The Official Music Thread

I'm not a big fan of pop.
I'm going to get Blunderbus ASAP!

The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight said:
Yeah, that post's pretty old.

But since the subject of autotune was brought back up by it, I might as well state my opinion on it:

The problem with autotune is that it allows musicians to trick others into thinking they can sing well, or allows them to make utterly lazy music without even trying to get on pitch.
When the use of autotune is for artistic effect, though, that's another thing: since the autotune makes the voice sound robotic and cold, using autotune on a song that's about that sort of thing (i.e. Radiohead's "Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box") is appropriate and compliments the music.

It goes the other way around too: using the cold and synthetic autotune on a song that's supposed to be emotional and sad (i.e. Bon Iver's "Beth/Rest") can make it all the more heartrending, if it's done right. The fact that autotune makes the voice so emotionless works well in contrast to everything else about the song being so bleak. It sounds like the song is trying to be soulful but is being corrupted into (at the risk of sounding like a hipster douche) a sterile, mass-produced, radio-friendly unit shifter*- which makes it more soulful and sad than it would have been otherwise. It sounds like someone resisting "the system" and failing.

Boards of Canada do something sort of like that, but it doesn't involve autotune (except once, I think, on "1969," but I can't really tell), so I'm not going to get into it right now.

I don't know if the above paragraphs are comprehensible to anyone but me, but I'll take the chance.

Lily said:
So, Jamie and Damon have fallen out... Gorillaz might split/end. Plus Blur might to as the members other than Damon are not full time musicians, ALL OF MY FAVORITE BANDS WILL BE OVER!
My reaction

It's just a hiatus, though I must say I'm not really interested in Damon Albarn's non-Gorillaz projects (with the exception, of course, of Blur, but I don't think Blur have put out a really great album in a while).

*Not to be confused with the awesome Nirvana song of the same name.

I agree with this exact post. I think we're on the same page.

Also EDIT:
The 26th of this month was my birthday, and I received two tickets to see Beck at the Santa Barbara Bowl. I'm extremely stoked.

MarioBros2 said:
But now I listen to Pop like, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, and the like.

I really don't want to be a dick here, but this is the music thread, so I guess I'll express my opinion on those three.. musicians? I guess?

I really, really don't like Katy Perry and I'm not even sure Britney Spears is technically human anymore. I'd say that Lady Gaga is worth listening to, but she's very hit-and-miss. A lot of the tracks on Born This Way are quite good (though, unfortunately, the crappy title track and "Judas" are all anyone really knows from it).

There's lots of great pop music out there, but I don't think you're going to find it coming from Katy "I Wrote A Song Called 'Ur So Gay' And I'm Not Even Remotely Ashamed Of Myself" Perry. Don't you sometimes want songs that you really care about or that will genuinely move you?

That said: you are under no obligation to listen to me at all. Music quality is subjective.

Quickie-la said:
I received two tickets to see Beck at the Santa Barbara Bowl. I'm extremely stoked.

fucking hell i envy you

Don't you sometimes want songs that you really care about or that will genuinely move you?
Those are always the best songs.
http://bit.ly/KjeikL

MarioBros2 said:
But now I listen to Pop like, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, and the like.

I really don't want to be a dick here, but this is the music thread, so I guess I'll express my opinion on those three.. musicians? I guess?

I really, really don't like Katy Perry and I'm not even sure Britney Spears is technically human anymore. I'd say that Lady Gaga is worth listening to, but she's very hit-and-miss. A lot of the tracks on Born This Way are quite good (though, unfortunately, the crappy title track and "Judas" are all anyone really knows from it).

There's lots of great pop music out there, but I don't think you're going to find it coming from Katy "I Wrote A Song Called 'Ur So Gay' And I'm Not Even Remotely Ashamed Of Myself" Perry.

That said: you are under no obligation to listen to me at all.
I agree with Scarecrow, I'm just a creepy 14 year old girl who has an abnormal taste in music, I'm fucking proud of it too.

MarioBros2 said:

I really don't want to be a *bleep* here, but this is the music thread, so I guess I'll express my opinion on those three.. musicians? I guess?

There's lots of great pop music out there, but I don't think you're going to find it coming from Katy "I Wrote A Song Called 'Ur So Gay' And I'm Not Even Remotely Ashamed Of Myself" Perry. Don't you sometimes want songs that you really care about or that will genuinely move you?

That said: you are under no obligation to listen to me at all. Music quality is subjective.

Quickie-la said:
I received two tickets to see Beck at the Santa Barbara Bowl. I'm extremely stoked.
<br *bleep*ing hell i envy you[/i]
I'm not a fan of Katy Perry anymore, but, I'm kinda a geek, so I listen to NSMBWii video game music. Mainly the battle and World 8 music. And yes, I admit, I'm a geek. You can critcic the music, but please don't call me a geek or a nerd.

...?

what?

You just called yourself a geek twice and then said not to call you a geek.

and you can like whatever music you want to like, i was just expressing my views on the musicians you mentioned

...?

what?

You just called yourself a geek twice and then said not to call you a geek.

and you can like whatever music you want to like, i was just expressing my views on the musicians you mentioned
It's cuz I know I'm a geek, and didn't mean to mention it twice, and I don't like hearing it from someone else. And, it's fine.

geeks are pretty awesome though
Yeah, I like it when people think that, but it's a matter of opinion, so everybody has their own opinion.

I mostly listen to My Chemical Romance, Paramore and FOB.
I occasionally listen to the soundtrack of SMG2 especially the final Bowser level and Sky Station Galaxy 1 which are my fav tracks.

Sad news: Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died at the age of 47 from cancer. He was one of the founding members of the group, and his stage name was MCA.

Rest in peace, Adam.

Sad to hear, I always have liked the Beastie Boys. RIP, Adam.

RIP.

Also RIP to those two other people who died a while back.

As for music, I don't really pay attention to what genres the songs I listen to are. I like jazz, rock, pop, reggae and ska, mainly, but usually I'm not sure what the genre is, so I can't tell.

I guess Duran Duran, R.E.M. and Peter Gabriel would be my favourite artists.

You know, I never listed my favorite bands and stuff, did I?

Let's see...for genres, I think I already said this, but I mostly listen to various forms of Rock, mostly Classic Rock, Grunge, and Alternative Rock. Some Metal, Punk, Pop Rock, and Progressive Rock too. And I've gotten into New Wave and Indie music recently as well.

I like a lot of artists, but I'll list my top twenty (alphabetical order)

Aerosmith
Alice in Chains
The Beatles
Blink-182
Coldplay
Foo Fighters
The Killers
Linkin Park
Nirvana
Paramore
Pearl Jam
The Police
Queen
R.E.M.
Rush
Soundgarden
Stone Temple Pilots
System of a Down
Weezer
The Who

favorite songs include R.E.M.'s "Losing My Religion", System of a Down's "Toxicity", Linkin Park's "In the End", Nirvana's "In Bloom", and Foo Fighter's "The Pretender".

I suppose I will too.

For genres, like Smasher, I mostly listen to several forms of rock music. And, like him, metal, punk, pop rock, and progressive rock as well. I also like jazz, soul, funk, and Indian music (thanks to George Harrison and Ravi Shankar).

As for artists, I'll also list my top twenty (along with my favorite songs by them):

Badfinger - "Come and Get It"
The Band - "The Weight"
The Beatles - "Blackbird"
Boston - "Foreplay/Long Time"
Chicago - "Saturday in the Park"
Coldplay - "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall"
Electric Light Orchestra - "Mr. Blue Sky"
Led Zeppelin - "Kashmir"
Miles Davis - "Freddie Freeloader"
The Moody Blues - "Tuesday Afternoon"
Pink Floyd - "Comfortably Numb"
Queen - "Killer Queen"
R.E.M. - "Losing My Religion"
Roy Orbison - "Crying"
Rush - "Red Barchetta"
Three Dog Night - "Mama Told Me (Not to Come)"
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - "I Won't Back Down"
Traveling Wilburys - "End of the Line"
"Weird Al" Yankovic - "Hardware Store"
The Who - "Bargain"

My favorite songs include The Beatle's "Blackbird", The Moody Blue's "Tuesday Afternoon", The Band's "The Weight", and Derek and the Domino's "Layla".

Red Barchetta said:
(along with my favorite songs by them)

might as well do this as well:

Aerosmith - "Janie's Got a Gun"
Alice in Chains - "Would?"
The Beatles - "Paperback Writer"
Blink-182 - "All the Small Things"
Coldplay - "Speed of Sound"
Foo Fighters - "The Pretender"
The Killers - "When You Were Young"
Linkin Park - "In the End"
Nirvana - "In Bloom"
Paramore - "Misery Business"
Pearl Jam - "Jeremy"
The Police - "Message in a Bottle"
Queen - "Bohemian Rhapsody"
R.E.M. - "Losing My Religion" this is the best song and anyone who says otherwise is wrong
Rush - "Tom Sawyer"
Soundgarden - "Black Hole Sun"
Stone Temple Pilots - "Plush"
System of a Down - "Toxicity"
Weezer - "Buddy Holly"
The Who - "I Can See for Miles"

I should do mine
Gorillaz- Feel good inc.
REM- Nightswimming
White Stripes (Jack white too)- 7 nation army
Blur- Parklife
Led Zeppelin- Over the hills and far away
Rolling Stones- Sympathy for the Devil
Green Day- Bolevard of broken dreams
Subhumans/Culture Shock/Citizen Fish- Messed up
Red Hot Chilli Peppers- Wet Sand
The Raconteurs- Yellow Sun
Ting Tings- Great DJ
Calvin Harris (As a solo artist only, not as a feat artist with some crappy pop singer)- Girls
Bob Marley- Jammin
Lou Reed- the song about a guy being a meathead
David Bowie- Ziggy Stardust
AC/DC- A long way to the top

That's all I can think of for now...

Man, Smashy and Palk, I really need to listen to some of those artists more.

Like Smashy I do listen to various kinds of rock, but I also listen to general alternative stuff; select pop (i.e. Take That) and rap (Eminem); some metal (not so much screamo); orchestral soundtracks (i.e. John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman, Howard Shore, etc.); parodies (Weird Al); non-English songs/artists (i.e. Rammstein, Dragostea Din Tei - O-ZONE), Japanese Vocaloid songs (more JRock than JPop though); some non-mainstream techno/industrial electronica (Renard/FIAB/The Queenstons; SinisterPsyche); and of course, videogame music (The Black Mages, Koji Kondo et al). I'll just classify Homestuck music as altvideogame rock.

Can't be bothered to give further lists (specific artists/bands).

my favorite songs

only one by each artist, with the exception of radiohead and rem because it was really hard to pick just one from them

rem - "the sidewinder sleeps tonite"
rem - "drive"
radiohead - "cuttooth"
radiohead - "idioteque"
rush - "subdivisions"
silversun pickups - "skin graph"
slint - "nosferatu man"
gorillaz - "slow country"
bon iver - "calgary"
sufjan stevens - "the predatory wasp of the palisades is out to get us!"
massive attack - "risingson"
arcade fire - "(antichrist television blues)"
interpol - "public pervert (carlos D remix)"
soundgarden - "black hole sun"
depeche mode - "personal Jesus"
marilyn manson - "in the shadow of the valley of death" guilty pleasure ftw
nine inch nails - "capital g"
dj alex s - "melting pot of alcohol"
smashing pumpkins - "where boys fear to tread"
muse - "uprising"
b-52s - "roam"
childish gambino - "sunrise"
adele - "rolling in the deep (jamie xx remix ft. childish gambino)
tinie tempah - "written in the stars"
thom yorke - "atoms for peace"
the killers - "when you were young"
john denver - "leaving on a jet plane"
nirvana - "scentless apprentice"
beck - "hotwax"
kanye west - "power"
broken bells - "the ghost inside"
cee lo green - "fuck you"
queens of the stone age - "you think i aint worth a dollar but i feel like a millionaire"
foo fighters - "white limo"
bad lip reading - "morning dew"
dave clark five - "glad all over"
weezer - "say it ain't so"
boards of canada - "1969"
the black keys - "gold on the ceiling"
meat loaf - "two out of three ain't bad"
system of a down - "prison song"
pearl jam - "black"
johnny cash - "hurt"
daft punk - "television rules the nation"
my morning jacket - "remnants"
mgmt - "kids"
the hold steady - "constructive summer"
pink floyd - "the happiest days of our lives/another brick in the wall, pt. 2"
alice in chains - "angry chair"
lady gaga - "bad kids"
david bowie - "life on mars?"
bob marley - "three little birds"
spacemonkeyz - "strictly rubbadub"
coldplay - "the scientist"
bruce springsteen - "badlands"
aphex twin - "fenix funk 5"
eric clapton - "white room"

i'm hoping that there are those of you who know and love some of these songs so we can have a fanboy moment together

i could go on

Vocal Beat said:
dj alex s - "melting pot of alcohol"
thumbup.gif

That reminds me, when is this song going to be finished?

no idea; I haven't heard much Alex S. except for "Melting Pot of Alcohol," which I found via True Hambone Radio.

The song you posted does sound like it has lots of potential though and I hope it gets finished sometime, I'd like to hear the full thing.

MarioBros2 said:
Britney Spears

For LA History we had to highlight places of interest on a LA map. Someone suggested Britney Spears's house. No one in LA is proud to claim Britney Spears.

But anyway, I've been ripping a lot of my mom's old CD's to my computer for safekeeping. It would be a shame if they got too scratched up to listen to.

:'( I've already lost Disk II of Queen's greatest hits and a Linkin Park CD to the infernal disease of scratching. :'(

Back