WarioWare: D.I.Y. (Home) Improvement Thread

GBA

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
OK, since GS's WarioWare: Smooth Moves collab was such a success, I've decided to replicate it by creating a new collab dedicated to improving the UGC-centric title WarioWare: D.I.Y. and all articles relating to it, with a little extra help from Squiddy himself. Since Smooth Moves was improved, WarioWare: D.I.Y. is now arguably the worst main WarioWare article on the wiki, and here's why:

• Multiple missing sections such as "Development" and "Reception and Sales". The opening cutscene before the title screen could also warrant a "Story" section ty GS. The "Gallery", "Staff" and "Contests" sections also breach the empty section policy.
  • The "Features" section needs to be rewritten, expanded, and split by game-creation tool and pre-built content. taken care of by GS, just needs expansion on the pre-built content section
  • The "Modes" section is just a bulleted list of one-liner sentences, which could easily be expanded upon.
  • Not counting the microgames, Most of the articles relating to WarioWare D.I.Y aren't linked to in the article except via the nav template. There aren't many of these atm, but hopefully that'll change with this collab
  • The "Trivia" section is too long
  • In general, the article is lacking in images, and the Gallery itself needs improvement

If anyone wants to help out with the article then feel free to call dibs on any of the above tasks. Aside from that, there are some other things that need to be done relating to D.I.Y:

So yeah, hopefully this collab will be just as successful as the last one. Thanks everyone :ashley:

For now, I'll call dibs on starting the D.I.Y forum page and transcripting entry 1-9 (that's what I have unlocked).

ok so I've decided to focus on images, including ones for the records and comics tables

on that note, I found these through the WarioWare DIY website. Most of them are just altered versions of the official artwork, but there's some unique ones in there, so which ones should I upload?
nav-home.png

callout-master-mantis.png

callout-warioman.png

callout-characters.png

callout-warioware-icon.png

callout-wario-bombs.png

callout-connect-with.png

callout-jimmy.png

callout-young-cricket.png

callout-penny.png

callout-wario-makermatic.png

callout-wario.png

callout-wario-2.png

callout-wario-3.png

callout-wario-4.png

callout-kid-1.png

callout-kid-2.png

callout-kid-3.png

callout-kid-4.png

callout-penny-teaching.png

callout-penny-teaching-2.png

char-makermatic-21.png

char-mona.png

char-jimmy.png

char-ashley.png

char-orbulon.png

char-9volt.png

There could be more, these are just the ones I found. There's a flash that contains images of the locations, but I can't dump them unfortunately.

i have (i think) all of the microgames that were on the WWDIY Showcase online thing, I'll probably change my wifi settings to see if the ds WWDIY online has anything different available

we can only get info on the american microgames, though, unless anyone has access to the japanese/european servers (i imagine the latter is more likely than the former)

Created the D.I.Y. Forum. Obv. I don't have much unlocked so I'd need help (read: someone else) to write the transcripts and make the character list.

Glowsquid said:
Created the D.I.Y. Forum. Obv. I don't have much unlocked so I'd need help (read: someone else) to write the transcripts and make the character list.

I can work on this, since I assume I have everything unlocked for it.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Talk:D.I.Y._Forum

if we could figure out what to do about this that'd be cool

also apparently there's 51 threads on the diy forum like gs said but i don't know if it holds water or not (for reference, i have 33 threads unlocked and will start putting them up once i have any idea what to do about ordering them)

Ragna the Bloodedge said:
http://www.mariowiki.com/Talk:D.I.Y._Forum

if we could figure out what to do about this that'd be cool

also apparently there's 51 threads on the diy forum like gs said but i don't know if it holds water or not (for reference, i have 33 threads unlocked and will start putting them up once i have any idea what to do about ordering them)
I would also like to help transcribe the D.I.Y. Forum and I have 43 unlocked at the time of this post. I also noticed that some of the threads are indeed in a different order for my copy (North American) with "Play on Wii? HOW?!" being #18 for me while it's #7 for GS.

Lol I've got 60. They're also in a starkingly different order for me as well (e.g. #4 is listed as #11 for me). I reckon each one has a hidden criteria to unlock, so they could be in any order really. turb's idea to remove the numbers altogether sounds best. perhaps we could group them by type instead?

also shall I go ahead and upload all of those images?

GBAToad said:
Lol I've got 60. They're also in a starkingly different order for me as well (e.g. #4 is listed as #11 for me). I reckon each one has a hidden criteria to unlock, so they could be in any order really. turb's idea to remove the numbers altogether sounds best. perhaps we could group them by type instead?

also shall I go ahead and upload all of those images?
I think removing the numbers altogether and grouping them by type does sound like a good idea. I've also got all the ones I have unlocked that aren't up yet transcribed and ready once it's all agreed upon on how they should be organized.

what would they be grouped by, the little icons next to them in the main forum thing? i'm pretty sure they correspond to specific thread types (if i could rip the icons i would consider uploading them if it'd be useful at all)

also i think you should go ahead and upload all of those images, having dupes shouldn't be too much of a problem

yeah that's what I was suggesting. I'm not sure they have official names tho, but my guess would be Games, Music, Comics, Graphics, Assembly, Wii, and General (that little callout with an ellipsis in it) If someone could rip their sprites then that'd be cool but it doesn't really matter if we don't have 'em.

I'm 100% positive the threads are numbered by the order you get them so I removed the numbers and grouped 'em by type. I don't think there's any "order" within the thread types so don't sweat it.

I think I have 64 forum threads unlocked, I'll go get my 3DS and paste them all in here.

#1 - Making games is HARD!
AAAaaah - I want to get into game making, but I just...can't. Why can't games just make themselves?!
VROOM - Dude, the whole point is to be creative--so create!
KAGE - or, y'know, import some diamond software games and change 'em around :)

#2 - MakerMatic hits the big time!
DI.Why - I heard that almost all games now are made with the MakerMatic engine!
MeOWza - I think everything in D.I.Y. Shop is, yeah.
blobmob - crygor must be wearing a lab coat made of money lol

#3 - Naming stuff is a pain...
AAAaaah - Ugh! EVERY object and art needs a name??! Tired of thinking up new ones! :(
John Sun - Just press OK without entering anything. MakerMatic'll do it for you!
blobmob - i use that all the time lol

#4 - No good at music
AAAaaah - I can't make music, maestro doesn't do it for me, and I hate stealing from other games. What to do??? :(
KAGE - you could also take a single phrase out of any record
AAAaaah - Good idea!

#5 - Cool Assembly trick
Javier - Hey, kids, you can scroll AI notes with the +Control Pad or the X and B buttons.
Phonee - I NEVER would have tried that, Javier! Major props!
SureTire - AI notes? That's where you can just read all of an object's AI at once, right?

#6 - A new challenger appears!
Smoth - The NinSoft store on Nintendo WFC has design challenges! They set themes for you to make games on!
foe-vine - What happens if you win?
123POP! - Winning games get made available in Theme Games! Fame and fortune, whoo!

#7 - no good ideas!
AAAaaah - Game ideas! Why don't you live in my head already?
VROOM - Dude, you're the one who bought the MakerMatic...
T-shirts - I feel your pain, AAAaaah.
KAGE - try using auto for game names to get ideas :)

#8 - Did you notice when you zoom in...
Javier - you can use the +Control Pad or the A, B, X, and Y Buttons to move your field of view?
Phonee - Whoa! There's Javier, making everything more awesome again! Javier is THE man!

#9 - Neat Record controls
Javier - You can change tracks with up/down on the +Control Pad or the X and B buttons, and move around inside the track with left/right or Y and A buttons.
Phonee - Cool, it works! I love you, Javier!

#10 - Cool Assembly trick #2
a + b - There's this neat thing I like to do when placing objects or framing stuff. I hold the L or R Button down, and I can move and place things precisely, click by click.
D.I.Why - This is a pretty popular feature. It's not just you.

#11 - WarioWare, Inc. secret!
VROOM - Just heard a rumor that Jimmy T. and Mona of Diamond Software used to work at WarioWare, Inc.!
blobmob - for real? why'd they leave? was there a big fight? lol
D.I.Why - I heard Wario never did any work! I hear he's up to something now, though...

#12 - Huh? Assembly Dogo?!??
#13 - Play on Wii, too!
#14 - Wario-Man Software?!
#15 - It just stopped!
#16 - Comedy really IS hard
#17 - Ashely's records :)
#18 - How many can you send?
#19 - Too complex
#20 - What makes a good game: #1
#21 - Any luck with Hum mode?
#22 - Getting clean drawings
#23 - Play on Wii? HOW?!
#24 - HUGE Sound FX Discovery!
#25 - Cartridge label easter egg!
John Sun - Hey, I just noticed that the game cartridge and label colors affect the color of the frame around the game when you play it!
D.I.Why - Old. Lock. Ban.
VROOM - Yeah, I knew that, too. Same deal with comics.

---

To be continued.

It's great that someone has them from the NTSC-U version.

Those images are uploaded and the gallery has been improved, but we still need more for the article.

also I didn't know what to caption the 'kid' callouts with so I left them blank (Year of D.I.Y Shop girl 2014, anyone?)

Well, I've plopped down all the DIY Forums I have and went ahead and made even more categories for them based entirely on their icons and context. All I can do now is just create pages for the locations since my internet router is too advanced for Nintendo Wi-fi connection.

yeah i put some on the page earlier too, i should probably try to fill in the comics section (pretty sure i have some of that stuff, at least i hope so) since it looks ded

like i said i'm gonna change my router settings to see if i can get the (presumably) different games from the wwdiy online soon

so I got bored and found a sprite sheet for the game

klzknki.png

Since I've unlocked them all (and I've got waaay too much time on my hands), I figure I could make some of the records and comics from the game to illustrate the tables, but if anyone else wants to help out then that'd be cool since there's a lot of them

alternatively if someone could screenshot each completed shelf then we could just chuck those next to the tables instead of making each individual record/comic

I've done the Options Garage article. Honestly, it seems like it's the best way to make these location articles, so if everyone is all right with the way it looks, I can start the other ones. The only articles that probably won't follow this format is the D.I.Y. Shop and Assembly Dojo articles. I disagree on making a separate article for each room in the shop, though, because it would just result in four small articles that are better off being in just one large article, imo.

no objections here

hmm unless someone can get those images from that flash I mentioned, the only suitable images I can find for the locations are those tiny over-world sprites

would that suffice?

I've split the "Feature" section into Editor and pre-built content, and added some more informations. I can finish the later, but I'll let someone more familiar with the editor write about it.

Also, going back at the opening post...

GBAToad said:

... needs to be a real smiley.

Ira Gamagoori said:
I'm completely fine with that. It's better than no image at all, anyways.
cool, uploading them tomorrow

Glowsquid said:
I've split the "Feature" section into Editor and pre-built content, and added some more informations. I can finish the later, but I'll let someone more familiar with the editor write about it.
That's a huge improvement, thanks. I might tackle the pre-built content section later if I can

Glowsquid said:
GBAToad said:

... needs to be a real smiley.
actually yes

there's a sprite from D.I.Y which would suit this, but it's a tad too small sadly

ok so location sprites are done afaik
GBAToad said:
so I got bored and found a sprite sheet for the game

klzknki.png

Since I've unlocked them all (and I've got waaay too much time on my hands), I figure I could make some of the records and comics from the game to illustrate the tables, but if anyone else wants to help out then that'd be cool since there's a lot of them

alternatively if someone could screenshot each completed shelf then we could just chuck those next to the tables instead of making each individual record/comic
should I continue doing this or would it be unnecessary

I think it'd be best to upload them all individually as I doubt anyone here has them all unlocked, so the grouped picture is probably out of the question.

Back