Need a VGA splitter cable

Specific Neptune

how're you doin'
Pronouns
Any
Does anyone know where I can find a good VGA splitter cable, that's capable of extending the screen? It's just so I can have an extra monitor to do technical stuff with. All the other cables I've looked at only copy the screen over, and I'm finding it impossible to find the one that I actually need.

Additional question: Is there a technical name for this? Could make it easier to search for one.

I'm pretty sure that's not what splitter cables are for. You need a machine capable of CrossFire or Nvidia Surround, I'm afraid, and that requires a proper graphics card from AMD or Nvidia.

Splitters are to duplicate an imput to multiple outputs, for example to have a screen in front of you, and a large projection behind you for presentations.

In your case, you need a graphics card with multiple outputs. I don't think it's limited to AMD or Nvidea though, it's more that the manufacturer has to put multiple ports on the card. Some of the newer cards have that.
However, multiple cards also work, out of own experience. So, if you have a spare graphics card somewhere, it could work already, though own experience proves that you might have to tweak settings in the BIOS. Not necessarily, might.

it's weird, cause in college we just have to stick the cables into the back of the monitors and we can have extended monitors over two screens

Lakituilveloce said:
Splitters are to duplicate an imput to multiple outputs, for example to have a screen in front of you, and a large projection behind you for presentations.

In your case, you need a graphics card with multiple outputs. I don't think it's limited to AMD or Nvidea though, it's more that the manufacturer has to put multiple ports on the card. Some of the newer cards have that.
However, multiple cards also work, out of own experience. So, if you have a spare graphics card somewhere, it could work already, though own experience proves that you might have to tweak settings in the BIOS. Not necessarily, might.

Nvidia and AMD are the only graphics card manufacturers left, though I think Intel's integrated graphics also support multiple/extended displays.

Mrs. Doubtfire said:
AMD supplies my graphics card, so i've got that then

You'll need multiple ports, keep that in mind. You may need to use a VGA-to-insertformathere if your two monitors only support VGA.

Everyone else pretty much said what I was going to say. You might also be able to use an HDMI or DVI cable for your second monitor as well if you have the ports and cables avaliable to you. My monitors at home are connected by HDMI and VGA.

Back