Discuss: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga Enemies

Time Turner

You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
Being an RPG, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga has recoloured and stronger versions of enemies that appeared in earlier locations. This is a practice that tons of RPGs employ, to signify an increase in difficulty. The problem is, the stronger enemies keep the same name as their weaker counterparts, despite them being clearly different enemies. Limbo Bro., Gritty Goomba, Chuck Guy, Pestnut, and possibly others are all examples of this. Because they have the same name, and regardless of the fact that everything else about them is different, they're sharing the same article. I'm not asking whether or not they should be split, because with things like Super Fly (Super Fly (enemy)) and Dry Bones (Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga) having articles, the clear standard is to split them. My only concern is with the actual name of the article.

Well, more specifically, the identifier for the article. We can't just call the articles "Pestnut (enemy)", since both variants are enemies, and we can't call them "Pestnut (Mario & blahblahblah)", since both variants appear in the same game. The Dry Bones example I listed above went through a few name changes before settling on using the game. At first, it was called Garon, after the Japanese name, but that didn't work since we already had an official name in English. Later, it was referred to as Dry Bones (Teehee Valley), which is the location in-game that it appears in. Those four enemies that I listed above use the colour of the enemy as an identifier, which I find a bit odd, though there is (Chap (blue)) precedent (Chap (green)). So... what would be the best course of action?

So, there's several things that make the recoloured enemies different. Their strength, sometimes their look and where they're found. Their appearance doesn't always change from what I remember of the game and even then it's a poor way to identify. Putting the location as the identifier could work, but I'm more for making the identifiers differentiate between their strength since that's the most notable difference.

So perhaps something along the lines of "enemy (weaker)" and "enemy (stronger)"?

Time Turner said:
the stronger enemies keep the same name as their weaker counterparts, despite them being clearly different enemies.
In English, anyway.

I'd say go with location: it's more informative (and therefore more useful) than colour.

Yeah, I think using the locations would be the best course of action. I'd split them myself, but the articles don't give nearly enough information for me to be able to split them using that alone. Would it be possible for someone with more knowledge of the game to split them?

Back