Which newcomers do you think will (or won't) become mainstays in Smash?

Magikrazy

Donkey Kong
This installment in the Smash Bros series gave us 14 newcomers.

It's incredibly likely that not all of them will appear in the next game.

That being the case, who do you think will/won't?

Here's what I think.

Miis are definitely staying.
I also think Mega Man and Pac-Man are staying.
If Sakurai is returning, Palutena is also staying.
Rosalina, Bowser Jr., Robin, Little Mac, Villager, and Shulk are also likely.
Duck Hunt is possible if Ice Climbers don't return or if there isn't any other retro rep.
Wii Fit Trainer? Maybe.
The rest are a no. Greninja because hardly any Pokémon stay, and the others because they're clones.

I realize Falco and Ganondorf became mainstays after debuting as clones.
However, they were revamped and became less cloney.

I can't see how Lucina or Dark Pit could be anything other than clones.
That's probably because I haven't played either game, but I needed more than one cut.

Villager- I expect him to be a main stay from here on out.

Mega Man- Assuming relations between Nintendo and Capcom stay positive, he will be back.

Wii Fit Trainer- Will return

Rosalina- Depends if Nintendo is still shoving her into everything when the next Smash game rolls around.

Little Mac- New main stay.

Greninja- Could really go either way. Depends on popularity when the next Smash game is out.

Miis- Never going away as long as they continue to be avatars on Nintendo systems.

Palutena. Definite return.

Pac-Man- Likely, especially if Namco also helps with the next one.

Lucina- Will get cut unless she appears in another FE game.

Robin- Likely to stay.

Shulk- He will return.

Dark Pit- I see him either getting cut or getting a massive moveset overhaul.

Bowser Jr. Likely to return.

Duck Hunt Dog- I'm positive he will be back.

I wouldn't be surprised if the clones came back as alternate outfits

What I think are Staying
Megaman (If Sonic stayed, Megaman will too)
Pac-Man (Especially if Namco helps with the next one as well)
Mii Fighters (You're in denial if you think they're not going to be Smash staples from now on)
Rosalina (Mario rep)
Bowser Jr. (See Rosalina)
Duck Hunt (He is what ROB is to Brawl, as well as what Mr. Game and Watch was to Melee)
Villager (Animal Crossing has the potential to have two reps given the popularity for Tom Nook or even Resetti. Maybe even Isabelle considering how much we see her. Heck she's going to be playable in Mario Kart 8)
Shulk (He's going to be the Marth and/or Ness of the up and coming Xenoblade franchise. He may not appear much in future installments such as X. But he's the original protagonist of the first game)
Robin (There would be riots if they dare remove the one FE character that isn't just a Blue-haired swordsman)
Palutena (Whether or not Sakurai directs the next one, I think they'll keep Palutena along.)
Little Mac (I don't think I have many doubts about him returning)

Unsure
Wii Fit Trainer (She may return if she really becomes a bit of surprise hit with the fanbase after a good amount of years. But she may lose her novelty by the next game)
Lucina (Even being somewhat clonish gives you some doubts. Lucas and Wolf learned that the hard way. And Lucina unfortunately is far more of a clone compared to Lucas or Wolf.)
Greninja (Pokemon representation is almost never a certainty. It has had the most liberal with it's cuts. With Mewtwo, Pichu, Ivysaur, and Squirtle all being left behind after just one game. You can't be too certain about Greninja. Though Lucario returning in Smash 4 does give some hope)

Who I think (Or admittedly hope) will be cut
Dark Pit (I still stand by that Kid Icarus probably doesn't deserve 3 reps. Though if they have to have one, please replace him with either Medusa or Hades. I feel he's gone for sure if Sakurai doesn't direct the next one. But if he does, he will have a slight chance.)

Magikrazy said:
Wolf wasn't even cloney at all.

Yeah, but so was arguably Lucas. I'm not saying Lucina will end up exactly like what happened to them. But she's far more cloney then they were. And she might be less of a priority (In other words, she might be Smash 4's Roy pretty much).

Dark Pit and Lucina will probably be in trouble. Possibly Greninja too. Everyone else I think is here to stay, but you never know.

Of the newcomers, I really hope Dark Pit is cut entirely, or at the very least becomes an alt of Pit. They could even give him his own 8 alt colors ala Little Mac wireframe. His inclusion is insulting.

Mega Man and Pac-Man are really on the fence, depending on Capcom's and Namco's stance with Nintendo. Sonic is pretty much a Nintendo IP at this point, so he's likely staying. Nintendo should just buy the Mega Man IP from Capcom anyways, they're not doing anything with it anyways.

Realistically, I say Robin and Lucina will be cut (Lucina for sure), and there will be new characters to promote the new Fire Emblem game if there is one when Smash 5 start development. Ike could substitute for Robin in this case, too.

Greninja is likely going to be one-and-done, as much as I don't like to admit it.

Rosalina or Bowser Jr., one of them will be cut, it's just who becomes more irrelevant fastest. I'm going to say Bowser Jr., unless they decide to not do Koopaling alts next time because that was probably way more trouble than it was worth, imo.

Duck Hunt is on the fence as well, it's not past Sakurai to cut out characters with unique movesets.

It'd be weird to cut out characters like Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac who are the sole representative of their series, but then again, Sakurai had the gall to remove Ice Climbers and every single mention of Mother 3 minus ported Brawl trophies, so they might not be safe either. I say WFT is the most unsafe, and that Villager is most safe.

As much as I don't like or care for Miis, they're likely staying.

Of the vets, I think Toon Link and Dr. Mario, with the latter likely being the most possible (and we do not need eight Mario reps).

1. Villager- Animal Crossing is becoming one of Nintendo's big franchises. The Villager(s) will return, and I expect him/her to bring a friend along for the ride.
2. Mii Fighters- You could argue that Miis might be replaced in the future, but I honestly just see them becoming enhanced next generation.
3. Mega Man- As long as Capcom gives the rights to Nintendo for him to appear again, he will return.
4. Little Mac- It's quite a surprise that he was not included until now. He will be staying.
5. Duck Hunt- They are an excellent pair of retro fighters and deserve to return in the next installment.
6. Bowser Jr.- Considering the fact that he has stayed relevant for this long, expect him to return along with his mainstay father.
7. Pac-Man- His appearance in this game was big, so I expect him to return in the next game whether Namco develops or not.
8. Robin- The avatar mechanic from Awakening was well-received. I expect it to appear in later installments of the Fire Emblem series. Of course, this means Robin will probably be staying.
9. Palutena- There's no reason to cut her. She's a unique character and the headline fighter for character customization, which I hope and expect to be expanded in the next game.
10. Rosalina- She's a relatively new character, but if her reappearances in both the main series and spin-offs continue she will return.
11. Shulk- Northern Verve says it all.
12. Wii Fit Trainer- This is where the real questionable characters start to appear. While the Wii series is obviously dying, Nintendo might release a successor to Wii Fit as a part of their Quality of Life program. If not, Wii Fit Trainer's return depends on her reception by the fans.
13. Greninja- Like Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja's return heavily depends on fan reception. If the becomes another Pokémon staple, he will likely return. If not, he might get the Water Axe.
14. Dark Pit- Wait! He's not the last character? Why not? Well, even though he only has one appearance outside of Smash now, he might return in later installments of the Kid Icarus series. Kid Icarus: Uprising was well-received, and requests for a sequel are fairly common. Another major appearance or two might be enough to get the dark angel to return.
15. Lucina- Unlike Dark Pit, Lucina is unlikely to appear in later installments of her franchise aside from cameos and DLC. We could be surprised down the road with another Fire Emblem game starring Lucina, but the chances are very slim. As of now, Lucina is the least-likely character to reappear in the next installment of Super Smash Bros.

Smasher said:
Dark Pit and Lucina will probably be in trouble. Possibly Greninja too. Everyone else I think is here to stay, but you never know.
My thoughts exactly. Third party ones may also be in a but of a trouble as relations could sour.

From least likely to most likely of getting cut:

Mii Fighters: Seeing as they are one of nintendo's main mascots and have almost taken over the company. Certainly not getting cut and will become mainstay.

Villager: He's the main character came from a popular series that was overdue a rep. Also a mainstay

Little Mac: Another series that needed someone to rep. Popular and highly requested character as well. Will be mainstay.

Palatuna: Highly requested character from successful reboot. She deserved her spot and does not deserve to go. (only below because the above three were characters that the franchise needed).

Robin: A unique rep from a much loved game. Mainstay as well although slighy overrepresented but there's another character who's in more danger.

Bowser Jr.: He's a popular character from very popular series. Mainstay. Below Robin because Mario has a lot more reps.

Pac Man: Seen as the mascot of gaming as well as namco's contribution makes him very likely to be mainstay. Only reason to leave is copyright but namco does not have much of a problem with that.

Wii fit trainer: She represents a the popular (and mostly meh) Wii series. Small drawback is of the terrible sales of Wii Fit U but the first games success and the other wii game's success makes her much more likely to mainstay.

Duck Hunt: Like Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B., who returned in every game after their first makes him likely to return. However he might be get cut to make way for other retro reps but's the only real reason to remove him.

Shulk: Highly requested character from a much loved game. There is an issue that is that he's the least likely of the newcomers to appear in another mainstream game because of squeal which could result in a small chance of replacement.

Mega Man: People really wanted him as third party and got it right off the bat when he was announced seconds after the game was. Copyright issues could be a major problem as Capcom aren't treating the character or it's partners well recently making his chances of getting rejected by them a possibility. This is just like what happened to snake. Still more likely to be a mainstay.

Rosalina and Luma: She has been appearing in lot's of Mario games recently but the problem is that is that going to stay because what could happen to her could be what happened to Toadette and Brido where they had lot's of games until they disappeared (although the former has made a small comeback rencently). Should this happen to her, she could be in danger. If it stays the same, she's back.

Greninja: Pokemon characters have had 3 (4 if you count the trainers characters as separate) and seeing how he's only appeared in one game and gen 7 will be coming around, he could get cut make way for a gen 7 and possibly the return of Mewtwo. 50/50 on him.

Lucina: I don't want her cut at all for my own personal bias but it's likely to happen because she's a clone and her chances of appearing in another FE again is low. If she does appear, then her chances are likely but if not, which is the more likely to happen, it's unlikely.

Dark Pit: If there's no new Kid Icarus game before the next smash (tbh it's unlikely) he's gone without a doubt. If there is a new a Kid Icarus and he doesn't show up, he's gone and most likely getting replaced. Even if he does appear in the next Kid Icarus (which isn't too unlikely), the chances of him getting replaced because he's a clone is still likley. He's also unpopular when announced and has the least deserved spot out of all the newcomers makes his chances of returning very low and his chances of getting cut very high.

I will say that majority of these characters will stay and I only expect 3 or 4 of them to go. So hopefully everyone (expect Dark Pit, personal bias) can return. If vets are getting cut, then (from least to most again) Lucario, Toon Link and Dr. Mario are the only characters that have a chance of leaving.

I think if Dark Pit were to return they would at least have to give him an overhaul. Give him Uprising weapons and base his moveset on using them, otherwise he's probably gone.

Back