How do you prefer your game's difficulty, in general?

Easy poll, just pick a straightforward answer

• Really Easy

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Easy

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Normal

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Hard

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Really Hard

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
In story-based games, I prefer playing at the normal difficulty to not get in the way of the narrative too severely. Otherwise, I like a good challenge, but playing hard mode in a single-player game ain't got shit on fighting the good fight in a good, challenging player vs. player setting.

Generally normal, but with some games (like Spore) I prefer easy.

most of my favorite games generally involve painfully hard difficulty at some point or all points, so hard in general it is

e: should add it's gotta be fair hard like say yoshi's island, not bullshit hard like say iwbtg

I tend to prefer normal.

I prefer games to be normal-hard, since I want a little challenge but I don't want to be flipping off the screen every five seconds in rage.

But as everyone says, it depends.

Mario (not talking about RPGs) - I rather keep it on the easier side. It's meant to be fun and for the family, not challenging (imo). The sports games can be hard if they want, but keep Kart and Party relatively based on who's playing and not due to the game itself.

DK - I think that the DKC games are really great in difficulty and I like that I have to try a few times to get it. Not sure how I feel about the levels where it doesn't matter except for timing.

Zelda - I want it to be difficult in the puzzles. I want to feel like I accomplish something when I can go through a temple, like the Water Temples of OoT and TP. I really don't mind the fighting being on the relatively easy side, because SS had some enemies that were just annoying to fight because you have the instinct to just swing and sometimes the control does not like to cooperate.

Pokemon - I think it's perfect in terms of challenge for me, at least when I'm vs.-ing friends.

Pikmin - Oh man, Pikmin is such an excellent series for skill level. You can kind of set your level by how quickly you try to move through the game. I think the base level of difficiulty is already on the normal/hard side, but you can make it really tough. Pikmin 2 definitely was the hardest and Pikmin 3 is probably the easiest in terms of the enemies, but Pikmin 3 challenge mode is great for really pushing yourself.

Fire Emblem - This game might be where I need to pull back a bit since it requires not losing any of your members, and lots of soft resets. The beginning is usually rough for me since my men are at a low level, but usually by the middle-late chapters I am fine.

Those are like the main games I play in general, with a few exceptions.

Normal. A little luck is fine because luck can go either way, helping or hurting. Complete luck games can jump off a cliff though. If a game is hard because it require skill, it's okay with me. I may never become skilled enough but at least I know I'm losing for legitimate reasons.

Back