Do you prefer the long scale or the short scale?

Which do you prefer?

• Long scale

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Short scale

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

User4042

Celestial Guide
Wikipedia article

Long scale
10000002 = 1 billion
10000003 = 1 trillion
etc.

Short scale
1000000 * 1000 = 1 billion
1000000 * 1000 * 1000 = 1 trillion
etc.

I prefer the long scale, as it makes much more sense to me than the short scale, as the prefixes match the exponent.

Short scale because that's what I learned and that's what this country uses and I have absolutely no use or reason to even begin trying to get accustomed to long scale. Since I don't give a shit about math, things making sense to me only goes as far as if I can imagine it quicker i.e. the metric system makes more sense on paper but I can't picture how long a meter is but I can picture how long a foot is.

Morty said:
Short scale because that's what I learned and that's what this country uses and I have absolutely no use or reason to even begin trying to get accustomed to long scale. Since I don't give a *bleep* about math, things making sense to me only goes as far as if I can imagine it quicker i.e. the metric system makes more sense on paper but I can't picture how long a meter is but I can picture how long a foot is.
When I was younger, I always thought of numbers in the long scale, until I learned that "1ml * 1K = 1bl" was the "correct" way. I learned about the short and long scales about a year ago, and potentially due to my way of thinking long scale when I younger, it easily convinced me to use the long scale rather than the short scale, due to, in my opinion, the fact that it made more sense. However, when in class, I always use the short scale because that's what they teach in school.

wait this is an actual thing

how hard it it to understand that a trillion is a thousand billion which is a thousand million which is a thousand thousand

long scale seems kinda pointless to me, likely because i was raised on the short scale

but i mean what are you going to call a billion now? a thousand million? why not just call it a billion?

the short scale scales pretty well, and (at least for now) we don't really have use for any numbers over a quadrillion

It's called either one thousand million, a thousand million, or one milliard in the long scale.

well, that's what's officially used in the science community, where they actually deal with large numbers on a daily basis

Back