The Official Music Thread

Blue Monday said:
I personally believe Miles Davis was the greatest jazz artist of all time. But that's just me.
It's kind of a tie between Miles Davis and Glenn Miller for me.

βοομαν said:
The Beatles are the best.
The Beatles aren't jazz. They're rock.

I know.

Snow Miser said:
It's kind of a tie between Miles Davis and Glenn Miller for me.
Yeah, Miller was cool, but I'm more partial to Davis because of how innovative and open-minded he was; He even enjoyed punk rock!

Yesterday, I got a new Christmas album by Mannheim Steamroller.

It came out last year, and it's pretty good. A lot different from their other Christmas stuff. (Their other stuff is good as well)

For Christmas I got a couple of albums.

Miles Davis: Kinda Blue, as well as a B.B. King album.

I got a gift card, and with that I'll get some more Miles Davis.

I also got Kind of Blue. My mom's friend gave it to me today as a Christmas present. I also got a John Coltrane album.

@NG: I'm assuming it was also the Legacy addition with two CDs?

This was actually my first Miles Davis album, but I plan on getting more.

I really like this music; not too up-beat but not real slow, either.

Noahp89 said:
Miles Davis: Kinda Blue
It's 'Kind of Blue', but yeah, that album was fantastic. Best jazz album ever made, in my opinion.

Blue Monday said:
Noahp89 said:
Miles Davis: Kinda Blue
It's 'Kind of Blue', but yeah, that album was fantastic. Best jazz album ever made, in my opinion.
Agreed. My favorite, along with Time Out by Dave Brubeck.

Take Five and Blue Rondo à la Turk are my favorites.

I just created an iTunes account, and redeemed points to use to buy songs!

The songs I bought (and am currently listening to) are:

-You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch (Thurl Ravenscroft)
-Somebody's Watching ME (Mysto & Pizzi)
-Friends on the Other Side (Keith David)
-Heaven's Light / Hellfire (Tom Hulce & Tony Jay)
-Caramelldansen (Caramell)
-When We're Human (Michael-Leon Wooley, Bruno Campos, and Anika Noni Rose, featuring Terence Blanchard)
-Apologize (Timbaland)
-This is Halloween (Marilyn Manson)
-Y.M.C.A. (Village People)
-Poor Unfortunate Souls (Pat Carroll)
-Oogie Boogie's Soul (Ken Page)
-Crank That (Soulja Boy)
-Amish Paradise ("Weird Al" Yankovic)
-Fat ("Weird Al" Yankovic)
-The Saga Begins ("Weird Al" Yankovic)
-Live and Let Die (Paul McCartney)
-Say Say Say (Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson)

Making it a little easier for you, Bloc Partier. This is where we were up to in our discussion, right?
Bloc Partier said:
Yeah, it's annoying. I tried reading a couple magazines at my friend's house, but it just sucks. And yeah, it's truly awful. This really cool guy named Primary 1 just signed to Warner, and I was dumbfounded. He'll lose money, not make it. Or they'll probably make him make tracks with shitty pop artists like Ke$ha just to make a buck. Ugh. It's awful. And to hell with the free-marketers, it's screwing over America at the moment. But let's not make this a political argument. :P My teacher's awesome. :D

Isis are really cool. I can totally see your point, too; this kid I know hated them just because they scream some vocals, and he called them "not heavy," because he likes stuff that's heavier. WTF? Oh well. Korn and Killswitch Engage are awful. Not quite down to the level of Nickelback, but still really bad. Yup, I love the weird stuff. Always. I just get tired of the constant riffing that, to me, sounds so repetitive. And yeah, I'm far from a metalhead haha. Ah well. I'm dabbling in it.

Hahaha sweet! I can't wait till I get enough songs to finish at least an EP... I hope to start a full band this summer as well, so that should be great too. And yeah! I love how they became somewhat popular. It was great!
I think the only two REALLY good things Rolling Stone ever did was label Kid A as the greatest album of the 2000s (but then, Pitchfork did that as well) and place Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band as the greatest album of all-time. I remember when Liz Phair - one of the most honest women in rock music - signed to a major label and was forced to make tween pop songs like Britney Spears; it was pain. If you're going to sign to a major label, please stick to your usual style, like when The White Stripes signed to one.

Yeah, today's metalheads are stupid; my brother is cool, tho, since he hates almost all of this new Korn/Killsiwtch Engage metal, yet loves Isis and bands like them. Although he does want more bands that are just rocking and badass metal, like Mastodon. Actually, that whole "it's not heavy" thing is a major problem with today's headbangers; if it happens to be softer than Bullet for My Valentine (who are fucking awful), they don't like it. Just because it's quieter doesn't make it bad, dammit! Riffing is the best part of metal, tho; hearing someone like Kerry King or Scott Ian play the fuck out of that guitar on some of the coolest riffs known to man is what it means to be a headbanger. I guess it just takes some getting used to for someone not formerly familiar with the style, I suppose; it took me a while to appreciate much of today's alternative hip hop, like The Streets and M.I.A.

Looking forward to it, man! Sigur Ros were just a random band from Iceland that somehow became a huge hit worldwide; no one seems to know how that happened, but it did, and it was a very good thing.

Thanks, man! :D

Yeah, Kid A is truly one of the greatest albums ever. It's pretty much indisputable. Major labels almost always ruin artists, unless they're already bad. Or if there's a rare case like the White Stripes. They're on Jack White's Third Man Records though now, right?

The new "popular" metal just sucks. I don't even try to listen to it anymore because it sucks so bad. The problem is that most people I know either like the crap metal or hate all metal by default. Even if they have good taste otherwise, they generally hate metal. It's really annoying, especially with bands like Isis; they don't give them a chance. D: Yeah, I can totally understand the riffing if it's original and awesome... There are quite a few songs that riff like that and I'm just like, "this is awesome." But it's just generally not my thing. I'm still trying it though!

Yeah, hip-hop was the other genre I once hated. But these more obscure acts are really quite cool since they don't just talk about trashy club shit and their music is actually quite awesome. The popular hip-hop of today has the worst background music ever, which might be OK if they were actually saying something. :\ M.I.A. is quite awesome, and her political raps are quite thought-provoking. Mos Def is another who is actually rather awesome. I haven't really listened to the Streets.

Sigur Rós are just great. I think Pitchfork actually helped them rise to fame, which is ironic, since now they don't really care. Have you heard Jónsi's (the lead singer) solo album?

No prob.

Kid A was absolute genius; definitely among my favourites of the 2000s. That's true, but of course, there are exceptions that prove the rule; Sonic Youth and Nirvana come to mind. Wait, are they signed to Third Man? I know it's shameful on my part, but I haven't really been keeping up with The White Stripes' latest work; I have, however, been keeping up with Jack White's other project, The Dead Weather.

I hear that; my brother is so damn sick and tired of today's metal, yet being the devoted metalhead he is, he continues to explore more popular metal bands in hopes of finding at least one (besides Mastodon) that doesn't suck. I know I keep bringing them up, but Mastodon are a popular metal band that don't suck; they make concept albums and fixate on progressive-styled structures, summing up into one of the most badass sounds in metal since In Flames' first album. If you haven't heard them yet, give them a try. I have the same problem; everyone I know either enjoys the shit metal or hates it all without even giving it a proper chance, normally just because "it's loud" or "growl-y", which are such stupid excuses. Yup, metal is all about triggering one reaction from the audience, and one reaction alone; "THIS IS FUCKING BADASS!" At least you're making an effort to get into metal; everyone else I know is a stubborn prick about it.

Classic hip hop was pretty cool, with acts like Run-D.M.C., Public Enemy, and De La Soul. But as with most styles, the underground/alternative scene is where it's at for hip hop. The awful beats and predictable, unentertaining lyrics of today's mainstream hip hop may be bad, but the worst part about it is the abuse of auto-tune, that little device that's single-handedly DESTROYING talented music! Good GOD, I fucking HATE auto-tune; I hate it and musicians that abuse it more than anything else in music! M.I.A.'s political lyrics are actually what really drew me in to her music; I learned to appreciate the backing music from there. I never listened to Mos Def, actually; I've heard nothing but good things, tho, so I should definitely give him and his partner Talib Kweli a listen sometime soon. The Streets is great; his rapping style is really quite unique, with very clever surreal slice-of-life lyrics.

I still don't know how to pronounce Sigur Rós' name; I just don't understand how Icelandic works. Pitchfork are rather stupid that way; Sigur Rós may not be as good as they were back in 1999 (Ágætis byrjun is still their best album to date), but they're still good. No, I've never listened to his solo album; I presume it's very similar to Sigur Rós?

Have any of you guys heard of Dropkick Murphys? They did Shipping Up to Boston and State Of Massachusetts.

Dropkick Murphys are... alright, I guess. However, if I want celtic-punk I'll stick with The Pogues.

They're sort of one-hit wonders, with Shipping Up to Boston. I find it surprising State Of Massachusetts has only made it big among people who actually listen to most of their stuff.

Back