Brave New World

Dr. Javelin

Nathan Latsk
Wow.

This is one of the best books I've ever read. Unlike 1984 (which I found to be unrealistic and pointless), Brave New World actually makes sense and raises far more questions about what's right for humanity and freedom and passion vs stability and happiness. And leaves the answers up to the reader. It's so much better, take that George Orwell (although i still love animal farm).

also it's a much better society than 1984's

Anyways, anyone else read this book? What did you think?

It has been years since I read it, and truthfully, I probably forgot most of it because of my terrible memory, but I do remember absolutely loving it. Gah, I really do not remember much. I am going to look the plot up to job my memory.

Dr. Javelin said:
Unlike 1984 (which I found to be unrealistic and pointless) [...] take that George Orwell

also it's a much better society than 1984's
tumblr_mbjaxkrJzi1roglxl.gif

JUST WHEN I THOUGHT WE WERE FINALLY GOING TO BE FRIENDS JAVELIN

I BID YOU GOOD DAY

ive (forcibly) had to read this for one of my english classes
i read like 20 pages and sparknoted that shit cause fuck that noise it was like 200 pages
anyway all i gotta say is john is an og for liking shakespeare and trying to change the world and shit and lenina is a dirt nasty slut
oh and the director was bich made and that mustapha dude too
the whole fucken city was fucked up
i dont blame john for killing himself in the end
anyway after i read the sparknotes i realized it was probably a good read but w/e

ps i hate reading books

^Every time I hear Dvorak's New World Symphony, I think about an incredibly hot group of Korean women talented dance team.

Minako Aino said:
ive (forcibly) had to read this for one of my english classes
i read like 20 pages and sparknoted that shit cause fuck that noise it was like 200 pages
Yeah, I found myself skimming a bit. But not too much.
Minako Aino said:
anyway all i gotta say is john is an og for liking shakespeare and trying to change the world and shit and lenina is a dirt nasty slut
lol

although you can't really blame lenina because she was raised that way, along with everyone else

Dr. Javelin said:
although you can't really blame lenina because she was raised that way, along with everyone else
good point, its that soma man
john shut her down tho man, that was legendary, like this chick was all ready to go and hes like nope.
he did that shit like dragon ball style
like this

Toothless said:
Wait Javelin, I just realized you said that Brave New World's society is better than 1984's. They are both dystopians. Their societies are supposed to be terrible.
If you're given the choice to live in either society, anyone would rather live in Brave New World's.

And that's kind of what makes it a dystopia. The society drowns everyone in everything they could ever want or need, and everyone is perpetually happy. Is that truly dystopia? Is this a society that you honestly could take down without causing grief and suffering to everyone who lives in it?

Brave New World's society is basically a utilitarian's dream world, and it's not easy to make an argument against it. The government doesn't even kill dissenters, it just relocates them to private islands where they live separate from the rest of society so they won't disturb the stability.

In 1984 everyone is unhappy (except the Inner Party, I guess) and only by lying to themselves and being brainwashed (through torture) do they achieve some sort of twisted happiness.

I guess that's why I like Brave New World much better, because the government actually has a reason to keep existing (1984's government literally exists just to have power, while BNW's exists to continue the stable and happy society) and actually leaves you asking if it is a dystopia or not. Sure, it's different, but does that make it dystopia?

I read Brave New World in Grade 11; it was awhile ago, but I remember liking it - until the bit at the lighthouse, anyway.

Back