Interstellar (Christopher Nolan's new film)

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
Christopher Nolan (director of The Dark Knight trilogy and Inception) is making a new movie about wormholes and space. A poster was revealed today.
ST4N7yr.jpg

An official trailer will be unveiled with Godzilla. Until then, a teaser will have to do.
It's probably not right for me to get this excited about a movie when there's almost no details about it, but if this is going to be Inception but with wormholes, time travel, and alternate dimensions, I'm psyched.

Re: Insterstellar (Christopher Nolan's new film)

No-Face said:
It's probably not right for me to get this excited about a movie when there's almost no details about it

If I can do that about Maleficent, you can do that about this. By the way, if you hightail it to DC, you can see the trailer now. ;)

Re: Insterstellar (Christopher Nolan's new film)

this has bill irwin in it

bill irwin

i'm getting tickets

The tagline makes me think this movie will be kinda like the end to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

And then we find out they're canonically connected.

oh man i hated 2001 you wouldn't believe

like, remember how i said i don't like forrest gump? i still think it's a bad movie, but i can (sorta) see why people like it. 2001 just doesn't make any sense to me it's the worst movie aaaaauuuuuuugggghh

it's just

way

too

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Dr. Javelin said:
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
says the person who adores the lord of the rings

Length isn't a bad thing by itself, because it's nice if there's a lots of cool stuff happening, but there was nothing cool happening in 2001 until the part where HAL turns evil.

That means you have to sit through two whole hours of people just talking and slowly moving through space and more talking and some lame technology and weird pointless questions and argh

It's a whole different thing from Lord of the Rings. Even the most boring (when relative to the others, ofc) part, the first half of Fellowship of the Ring, is way more interesting than anything in 2001. In the same two hours you have a (brief) massive battle, cool backstory on the ring, a quest, fighting with unkillable undead kings, and a horse chase scene.

tl;dr length is okay as long as cool stuff is happening during the length

I'm pretty sure 2001 was meant to be a very visual experience and relied heavily on atmosphere and visuals. You know, a movie can be fine without an action scene every ten minutes.

well, the visuals didn't do it for me. it just looked dated for the most part

and i'm fine with movies that don't have action. some of my favorites, like patton and the truman show, have barely any action scenes

So the trailer came out with Godzilla. For those of you who didn't see Godzilla, here it is.

it looks like a modern version of 2001, but where there's actually a better reason for exploring and it has michael caine

i'm interested

NEW TRAILER
http://mashable.com/2014/07/30/interstellar-trailer-alien/
i'm going to cry this looks amazing

Update: We have 6 weeks to go, and Nolan has now announced that the movie will be 169 minutes long, making it his longest film yet (four minutes longer than TDKR.) Get hyped.

In the meantime, some sweet new posters.

sa3zDhG.jpg

Z3xoCXW.jpg

UeCVuuq.jpg

HYPE TRAIN IS LEAVING THE STATION, LAST CHANCE TO GET ON BOARD

We got a brand new trailer!

Plus, tickets are available! https://interstellar.withgoogle.com/ways-to-see

I'm going to see this in IMAX 70mm film, and it's going to be epic. My excitement level is through the roof.

So 90 minutes into the movie the screen went black even though the audio was still going, and then around 20 seconds after that the audio cut off too. I had a huge panic attack and thought that the projector broke. Turns out that theater had a surprise intermission. Thanks for the warning, folks.

So yeah, I saw this in 70mm IMAX, and I've gotta say, I cannot imagine seeing it any other way. The cinematography was truly breathtaking, and I spent a lot of the movie thinking to myself, "Holy shit."

Story-wise, I thought it was pretty good, too. I liked Inception's plot better, but that's not to say this was bad at all, either. The ending was a little bit iffy, yes, but I didn't think it was so bad that it warranted so many negative reviews. (I've seen a lot of movies with worse logic get great reviews. I'm looking at you, Source Code and Looper.) There were a bunch of parts where I started tearing up. The action scenes were also really well done.

I have to say, though, that I wasn't a huge fan of Hans Zimmer's score this time. It wasn't bad, but it didn't get anywhere near the greatness of Inception's soundtrack. And it got so loud at points that I couldn't hear the dialogue. Most of the time it didn't really matter so much, since the lines weren't too important, but there were one or two points where I really wished it would be toned down.

A lot of critics I read seemed to be complaining that the movie was too complex to understand, and... I don't get it. I'm no expert on relativity, but I was still able to grasp it pretty well, and even if you don't necessarily understand the science, the movie itself is still pretty understandable.

Overall, though, I thought it was fantastic. It's a true cinematic experience, something that's incredibly enjoyable, especially if you're watching it on a large screen. I beg you, if you have any way of seeing this on a 70mm IMAX screen, please do so. Don't wait for this to come out on Blu-ray.
So I'm assuming the reason this got negative reviews was because people didn't like the time manipulation part. Yes, admittedly, it was rather cheap, but it's still much better than other movies. And by other movies, I mean Source Code and Looper. God, how did those two get over 90% on Rotten Tomatoes? But anyway, I didn't think it was so bad of an ending that it ruined the movie at all. I mean, it's fiction. No one should be going into this movie expecting it to be a documentary on space travel. If it has to fudge a little bit, let it be. It's certainly not something to be caught up with.

Also, wow, Mann is such a jerk. Just, wow. Reading IMDB, apparently some people are complaining about his subplot, too. I didn't think it was bad. The guy was a selfish prick driven to insanity by loneliness.

also i could barely understand what michael caine was saying when he was dying. speak up man

Back