Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 shot down over Ukraine

The Russian terrorists are fat heartless rats! My condolences to the families of the passengers as well.

Just shut up now
Why even creating this thread

Quizmaster Ruff Puff said:
The Russians are fat heartless rats! My condolences to the families of the passengers as well.
Isn't it just the Russian Terrorists and not the whole country of Russia? That's just like saying all Muslims are terrorists and not all are actually terrorists.

I can tell this'll cause lots of controversy but that's what happens when major things like this happen.

YoshiGo99 said:
The Russians are fat heartless rats! My condolences to the families of the passengers as well.
Isn't it just the Russian Terrorists and not the whole country of Russia? That's just like saying all Muslims are terrorists and not all are actually terrorists.

I can tell this'll cause lots of controversy but that's what happens when major things like this happen.

True. It was just them terrorists. My bad.

GalacticPetey said:
The Russians are fat heartless rats!
Well that's incredibly rude and generalizing.

I'll fix that.

I heard a number of rather notable AIDS researchers who were on the way to a convention in Australia were killed in the crash.

So not only have we lost 300-odd lives to the plane crash, but that number contains several individuals dedicated to saving others' lives. Whoo boy.

Blissey said:
I heard a number of rather notable AIDS researchers who were on the way to a convention in Australia were killed in the crash.

Yeah, a Dutch guy on the flight was a pretty prominent figure.

Interestingly, it was flight 17, it was shot down on the 17th of July, 2014, and its first ever flight was 17 years ago to the day.
Coincidence much?

People are blaming Russia already because they're still pissed about Crimea but until it's proven Russian soldiers the missile I'm not going to (directly) blame them.

They are indirectly responsible because it's likely the missile system was provided by Russia, but I personally think this is still mostly the plane's fault for flying over a war zone.

Dr. Javelin said:
They are indirectly responsible because it's likely the missile system was provided by Russia, but I personally think this is still mostly the plane's fault for flying over a war zone.
The flight path was actually mapped by Eurocontrol (which I'm assuming is the European air traffic authority). So if anyone other than the people who fired the missile are at fault, it's the ones who decided to have the plane fly over a conflict zone in the first place.

Dr. Javelin said:
People are blaming Russia already because they're still pissed about Crimea but until it's proven Russian soldiers the missile I'm not going to (directly) blame them.

it was russian terrorists, that's what we know already

what we don't know is whether Putin let this happen or not, that's why we need him to cooperate

Drift said:
Dr. Javelin said:
The flight path was actually mapped by Eurocontrol (which I'm assuming is the European air traffic authority). So if anyone other than the people who fired the missile are at fault, it's the ones who decided to have the plane fly over a conflict zone in the first place.

Most airlines know that Eurocontrol are ****ers who want everything out of their airspace ASAP, especially after the huge French strike last month.
MA should have checked and requested a change once they saw it was a warning zone.

Well, according to Nieuws.nl, Putin will be punished by taking away the World Cup 2018 from him. It'll be moved to The Netherlands, apparently.

Can I get a source for this, only thing I could find about the world cup was investigations, although it was mainly around whether Qatar bribed officials to get the 2022 one.

Well, according to Nieuws.nl, Putin will be punished by taking away the World Cup 2018 from him. It'll be moved to The Netherlands, apparently.

Well, Russia did already have a winter olympics this year...

Blissey said:

So not only have we lost 300-odd lives to the plane crash, but that number contains several individuals dedicated to saving others' lives. Whoo boy.
From a fatal disease and now progress will be set back for 10 years or so.

double whoo boy.

Иeptune said:
Dr. Javelin said:

it was russian terrorists, that's what we know already

what we don't know is whether Putin let this happen or not, that's why we need him to cooperate
I find the idea that Putin directly commands all the separatists extremely silly.

This isn't an RTS, guys. He can't see everything the little rebel soldiers are doing, much less "let" anything happen or not happen. The only thing you can blame him for is the callous distribution of heavy military hardware, so if you're going to attack Putin for something, do it on that.

Emperor Putintine

Well, there is the annexation of Crimea via military intervention that instigated the conflict, justified or not.

Sure, you can blame the whole conflict on him if you put it that way. But if the question is "did Putin authorize shooting down a civilian plane?", I highly doubt it.

You could also say he's extending the conflict by providing the separatists with arms, but you could also say that about pretty much any conflict ever where a large power has given someone weapons.

I personally feel like the Russian separatists should just either move to Russia or Crimea if they want to be part of Russia so much, but I also don't really see the problem with just letting a few eastern provinces join Russia if that's what they want so badly. But then, Ukraine couldn't really call itself a government if it just let provinces go without at least trying to stop them.

Here's the link to the article I found!

http://t.co/cXXHk8w28j
I shall put a translation here for all our English' convenience.

'Take away FIFA World Cup 2018 from Russia'
The idea to punish Russia by taking the FIFA World Cup from 2018 from them, is gathering strength. The American news website The Daily Beast pleads to move the WC to The Netherlands. RTL Nieuws reports this.

The magazine writes that in comparision with Russia, The Netherlands does is a footballmayor with an open democratic society. "300 people, of whom 189 Dutch, are killed by troops loyal to Putin."

According to the magazine, it's of importance to personally punish Putic for the drama, and not the entire Russian population. That is perfectly possible by taking away the WC football, just like the Olympic Games a personal prestigious project of his.

Earlier this day [20 July], retired professional football-player John van 't Schip called The Netherlands to boycott the World Cup in Russia. An American congress-member called not to have the WC 2018 in Russia earlier.

I agree with this punishment. Putin was responsible for everything the seperatists do, so moving the 2018 WC to The Netherlands is a great idea. That'll teach ol' Putin a thing or two about terrorist attacks.

Back