What are you listening to right now? (PLEASE put videos behind spoiler tags)

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Well, your mileage may vary, I suppose. Hipsters really annoy me, and Pitchfork is pretty much the homesite for them; seriously, so many of their reviews are extremely pretentious. I will never forgive them for giving PJ Harvey's Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea a low 5.5 rating! By the way, Beck is really frickin' awesome.

"Release the Pressure", by Leftfield featuring Earl Sixteen, Cheshire Cat and Ad-Libs

IT'S OVER 2000

My Funny Valentine -- J.J. Johnson

Yeah, I know what you mean. The real trouble is that half of the bodies of most of their reviews don't even talk about the music. >_> It's always some odd tangent that makes nearly no sense in context. Whatever. Their news section is actually pretty good.

"Baby!" by Lorentz & M.Sakarias

Bloc Partier said:
Yeah, I know what you mean. The real trouble is that half of the bodies of most of their reviews don't even talk about the music. >_> It's always some odd tangent that makes nearly no sense in context. Whatever. Their news section is actually pretty good.
I know, right? They really need better critics, man.

"How Soon Is Now?", by The Smiths

I still maintain my belief that The Smiths are the greatest indie pop band in history.

Hana Maru Sensation - Little Non

"History Lesson - Part II", by Minutemen

The Smiths are truly awesome. They've really grown on me. Actually, a lot of 80s alternative bands are fantastic. :D

"We're From Barcelona" by I'm From Barcelona

The 1980s may have been the second worst decade for music (the 2000s was the worst), but God was it great for its underground music.

"Hurt", by Johnny Cash

Well... 00's popular music was, indeed, awful. Truly detestable. I'd say it was one of richest decades (if not THE richest) for indie, electronica, underground, and I could probably name quite a few others. Still though, popular music of today does make me want to shoot myself in the face.

"ecstasy" by jj

It wasn't just the popular music on a sharp decline; quite a bit of indie music has become far too whiney and redundant. Not to mention the fanbase is even more arrogant and self-centered than ever before, making it very difficult to appreciate really good indie bands due to how annoying the fans are.

"Untitled #3 (Samskeyti)", by Sigur Rós

How the hell do you pronounce any of these names?

I'll admit that the more mainstream indie has become quite uninspired and less interesting than the beginning of the decade, but I still argue that the obscure subgroups have become far better than ever before. Even by itself, the creation of dubstep was truly groundbreaking in the electronic world; Joy Orbison's, 2562's, and others' alterations to the genre were even more game-changing. Animal Collective's organized yet chaotic noise pop, too, has been seriously influential. But, yes, the fanbase of all these genres are ridiculously annoying. However, I just take the music for what it is, not its fans.

And, heh, I guess you learn Icelandic to find out. :P Or Hopelandic. xD

"A Drowning" by How to Destroy Angels. AKA Trent Reznor's new project.

Bloc Partier said:
I'll admit that the more mainstream indie has become quite uninspired and less interesting than the beginning of the decade, but I still argue that the obscure subgroups have become far better than ever before. Even by itself, the creation of dubstep was truly groundbreaking in the electronic world; Joy Orbison's, 2562's, and others' alterations to the genre were even more game-changing. Animal Collective's organized yet chaotic noise pop, too, has been seriously influential. But, yes, the fanbase of all these genres are ridiculously annoying. However, I just take the music for what it is, not its fans.

And, heh, I guess you learn Icelandic to find out. :P Or Hopelandic. xD
Well, most of the poor indie I've heard was just the same four chords played on an acoustic guitar, probably because chicks dig simple acoustics over interesting complexity (...what?). I've yet to dig into the REALLY underground stuff, however, so I'll take your word that it's great, although defeating the 80s underground is a pretty difficult feat (at least, it is to me). Also, I frickin' love dub music; we need more of it, dammit! Oh certainly; the fans can't destroy good music or save bad music, they're sometimes just so damn obnoxious you always think of them when you listen to whatever band they're obsessing over. Tool's fanbase are a good example of that.

Heehee, Hopelandic. Such a silly concept.

"When the Night Falls", by Iced Earth

Fucking metal. \m/

Sister Golden Hair -- America

Yeah. I hate that trend. Play some complex, lyrical folk melodies, not plain, simple stuff. I'm glad we kinda agree on some stuff haha. Tool's fans are pretty awful. Nine Inch Nails fans can get pretty bad, too, but the awesomeness of the music makes up for it.

Speaking of metal, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that I have actually partially opened up to some types of it. :P

"Ice Cream" by Glass Flower. AKA me.

That's why I enjoy Joanna Newsom; her brand of folk is really interesting, contrary to what Rolling Stone magazine may say (then again, that magazine sucks balls). We've always agreed on quite a bit of stuff, tho; we're cool that way. NIN fans are so damn obnoxious; plus, a lot of them gave in to the awful overpricing of Year Zero just because it had the NIN name on it, thereby enforcing the rational that companies can overprice anything so long as the fans are obsessive enough to buy it no matter what the cost. It's not right, man!

Oooo neat; what kinds of metal? I myself have opened up to the more extreme styles of metal recently.

Oh that's right, you're making music too, aren't you? Mind giving me a sample?

"To Zion", by Lauryn Hill

"How Soon Is Now?", by The Smiths

Yeah! Joanna's really cool. Very thoughtful. That's the best word I know to describe it. :P Ugh, I hate Rolling Stone more than Pitchfork. They overlook or underrate so many great albums. :\ I'm just glad Mr. Reznor himself is telling his fans to download his music to rip off the big companies. Overpricing an album just because the fans will buy it is so ridiculously stupid. I actually wrote an essay against the big labels; I got a 100%. :P

Eh, some bits of black metal, lots of post-metal, and a bit of sludge metal. I could be missing a couple of the other styles I have, but those have been the most interesting to me so far.

And yeah, you can go right over to my SoundCloud and even download a couple tracks! Just, don't judge me too harshly, since I'm just starting out. :P The track "Ice Cream" is the best. http://soundcloud.com/glassflower

"Wasting Time" by Booka Shade.

A Milli

--Lil' Wayne

Bloc Partier said:
Yeah! Joanna's really cool. Very thoughtful. That's the best word I know to describe it. :P Ugh, I hate Rolling Stone more than Pitchfork. They overlook or underrate so many great albums. :\ I'm just glad Mr. Reznor himself is telling his fans to download his music to rip off the big companies. Overpricing an album just because the fans will buy it is so ridiculously stupid. I actually wrote an essay against the big labels; I got a 100%. :P

Eh, some bits of black metal, lots of post-metal, and a bit of sludge metal. I could be missing a couple of the other styles I have, but those have been the most interesting to me so far.

And yeah, you can go right over to my SoundCloud and even download a couple tracks! Just, don't judge me too harshly, since I'm just starting out. :P The track "Ice Cream" is the best. http://soundcloud.com/glassflower
Indeed she is; she kinda reminds me of PJ Harvey, actually. Rolling Stone only go after whatever's popular, and have been known to hypocritically invert their opinions to match the standards of the majority; In the 1970s, "Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin are the worst bands ever!", in the 2000s, "Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin were geniuses!". These are supposed to be PROFRESSIONAL critics, dammit! Why are big labels so cruel now? They used to be great back in the day, but now they're just tyrants with no concern for the music at all. It's disgusting. Heh, cool; your teacher must've been an indie fan.

Whoa, black and sludge metal? Seriously? Those are two of the least accesible genres of metal; I'm surprised you jumped on the metal train starting with those. But yeah, the experimental strands of black and sludge are really cool. If you want some music that's just balls out badass metal, try the thrash metal bands like Metallica (BEFORE The Black Album) and Anthrax (these guys are funny).

OK, thanks! Listening to some right now;

"Ice Cream", by Glass Flower

Reminds me of Aphex Twin. Good job, Bloc Partier!

Back