17 Year Old Gunned Down By Cop For Answering Door Holding a Wii Remote

Yeah, it's quite possible it was genuine human error. It's still very tragic, though. I guess that's why there's an investigation and I also guess that's why we're not the investigators.

Well I never thought of it being a black Wiimote. The popular Glock is black. But if it turns out to be the way more common White one, what excuse would there be then?

But if we allow her to get away with this, what's the next thing a cop will be able to claim looked like a gun? In fact, "What's next, a Wiimote" sounds like a sarcastic question posed at an even less ridiculously sounding event! A cop should not be allowed to kill someone if the individual does not have a weapon. They must be 110% sure. And if they hesitate and get killed because they aren't sure, and someone really did have a weapon and meant them harm for whatever reason, that's too bad. They join the police force and swear an oath to protect and serve. They swear and oath to put their lives on the line. This sort of thing should never happen period.

The point that Javelin's trying to make isn't that it's acceptable to kill someone if they have a Wiimote. All that he is saying is that we do not know the entire story, and we should only react once we know everything that happened.

Chuck Ballymoo said:
But if we allow her to get away with this, what's the next thing a cop will be able to claim looked like a gun? In fact, "What's next, a Wiimote" sounds like a sarcastic question posed at an even less ridiculously sounding event! A cop should not be allowed to kill someone if the individual does not have a weapon. They must be 110% sure. And if they hesitate and get killed because they aren't sure, and someone really did have a weapon and meant them harm for whatever reason, that's too bad. They join the police force and swear an oath to protect and serve. They swear and oath to put their lives on the line. This sort of thing should never happen period.
Have you ever been in a situation where you thought your life was on the line? it's all cool to jump against her right now but until you have been in a situation where you don't know if they have a weapon and you think your life is on the line and you have to make a split second decision don't act like you know what your talking about

Wall Doxey said:
Chuck Ballymoo said:
Have you ever been in a situation where you thought your life was on the line? it's all cool to jump against her right now but until you have been in a situation where you don't know if they have a weapon and you think your life is on the line and you have to make a split second decision don't act like you know what your talking about
Alright. My point was I'm a civilian. It is a little different with police officers. If they are supposed to risk there lives to protect US. It's their job. Therefore, they should put themselves in slight risks at times not to make a horrible tragic mistake and kill an innocent civilian. If they aren't sure, then they had better wait until they are sure.

Chuck Ballymoo said:
Wall Doxey said:
Chuck Ballymoo said:
Alright. My point was I'm a civilian. It is a little different with police officers. If they are supposed to risk there lives to protect US. It's their job. Therefore, they should put themselves in slight risks at times not to make a horrible tragic mistake and kill an innocent civilian. If they aren't sure, then they had better wait until they are sure.
And what if the person has a gun and shoots and kills the cop? Is a cop stricken of the right to make a mistake or to defend themselves because there a cop?

Wall Doxey said:
Chuck Ballymoo said:
Wall Doxey said:
Chuck Ballymoo said:
And what if the person has a gun and shoots and kills the cop? Is a cop stricken of the right to make a mistake or to defend themselves because there a cop?
I guess you're right. Mistakes can happen. But I still don't know how her lawyer will argue that mistaking of all things a Wii Remote for a handgun... A Nerf Gun would be outrageous(it looks nothing like a real gun but at least it's a gun) and this is ten times worse than that even. Really, it's as bizarre sounding as if someone mistook a pencil for a gun. Even if it was a Black one the only similarity is the color.

Things like this phrase annoy me.

"I'm ashamed to live on this planet" makes it seem like you are so well versed and amazing an outstanding that you have the right to stand above everyone else on the planet and be pretentious enough to feel nothing but simple shame for them.

Was he balancing the Wii Mote along the side of his hand? With his index finger under the B button and his thumb along the side? Very strange and improbable way to hold a Wii Mote, but the only way I could understand it. Maybe I am so disturbed by this because I see it as something that could have conceivably happened to me. I don't always put down my Wii Mote if I get up to answer a door.

Doctor Walter Bishop said:
Things like this phrase annoy me.

"I'm ashamed to live on this planet" makes it seem like you are so well versed and amazing an outstanding that you have the right to stand above everyone else on the planet and be pretentious enough to feel nothing but simple shame for them.
That's not the way I meant it though...

I meant that's really stupid that someone had to die for holding something that not even closely resembles a gun

I'm not saying I'm far above everyone else, but I am ashamed that people would do things like that.

i completely understand, sorry

it's eleven o clock and i'm being a pretentious douche myself

i start getting cynical past ten; goodnight

You can understand some people having kneejerk emotional responses upon hearing a 17 year old kid was killed for holding a Wii Mote... can't you?

Morty said:
A good rule-of-thumb is to not use a website that has the political party's ideology they're trying to endorse in the paper's name--"Libertarian".
I thought that only applied to opinion articles or cases where the only news source is an obviously biased news source.

CBS | NBC | ABC | CNN

But I can agree if your point is that it's bad to use the death of a teenager to support one's political agenda.

Morty said:
But yeah this thing is kinda shitty, like, why did the officer have her gun ready to shoot immediately? I can only assume she did because if she would've had to take time to grab her gun, remove the safety, and shoot it, she could've easily had the time to realize that it's a Wii remote.
The whole situation is just very unfortunate. I hope what can come out of it is better training for police officers who are placed in situations like this so it doesn't happen again.

This sad story reminds me of a lighter one where the guy tries to steal stuff from some shop, by making them believe that he had a gun in his pocket. PS3 remote.

Sylveon said:
Apparently one of the student protesters was raped by one of the colectives with a rifle.
I think you might be in the wrong thread

But what I don't like is that the police officer DIDN'T announce she was the police, even when she was asked who was there, nor did she order the person to drop their weapons, as a more professional officer would have done. Shooting is supposed to be a last resort thing.

Wall Doxey said:
Sylveon said:
Apparently one of the student protesters was raped by one of the colectives with a rifle.
I think you might be in the wrong thread
OH SHIT THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO GO IN THE VENEZUELA THREAD.

I apologize for the wrong thread post.

Back