Please recommend some DS/3DS titles, I seriously have no idea

Lin Beifong

Iron Chief
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
I bought a 2DS pretty much to play Pokémon and expecting to acquire a bunch of games after that, but then it occurred to me that I have no idea what Nintendo is even up to these days. So I figured: Why not utilize the limitless potential of the interwebs and have people more knowledgeable about this stuff share their wisdom with me?

So yeah, it would be nice if you could name a bunch of games that you think are worthwhile to play. I like atmospheric games with a charming narrative and interesting premises. I like games with strong, compelling characters. I like games that blend storytelling and gameplay. I like humorous games. I don't enjoy games that are generic, feel soul-less, or contain lots of empty dialogue.

Also, if you do post a recommendation, please explain why you like the game. Like, don't just say "This shit is the best thing ever made pls go buy it twice". If it's really that good, there's probably something amazing you can talk about.

Anyway, please tell me which DS and 3DS titles you think are worth looking at.

You could try Zelda: A Link Between Worlds? I haven't played it but I heard it was pretty good and it was praised more than some of the newer Zelda games. I think in this game you through walls as a drawing as its main point.

Also, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon is great. It's basically the first Luigi's Mansion, but with mission-style gameplay and is much longer and has much more content in it. It tells the story through cutscenes, and Luigi is pretty charming in them.

First and most importantly, play the Mario & Luigi series, and any Zelda games on the handhelds, which would be Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Link Between Worlds. (Because ninja'd on that one.)

Fire Emblem Awakening.

It's a good game because of how well Fire Emblem merges the RPG and turn-based strategy genres. You have a bunch of unique characters with unique classes. And now, you can keep changing classes multiple times until you have the character just right!

The Mario & Luigi games would also be great, because of fun RPG combat. And humor. Probably mostly for the humor. Plus in Bowser's Inside Story, you get to play as Bowser. Which is awesome.

I personally recommend the Professor Layton games, if you really enjoy puzzle-type games. The style and the characters are charming and the stories (particularly in Unwound Future) are fantastic. There's 6 in the series so far (Curious Village, Diabolical Box, Unwound Future, Last Specter, Miracle Mask, and Azran Legacy) with a crossover on the way (Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney), so make sure you start with Curious Village if you do want to play them. :)

Fire Emblem Awakening

There is so much to do in this epic anime fantasy RPG.

Those are some good suggestions.

Baby Luigi said:
You could try Zelda: A Link Between Worlds? I haven't played it but I heard it was pretty good and it was praised more than some of the newer Zelda games. I think in this game you through walls as a drawing as its main point.

Also, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon is great. It's basically the first Luigi's Mansion, but with mission-style gameplay and is much longer and has much more content in it. It tells the story through cutscenes, and Luigi is pretty charming in them.

I already have my eyes on Luigi's Mansion 2 because it's-a Luigi! :luigi: But I guess I'll wait a bit until the price drops, because right now it is a bit too expensive for my taste.

Is there anything that significantly sets the new Zelda apart from the others? I've only seen a bit of gameplay footage and judging from only that it looks like a remake of A Link to the Past, but with Ghirahim with a paintbrush as the villain and you can go inside walls. If there's not something amazingly notable and distinct, I think I'm going to pass on that game. The formula just by itself is getting a little too stale for me.

Dracomon said:
First and most importantly, play the Mario & Luigi series, and any Zelda games on the handhelds, which would be Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Link Between Worlds. (Because ninja'd on that one.)

I played a bit of Superstar Saga up to the point where you have to travel over the sea or something. It was a bit minigame-y, but nice. I don't think I will be able to play Bowser's Inside Story, because the thought of being inside a living creature majorly grosses me out. Also oh my GOD I hate Starlow. So, so much! Aaaaagh!!! Least favorite Mario character.

Dr. Javelin said:
Fire Emblem Awakening.

It's a good game because of how well Fire Emblem merges the RPG and turn-based strategy genres. You have a bunch of unique characters with unique classes. And now, you can keep changing classes multiple times until you have the character just right!

The Mario & Luigi games would also be great, because of fun RPG combat. And humor. Probably mostly for the humor. Plus in Bowser's Inside Story, you get to play as Bowser. Which is awesome.

Yeah I actually played with the thought of getting FE:A. But occasionally I hear things like "ZOMG the plot is weird and sucks", so I am hesitant. Are the characters any good? I usually forgive games for having a bad plot if the characters are enjoyable.

Dean Winchester said:
I personally recommend the Professor Layton games, if you really enjoy puzzle-type games. The style and the characters are charming and the stories (particularly in Unwound Future) are fantastic. There's 6 in the series so far (Curious Village, Diabolical Box, Unwound Future, Last Specter, Miracle Mask, and Azran Legacy) with a crossover on the way (Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney), so make sure you start with Curious Village if you do want to play them. :)

I heard of that series and I think I'm gonna give it a shot.

Gabumon said:
I played a bit of Superstar Saga up to the point where you have to travel over the sea or something. It was a bit minigame-y, but nice. I don't think I will be able to play Bowser's Inside Story, because the thought of being inside a living creature majorly grosses me out. Also oh my GOD I hate Starlow. So, so much! Aaaaagh!!! Least favorite Mario character.

You could try Dream Team or Partners in Time.

Warning for Dream Team: it uses gimmicky gyroscopic controls at one point.

Have you played Ōkami? If you have and didn't hate it, you might like Ōkamiden (it's a DS game). It has interesting characters, many characters from the first game make appearances, and they were pretty interesting themselves.

Gabumon said:
Is there anything that significantly sets the new Zelda apart from the others? I've only seen a bit of gameplay footage and judging from only that it looks like a remake of A Link to the Past, but with Ghirahim with a paintbrush as the villain and you can go inside walls. If there's not something amazingly notable and distinct, I think I'm going to pass on that game. The formula just by itself is getting a little too stale for me.

As I understand things, it has a rental system, where you can rent items and use them in dungeons, pretty much letting you do them in any order you want.

Gabumon said:
Yeah I actually played with the thought of getting FE:A. But occasionally I hear things like "ZOMG the plot is weird and sucks", so I am hesitant. Are the characters any good?

I wouldn't say the plot sucks but it gets a tad convoluted once all the time travel and stuff starts setting in. It's not the most groundbreaking story in a game but I think it's alright. As for the characters, they seem kind of one-note at first but the more you have them fight together, the more they get fleshed out.

I recommend Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies. From my experience, the writing is hilarious and has more soul than a bunch of shoe stores, the characters felt compelling and were never bland, the story-telling meshes well with the gameplay and the game (thanks to its brilliant music) has a darn powerful atmosphere. And it's also fairly cheaper than most games, so that's also a plus. Just for the record, you'd have to download it though since that's the only way.

Mienfoo said:
Gabumon said:
Yeah I actually played with the thought of getting FE:A. But occasionally I hear things like "ZOMG the plot is weird and sucks", so I am hesitant. Are the characters any good?

I wouldn't say the plot sucks but it gets a tad convoluted once all the time travel and stuff starts setting in. It's not the most groundbreaking story in a game but I think it's alright. As for the characters, they seem kind of one-note at first but the more you have them fight together, the more they get fleshed out.

pretty much this, the story isnt too bad but there is better storylines within the series.

Characters make up for it though and the missions and music are pretty solid.

Anyway i suggest trying out shin megami tensei devil survivor overclocked.

It's sort of a remake of the original smtds game, but with voicing, extra content, and more endings if i recall.

It's a tactical game but has a pretty good story and pretty interesting characters, but also very hard.

Although it might be better to get the original for the ds, since i hear that the voicing actually can lag the game, overall though its solid, certainly one of the more interesting tactical games out there.

Also another one for ds is megaman zx. The game has familiar gameplay from the megaman x series but with more exploration and the classic weapon changes, map is kinda confusing, but overall really good game, also dat music.

smt strange journey is also a good game, especially for a dungeon crawler. Real great story and some likeable characters, although its pretty hard and some of the later bosses feel a bit much, good game though.

Gabumon said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Fire Emblem Awakening.

Yeah I actually played with the thought of getting FE:A. But occasionally I hear things like "ZOMG the plot is weird and sucks", so I am hesitant. Are the characters any good? I usually forgive games for having a bad plot if the characters are enjoyable.
The characters are as a whole goofier than in previous installments, and so is the plot, but we're really only complaining in comparison. The plot's okay.

And hey, we wouldn't have done a name change fad if we didn't like the characters, right? There are plenty of likable characters, and the ones you don't like you either get to kill or they just sit in the back of your army and never get used. So don't worry!

Dr. Javelin said:
Gabumon said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Fire Emblem Awakening.

The characters are as a whole goofier than in previous installments, and so is the plot, but we're really only complaining in comparison. The plot's okay.

And hey, we wouldn't have done a name change fad if we didn't like the characters, right? There are plenty of likable characters, and the ones you don't like you either get to kill or they just sit in the back of your army and never get used. So don't worry!

although i wonder how many people have actually played any other fe games other then fe8 and awakening.

Glaceon said:
I've played through FE6 and FE7 as well as most of FE8, personally.

well thats a start.

Just hope no one plays fe5.

Princess Zae said:
Dr. Javelin said:

although i wonder how many people have actually played any other fe games other then fe8 and awakening.
I played a little bit of Radiant Dawn(well, until the chapter in the Swamp. You judge.). I would've gotten further, but I saved in the middle of an unwinnable situation.

So I bought Fire Emblem Awakening for starters, will get Luigi's Mansion 2 at a later point, will look into the Professor Layton series and also the other suggestions. I don't think I will be getting the new Zelda though, because item rentals aren't really enough of a deviation from the usual formula of the series to draw me in.

Wario: Master of Disguise. It's like...seven dollars now, Idk. Game got so much hate, but I loved it. I'm sorry in advance for the temple level; it's hard as hell.

ALSO WHEN SHOVEL KNIGHT COMES OUT, BUY IT.

Back