Fighting is Magic

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Anyone remember that My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fighting game that was being made a while back?

Well, for those of you not up to speed, here's the story, at least as far as I know: among the many fan-games being made for the show, Fighting is Magic was one of the more anticipated (along with My Little Investigations, which... I honestly don't know how that's doing, I kind of fell out of touch with it). This is because the team behind this project, Mane6, was incredible dedicated to making this a legit fighting game, and working to make sure it was balanced! Little detail to little detail were revealed, slowly but surely; only 6 characters were revealed, that being the main 6 characters of the show (Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy), as well as 6 totally awesome music themes to go with them (seriously, go search them down on YouTube, you'll love them!). The amount of work and detail going into this project got so big that it started to get attention in the actual gaming circuit, particularly the indie game community. They even received an invitation to the July 2012 Evolution Championship Series to show off a demonstration!

This attention may have been their downfall, though, since even though they were working on this game with no budget (relatively speaking) and intended to let people play this game for free, Hasbro sent them a Cease & Desist February 8, 2013. Despite trying to reason with Hasbro, Mane6 received no replies from them, or offers to negotiate. All seemed lost... until Lab Zero Games (the developer of Skullgirls) and Lauren Faust (the original showrunner of Friendship is Magic and "creator" of the characters in that show) came into the picture, and were more then willing to help them with their project! Lab Zero Games provided a special fighting game engine, named Z-Engine, for the game, while Lauren provided new, original characters for the game... And as it turns out, she JUST released her first bit of official artwork for the game:

http://fyre-flye.deviantart.com/art/Fight-or-Flight-423770647

http://www.mane6.com/

fight_or_flight_by_fyre_flye-d70aviv.jpg

My thoughts:

Really awesome and CUTE! I especially like those ice nymph things!

So yeah, even though you might not be able to actually fight as your favorite ponies (unless you found that prototype/alpha build that became available on the 4chan image baord, /mlp/ somehow), this is still definitely something to look forward to!

I find it utterly insane that Hasbro sent a cease and desist order for a game people aren't even profiting from. It shows how screwed up copyright laws are.

Dr. Javelin said:
ernesth100 said:
I've heard of this while looking up MLP music.
...that's an actual thing too?

No response found. Please try again later.
Oh God, there's so much fan-made music for this show, it's unbelievable. There must be at least 3 new songs a day, if not more.

Smaug said:
Is there response now?
yeah, i think i recall listening to some brony music once

i was over at someone's house and he had this music playing that was apparently some remixed version of the title song

i honestly don't see how it was improved at all, other than the possibility of use as subliminal messaging

i like how jav enters these topics just to show how he despises anything related to mlp.

Dr. Javelin said:
Smaug said:
Is there response now?
yeah, i think i recall listening to some brony music once

i was over at someone's house and he had this music playing that was apparently some remixed version of the title song

i honestly don't see how it was improved at all, other than the possibility of use as subliminal messaging
It's not just remixes, there are a LOT of original songs, too. It's really hard to say what about the show inspires so many people to make music like these...

Actually, I'm impressed that they took a fanmade game and managed to turn it into a real published game.

that said the idea of a fighting game involving ponies is just pure comedic gold, it's hard to resist

and also if i despised everything mlp, i couldn't watch joshscorcher's hilarious commentaries!
Smashgoom202 said:
It's not just remixes, there are a LOT of original songs, too. It's really hard to say what about the show inspires so many people to make music like these...
Wait, really?

So we're in agreement that it's strange that there is music inspired by the show, right?

Dr. Javelin said:
So we're in agreement that it's strange that there is music inspired by the show, right?

It's strange, yes, but I don't see what's wrong if they have the ability and the time to make songs, they do it.

Baby Luigi said:
I find it utterly insane that Hasbro sent a cease and desist order for a game people aren't even profiting from. It shows how screwed up copyright laws are.

My uneducated, unsourced, and noncommittal guess is that they saw this was a fighting game, and they got worried that a bunch of easily irritable parents were going to confuse it for an official thing and jump to the conclusion that MLP supports violence.

That or they were getting edgy about how some people were tinkering around with their franchise and getting publicity, without Hasbro having any control over how and for what that publicity was going to be used.

Baby Luigi said:
Dr. Javelin said:

It's strange, yes, but I don't see what's wrong if they have the ability and the time to make songs, they do it.
Hey, I'm not saying they should stop or anything. As long as there are people who are actually entertained by it, there's nothing wrong with entertaining people.

Dr. Javelin said:
Wait, really?

It is strange, but then again, if they can see the beauty and charm in this show enough to write beautiful, catchy, and/or awesome music, I really don't see how that's a bad thing in any way. Inspiration can come from a number of strange places.

Gabumon said:
My uneducated, unsourced, and noncommittal guess is that they saw this was a fighting game, and they got worried that a bunch of easily irritable parents were going to confuse it for an official thing and jump to the conclusion that MLP supports violence.

That or they were getting edgy about how some people were tinkering around with their franchise and getting publicity, without Hasbro having any control over how and for what that publicity was going to be used.

I think the second one is more likely, judging by what Hasbro has done in the past (I THINK they took advantage of the -----ty YouTube strike system against people who are not even close to breaking copyright laws, but I'm not sure about that, so please don't quote me on that) and how big of a corporation they are (yeah I have little faith in big corporations in general).

Dr. Javelin said:
Baby Luigi said:
Dr. Javelin said:

Hey, I'm not saying they should stop or anything. As long as there are people who are actually entertained by it, there's nothing wrong with entertaining people.

But I don't think it's that strange. Don't other fandoms do this too? I know Mario for a fact has people making original/remixed/covered songs too.

Baby Luigi said:
But I don't think it's that strange. Don't other fandoms do this too? I know Mario for a fact has people making original/remixed/covered songs too.

The Zelda fandom does it as well. There are even online radio stations you can listen to with your computer that play those remixes.

Gabumon said:
Baby Luigi said:

The Zelda fandom does it as well. There are even online radio stations you can listen to with your computer that play those remixes.

That's actually pretty cool.

But my point is that highly dedicated fan-created content is something not My Little Pony exclusive, and our examples are proof of that.

I've heard the the Legend of Zelda fanbase is probably one of the worst Nintendo fanbases.

P.S.:

Back