a perfect hipster saying that, but it's so true. I love them. I just hope their new album pushes boundaries like their last ones. True, there are always exceptions. Radiohead was even signed on a major label for a few albums. I'm not sure if TWS are signed to Third Man officially, but their new live DVD/CD was released by Third Man. I can't wait 'till they come out with new material. The Dead Weather are just awesome. I liked their first album more than the new one, but it's still so cool.

I've tried Mastodon. They were... Hard for me to listen to. The awkward drumming on the one song I heard was just so nonsensical to my recently math-rocked out brain that I turned the song off. I'll try again, though, because I keep hearing that they're really good. Growl-y used to be my excuse. Hahahahaha! I realize now that it was an awful one. Growly can get actually really cool sometimes. Yep, I can't talk to anyone about good metal because they don't like the good stuff or hate it all. Ugh. Oh! Did you hear that Isis is breaking up? This shall be their last tour! I'm really disappointed.

Ha, De La Soul are great. I haven't listened to much classic hip-hop, but I keep hearing it's really great. I'll have to check it out more. I agree with your Auto-Tune argument to a point. It is truly a horrible trend in popular music. With nearly every artist in the top 100 lists using it, it's becoming the worst thing ever. However, when used in moderation to really enhance the theme or whatever of music, it can be a really cool effect. But, yes, every other poppy rap artist using it is so awful. I prefer Gil Scott-Heron's or Gonjasufi's natural voices than hear them auto-tuned to be just like all those other rap artists out there. It's disgusting, I agree. MIA is quite great; her new songs are really thought-provoking. It's cool. I should totes listen to the Streets. Maybe later haha I still have enough songs to listen to... 5570 to be exact. o_O

It's sorta like a "See-yair Rohss," I believe. G's are pronounced with a y sound, I believe. I'm studying Swedish a little, and I figured I'd learn a bit of Icelandic while I was in with the Scandinavian languages. Yeah, I absolutely loved Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust. One of my favorites for sure. Crystal Castles actually sampled Jónsi's voice (from "Inní mér syngur vitleysingur") in their new song "Years of Silence," and it's really quite awesome. The solo album is crazy awesome. It's VERY upbeat, and really happy in general. I like it a ton.

EDIT: Also, Auto-Tune is also ridiculously fun to use on old historical recordings. I must say. :P

Loving a band that Pitchfork worships =/= Hipster. Especially since Radiohead are one of the greatest bands ever. Have they even announced a new album? I haven't been keeping up with this year's music. Radiohead were signed to a major label since their very first full studio album; they only just recently went independent. I enjoyed The Dead Weather, but I do think Jack White and Alison Mosshart have done better in the past.

Really? Their drumming didn't sound off to me at all. But really, they're about the only good metal band in the mainstream at the moment, so try to give them an honest shot. It used to be my excuse too; boy, was I stupid back then. Growled or shouted vocals are just as legitimate as clean vocals; like clean vocals, they can be executed gorgeously or done very awkwardly and poorly. Well, at least you have me to discuss heavy metal with; if my brother actually had an account... ANYWHERE, he would discuss good metal with you as well. Wait, Isis are breaking up? Damn, first TV on the Radio breaks up and now Isis? 2010 is not a proud year in that department, it seems.

Yeah, De La Soul are brilliant; hip hop works best when it's performed by drugged-out hippies. Well, give some classic rap a try one day; you might find you really like it. I should've specified that I hate Auto-Tune abuse, which sadly is EVERYWHERE on the charts now; one time, I was visiting several shops with my dad and the radio happened to be on in two of the stores we went to. One of them was, of course, a song with nothing but auto-tune for vocals; when I walked into the other store, I thought it was the exact same song playing... it wasn't. But they sounded EXACTLY ALIKE thanks to that piece of shit Auto-tune. The only time I've ever heard Auto-Tune used for atmospheric purposes was in M.I.A.'s "20 Dollar", in which her backing vocals (which were all just moaning, anyway) were auto-tuned while the MAIN rapped vocals were in her usual aggressive voice. Still, I wish for nothing more than the complete destruction of every last Auto-Tune unit produced. 5570 songs?! Jesus Christ, you're a more avid music fan than I am; you have put me to shame, Bloc Partier.

Icelandic is such an interesting language, isn't it? I intend to learn it one day; however, Japanese comes first. I should probably listen to Crystal Castles one day; I need more proof beyond Arcade Fire and k-os that modern Canadian music isn't all commercialized dog shit. Do you mean happy, like, ska happy? Or happy in a dark, PJ Harvey-esque way?

I personally don't care what people do with Auto-tune outside of music; just KEEP the abomination away from the music world.

True. And they haven't really announced a release date or anything yet, but they are apparently working on it. Who knows. I haven't really listened to the Kills so much. I had a couple albums that I got but then I deleted them because I had too much music to listen to already...

I'm sure it wasn't off per se, it was just erratic and very unusual. I'll certainly listen to them at some point this summer. I guess I had only heard the shitty metal bands' growling, so I thought it was done awkwardly. Ugh. Makes me sick. Oh well. Why doesn't he have any accounts anywhere? I couldn't imagine having nothing online. And I'm glad we get to chat about it. You're, like, the only person I know who likes decent metal haha. TVOTR broke up?! No! They were the best! I heard they took an extended hiatus, but I didn't hear anything about breaking up...

Yeah, I'll listen to it eventually. Auto-tune abuse is truly awful, yes. I go with this one friend to lunch all the time during school, and he listens to nothing but rap, most of it very mainstream. I can't ever tell the difference between songs until like a minute in. It's disgusting. I'll have to listen to that song again, since good application of AutoTune is pretty cool. Two examples of its cool uses are Basement Jaxx' "Raindrops" and YACHT's "I'm In Love With A Ripper." The former is the only song on their new album that didn't feature another artist, and one of the two producers sang, which made it a really awesome song; the latter uses it excessively and obviously, but it just sounds good because it's got different-sounding vocalists and music in general. And that's only the songs I haven't listened to... I have 14,027 songs on my iPod. X_X

Japanese is too tough. And I don't really ever wanna move there like I do Scandinavia. :P Crystal Castles' new album is really great, but the old one is pretty bad. It's just all video game beeps and other strange synths, which initially sounds cool, but turns out unlistenable, in my opinion. The new one is much, much better though. Though it is home to Justin Beiber, Nickelback, etc, Canada actually does have its fair share of fantastic bands. I could give you a pretty nice list of good one if you'd like. And IDK, it might be ska happy, but I don't listen to ska all that much. It's just... cheerful. The exact opposite of Sigur Rós' first few albums.

My SoundCloud stats tell me that someone in Australia listened to my new song; was this you? Did you like it? I went for the sampled vocals because they were actually quite awesome.

Well, I'm hoping Thom Yorke hasn't grown stale; if Radiohead starts releasing unimpressive, lackluster material, I will shoot myself. The Kills are pretty cool; I love their loud, lo-fidelity sound. It's the way punk music SHOULD be made, in opposed to the glossy, over-produced BS in the mainstream at the moment (FUCK YOU, Green Day!).

Isn't that the standard trend in progressive music, tho? Well, so long as you at least give them a fair chance. Pretty much every metalcore band out there executes growled or shouted vocals in a horrendously grating way; it's like they're trying to make a black metal screech, but they chicken out half way there and wind up with a shrill, emocore squeal. GOD, it's horrible. He's not an internet person; I'm not about to force him to get an account here if he doesn't want one. You know, Stooben likes a lot of decent metal as well; you could talk with him about heavy metal, as well. Actually, I may have misread it; they probably did just go on an extended hiatus. Just the same, that means no TVOTR music for a long while, which is still bad. They were, like, my favourite new band of the 2000s, after all.

Everyone tells me auto-tune abuse is merely a passing trend and that I shouldn't worry too much about it, but it's not like big business at all to ignore such a quick and easy money-making scheme; this trend is going to spread and continue to completely destroy music from the inside. I'll give those two songs a listen, but I find it difficult to appreciate songs with copious amounts of auto-tune; for instance, I quite enjoy Daft Punk's work, but I just can't enjoy "One More Time" as the vocals are NOTHING but auto-tune. fakjrha, 14,027 songs?! OK, I'm handing my title of "Wiki Prince of Music" over to you; hell, you may be more worthy to be the KING of music than Stooben is.

Yeah it's tough, but I love Japan so I'm going to learn the language eventually. Well, I've heard good things about Crystal Castles' first album regardless, so I'll give both of their albums a listen anyway. Well, I know some great Canadian classics, such as Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Rush, The Band, and Leonard Cohen; more recently, we've had Arcade Fire and k-os, but that's all I can think of. Everything else is "meh", just plain awful or I haven't listened to it yet. I don't blame you on the ska thing; bands like Sublime and No Doubt completely destroyed ska. It used to be cool, but now it's just corny, unimaginative pop-rock. But anyway, I'll give the album a listen sometime; thanks.

Yeah, I listened to it, and it was fantastic; honestly, do you have any idea how much I ADORE voice sampling? I give the song a 10/10, would listen again.

Ah, sorry, I've been quite busy having fun in real life lately. lulz. :P I haven't been on the computer in days! :P

I would die if Radiohead went bad. OK, probably not, but still. And yeah, you can't have glossy punk. It just doesn't work. :\

Yep, I hated growling with a pretty good reason, since the stuff I had heard was pretty bad. Then I listened to Fucked Up, who yells or growls or whatever their vocals, and I actually liked it a lot. It's got a ton of emotion. Pure, raw emotion. It's very cool. Emocore sucks, lol. I hate it also. Yeah, I know what you mean, I have a couple friends who just don't do the internet. I envy them sometimes... I'll totally talk to Stoobs! ...probably. His PM's aren't going through. D: Ok, phew, I was freaked for a bit there. I assume you've checked out Kyp Malone of TVOTR's Rain Machine project? The couple of songs I've heard are pretty neat.

Yep. I totally agree. It's not just a trend; people LOVE it. But, I think, as long as there's some indie bands singing in their own voices, there will be followers, and there will be fresh, un-filtered music out there. The good thing about the songs it that it's not used to alter their voice too much; instead, it acts more as a vocoder (on YACHT's song) and a serious but not overdone improvement (in Basement Jaxx' song). Yeah, I don't like "One More Time" so much either. And yes, it's mostly the vocals. They're too slow and, yes, filtered. Heh. Yeah. It's too many songs sometimes. I've even deleted stuff sometimes because it's so overwhelming sometimes. In fact, I think I'll do that again sometime soon...

I'll certainly visit Japan, I'm just not interested in living there. I figure I can get by on English for the short time that I do visit. :P Yeah, I did the same with CC's first album. Tell me how you like it... Yeah, the classics are of course brilliant. But bands like the Rural Alberta Advantage and Broken Social Scene (to name a few) are maintaining that good image. But the fact that Nickelback came from Canada almost kills the country's reputation. D: Yeah, all the ska I've listened to has been pretty awful and corny. Oh, and MF DOOM is pretty cool, by the way.

YES! I'm so excited. I might do an entire EP by sampling historical figures, since that song was so fun to make. ;D

Fortunately, Thom Yorke is too good a musician to let the band fall into music hell. Punk rock is entirely about a rebellious lo-fi, do-it-yourself approach, so I lapse into a fit of rage whenever I see bands like Sum 41, Green Day and Blink 182 playing glammed up cock-rock and calling it "punk". Seriously, punk is near-completely dead; what, you have Gogol Bordello, TV on the Radio and Jack White's projects keeping it real, and that's it?

Don't you hate it when you're exposed to the worst of the worst? The mainstream sure loves cramming the lowest music down our throats. Yup, when done RIGHT, aggressive vocals can serve a song unbelievably well by adding so much raw emotion. I have a particularly strong hatred for emocore for being a huge part in punk rock's demise. Can't say I blame them; the internet is a cruel, twisted place, after all. Stooben's been gone everywhere for the past few days; wonder what happened to him? Actually, no, I haven't checked out Rain Machine yet; but anything attached to TVOTR has to be inherently good.

People love it because they're idiots; marketting knows that there's big money to be made by putting as little effort and money as possible into the product and then selling it to the lowest demographic at unbelievably unfair prices because the target audience don't know any better. Many indie musicians are very vocal about their visceral hatred of the auto-tune device; Neko Case's rant against it was particularly abrasive. I listened to them both; I liked the music on the Basement Jaxx song, but I just could not get past the auto-tune (it was far too much for me). The YACHT one was better; much of the vocals sounded like they played with a vocoder, but I could still hear the auto-tune sound in there which still grated on me a bit. Yes, I hate auto-tune that much. Yeah, Daft Punk really fucked up with that song, but at least I'll always have "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" to remind myself that the band are still really good. Man, it must be a real chore to have to listen to all those new songs; me, I just listen to new artists one at a time so that there's never a huge cue of songs that I need to listen to eventually.

I don't know whether I'll live in Japan or not; they have some pretty damn good noise rock, tho, so that's a big plus. I'll tell you how I like it when I eventually listen to it; I've been kinda slack with searching for new music, heh. A lot of my favourite music is from 50s-70s; Bob Dylan, Miles Davis and (of course) The Beatles are particular favourites of mine. Hmm, I'll have to give those two a listen one day; I'm always searching for bands to restore my faith in an otherwise poor region of music. Not just Nickelback; Avril Lavigne, Sum 41, 3 Inches of Blood, Celine Dion, Justin Beiber, Three Days Grace, and Finger Eleven are all destroying Canada's musical credibility. On the plus side, I just discovered Godspeed You! Black Emperor are Canadian; they're a great band. You should listen to the Specials, in that case; my God, their music is fun. ANYTHING from their self-titled debut will work; it's probably the greatest ska record ever made. I know, right? MF DOOM is probably my favourite contemporary rapper (well, he's been in the business since the 80s, but he's been most active fairly recently); he's so damn crazy and unpredictable.

Yay, that would be great; voice sampling is always fun! I'd totally buy the EP.

I like Foo Fighters, and Linkin Park. Monkey Wrench and Faint are my favorite songs. I also like Nirvana. Basically (even though I wasn't in them for long) I'm a 90s person.

I've been listining to video game music lately. My favorites have ot be Siege of Madrigal and The Legend of Zelda Underworld Theme.

As for my favorite bands, I like System of a Down, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, and Slipknot. I can't really pick a single favorite song, it depends on my mood.

Killer Axe said:
Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin
MAH BOI! That's my music! I love I hate Everything About You by Three Days Grace!

The White Stripes are one of the best contemporary mainstream bands, even if Meg White is an awful drummer. Linkin Park, on the other hand, are among the worst to come out of the already awful nu-metal and rap metal genres.

Remilia Scarlet said:
The White Stripes are one of the best contemporary mainstream bands, even if Meg White is an awful drummer. Linkin Park, on the other hand, are among the worst to come out of the already awful nu-metal and rap metal genres.
Agreed

CarboHydroM is pretty awesome. They remake Nintendo (and non-nintendo) game music, with electric guitars. Google them, b/c you can't find them on iTunes.

Remilia Scarlet said:
Well, people have their opinions and I just like LP.

Masked Man said:
Remilia Scarlet said:
Your loss.
I honestly don't see why you hate them, but just saying, I'm more of a 90s person.
Hell yes.

Anything from the 50s to the mid 2000s is good for me. It was about the end of 2008 or so when music started sucking.

E-102 γ said:
Masked Man said:
Remilia Scarlet said:
Your loss.
I honestly don't see why you hate them, but just saying, I'm more of a 90s person.
Hell yes.

Anything from the 50s to the mid 2000s is good for me. It was about the end of 2008 or so when music started sucking.
Agreed. Around 2008 was when music got really clubby. Good for dancing to at clubs, horrible to listen to.

Back