Studio Ghibli closing

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
I expected as much after The Wind Rises flopped at the box office.

Gulillilliant said:
I expected as much after The Wind Rises flopped at the box office.
In Japan it's one of the highest grossing movies of all time. It's their two last movies that haven't done well.

Ah, I was thinking of the foreign releases, my bad.

Birds_noooo.jpg

Dr. Javelin said:
wait what is this company

They made Ponyo, Spirited Away, etc.

really, educate yourself son. they're a great studio.

First Brawl in the Family, then my nearby Kmart store, now this...

For some reason, this reminds me of when the feature-film division of Warner Bros. Animation nearly became defunct early in the first decade of the 21st century after the failures of Looney Tunes: Back in Action, Cats Don't Dance and some other of their then-recent films.

Dr. Javelin said:
Baby Man said:
Dr. Javelin said:

I've never heard of either of those, although the names do sound vaguely familiar.
seriously?

kiki's delivery service? my neighbor totoro? grave of the fireflies?

well, with miyazaki retiring, i had no clue what kind of direction they were going.

better call it quits now than risk embarrassment down the line, i guess. still, what a sad day.

so wikipedia's telling me that they produce anime films, which explains why i haven't seen any of them

if you're going to bash me for not watching more anime then that's just silly, i'm backed up on tv shows as is

Dr. Javelin said:
Baby Man said:
Dr. Javelin said:

I've never heard of either of those, although the names do sound vaguely familiar.
javelin you personally told me you'd watch spirited away when you got around to it

Studio Ghibli is responsible for many animated films that are considered by many to be classics. Their movies are also somewhat known for having much more matures themes that Western cartoons. Besides Spirited Away, I think you would enjoy Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies.

I dunno what's sadder. The news... or BLOF's picture of the Barn Swallow trying to rouse its dead baby, omg.

they're not closing down, they're taking a break while they go through a company restructuring

o phew
some of my fav movies are from studio ghibli so id hate to see them go out ;-;

No-Face said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Baby Man said:
Dr. Javelin said:

javelin you personally told me you'd watch spirited away when you got around to it
Did I? I don't recall that... : /

Dr. Javelin said:
No-Face said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Baby Man said:
Dr. Javelin said:

Did I? I don't recall that... : /
yeah i said that i'd watch red october and you'd watch spirited away

well i watched red october so guess what you have to do

oh ok

well you didn't watch hunt for red october right away so i guess i don't have a time limit either, heh

Back