NSM plays Civilization V! (interactive LP) - Part 2: More Exploring

Yay. I may be taking this idea from some other users, but I think it'll be fun, mostly because you will have lots of freedom over what I'm doing so you could either make me suck, or make me amazing. You'll control my path with things like diplomacy, religion, and stuff like that.

Let's begin!

46AA62B2628134FC27D11A8D7000A80CFB5791F0

oh gosh, the dreaded selection screen. So many options. The fun thing is that you guys will have control over basically this entire thing.

Here will be the things you'll vote on. Copy this and bold your selection:

Civilization: There are 43 of these so I'm not going to list them all. Here is a list of civilizations (as well as special abilities)
Please pick as much as you want. The top vote earner will be the one I choose.
Map Type: (Continents or Pangea - I'm restricting this one to these two)
Map Size: (Small or Standard) - I just don't want to push my computer so just pick between these. Standard has 8 players and Small has 6.

Difficulty is going to be normal no matter what.
Game Pace will be Standard.

Also what victory type do you want me to go for (at least try)

Science (won by completing the spaceship by generating the most science)
Domination (take everyone's capitols)
Cultural (won by having your culture be influential on other civs and gaining tourism)
Diplomatic (become the world leader in the World Congress)

Thanks! It might be a bit bumpy but all in all I think this will be a lot of fun for everyone!

Re: NSM plays Civilization V! (with expansions) (interactive LP) (voting begins now)

Votes:
Germany
Pangea
Standard
FOR SCIENCE!

Re: NSM plays Civilization V! (with expansions) (interactive LP) (voting begins now)

We seem to do that with everything.

One of these days we're going to pull some totally insane two-person LP, except instead of struggling over the controller the entire time we'll just look like one person because we think too alike.

Let's get on it.

Vote:
Celts
Standard
Cultural

I havent played this game in ages. It looks like a foreign language now.

german, pangea, standard, science

Hilary Briss said:
german, pangea, standard, science
Looks like this is the combo that's in the lead. I'll keep voting open for a while though.

Play as Germany on the Earth map. Standard size is good, yeah.

As for victory, it's surprisingly easy to win with a military victory as Germany. Your early game is really strong because you get free military units 50% of the time after you clear out a barbarian camp, so you might want to go for that (you also pay less gold per turn to upkeep your army, which is good). However, don't feel like you need to go for a military victory - once your empire is strong and large enough you should probably just devote all your cities to developing science to win the game faster. I played as Bismarck on my first game and once I'd knocked out three civilizations from the game (I was so technologically advanced they could barely even scratch my units) I just settled for a science victory. Berlin and Munich were giving me +200 science per turn or something, it was ridiculous.

Make sure to get the Honor, Commerce, and Rationalism culture trees, and I'd go for Autocracy too for the late game.

Dr. Javelin said:
Play as Germany on the Earth map. Standard size is good, yeah.

As for victory, it's surprisingly easy to win with a military victory as Germany. Your early game is really strong because you get free military units 50% of the time after you clear out a barbarian camp, so you might want to go for that (you also pay less gold per turn to upkeep your army, which is good). However, don't feel like you need to go for a military victory - once your empire is strong and large enough you should probably just devote all your cities to developing science to win the game faster. I played as Bismarck on my first game and once I'd knocked out three civilizations from the game (I was so technologically advanced they could barely even scratch my units) I just settled for a science victory. Berlin and Munich were giving me +200 science per turn or something, it was ridiculous.

Make sure to get the Honor, Commerce, and Rationalism culture trees, and I'd go for Autocracy too for the late game.

But earth isn't one of the options

oh, i didn't see that. : (

i always play on earth map just because i think it's funny to see berlin based in east asia where china usually is. in my last game, i was playing as the united states of south america, which was fun

Dr. Javelin said:

i always play on earth map just because i think it's funny to see berlin based in east asia where china usually is. in my last game, i was playing as the united states of south america, which was fun

yeah, earth games are great
but they're so frickin huge

we should have a mariowiki game of civ

I would definitely join that.

...if only I had Civ.*quiet sobbing*

Tuxedo Ridley said:
I would definitely join that.

...if only I had Civ.*quiet sobbing*

*comforting pat on the back*
Don't worry
I hear the ultimate bundle is going on sale soon

IcicleRain said:
Dr. Javelin said:

yeah, earth games are great
but they're so frickin huge
Yeah why does Earth have to have so much water, it's kind of irritating. Makes travelling across continents really annoying (especially when you're at war with someone across the ocean).

I guess that's why I always make sure to have a strong navy, so I can take out enemy boats really easily.

Dr. Javelin said:
Yeah why does Earth have to have so much water, it's kind of irritating. Makes travelling across continents really annoying (especially when you're at war with someone across the ocean).

I guess that's why I always make sure to have a strong navy, so I can take out enemy boats really easily.

It's only really annoying if you're in South America, since there is no way of meeting people on Eurasia/Africa unless you get open borders with all the North Americans (until Astronomy anyway)

Also unless I'm playing someone ocean-based I'm not really too bothered about my navy. Usually I just have one or two ships protecting each coastal city.

When I started on South America I put as many cities as I could on the coast. It's just more convenient that way, so if I suddenly need a huge navy I can build lots of ships from my cities.

I like to focus on gold in Civ. Instead of having to waste lots of turns building one unit, I prefer to just stockpile lots and lots of gold so when I actually need to use my units I can just buy them immediately.

Dr. Javelin said:
When I started on South America I put as many cities as I could on the coast. It's just more convenient that way, so if I suddenly need a huge navy I can build lots of ships from my cities.

I like to focus on gold in Civ. Instead of having to waste lots of turns building one unit, I prefer to just stockpile lots and lots of gold so when I actually need to use my units I can just buy them immediately.

Also, SA is pretty much covered in mountains, so your only real chance of growth is the coast.

I usually have garrisons in every city so buying new units is a real pain (move unit out, buy new unit etc.) so I tend to buy buildings instead.

Back