ScrewAttack's DeathBattle

SiFi said:
3486412-4583282321-31375.png
We need Popeye in a Death Battle now.

Knuckles opponent is none other then Donkey Kong. So we have our third in a trilogy of Sonic Universe vs. Mario universe character death battles. Both matches last time went in Sonic's favor so we'll have to see how this one goes. It won't exactly be a rubber match even if Donkey Kong wins but it will still be an interesting matchup to be sure.

Knuckles does have Master Emerald shenanigans (And I've heard if they include a certain form that was given to the Archie comic incarnation of Knuckles. Then DK is absolutely fucked. I don't know much about it, but I think it's called Chaos Knuckles. But then again it's not like they included muscle-bound "Titan Tails" though they did mention it) on his side, but I'm actually thinking Donkey Kong may have something up his sleeve (Or well, armfur I suppose) that might give him the win. Heck maybe they'll even remember how Donkey Kong punched the moon in I believe one of the Donkey Kong Country Returns games. Still speed has remained a factor in the previous Sonic Vs. Mario matchups and with Donkey Kong being even slower then the Mario Bros. are it's bound to give it some doubt. It may just come down to if Donkey Kong's brute strength can overpower Knuckles' own strength while also being able to avoid any of Knuckles' Master Emerald tricks.

Knuckles is also quite gullible, but is there something Donkey Kong can use to take advantage of said gullibility? (Though Knuckles probably won't be as dim-witted as his Sonic Boom incarnation. Otherwise it'll make DK despite living in the jungle all his life look like the difference between Tails and Luigi in IQ in DK's favor.) I actually can't be quite as confident as I was in Tails Vs. Luigi in who would win this matchup as there's just too many unknowns about Donkey Kong at the moment and even somewhat of Knuckles especially if Comic Knuckles is represented. If you had to make me choose, I think Knuckles may have the advantage due to having the speed, still having plenty of strength, and he has the Master Emerald which potentially gives him stuff that Donkey Kong just simply could not match up with that easily. But I have this weird feeling there's something I'm missing about DK that might at least help him put up a good fight. That's more then I could say for the previous 2 matchups between the two universes as I've always thought Sonic & Tails would have the advantage over the Mario Bros.

A bit about Donkey Kong:
+ He has his standard abilities, including rolling, pounding the ground, and blowing (the windy kind, at least).
+ He beat the rulers of 16 different kingdoms in Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. He also shows several other feats in that game I bet the can include, including clapping to stun enemies and tossing the final boss (Ghastly King) with relative ease despite him being much smaller.
+ He punches the moon in Donkey Kong Country Returns.
+ In DK: Jungle Climber Donkey Kong has the power to temporarily become invincible and gain the ability of flight by collecting crystals.
+ He has a multitude of Animal Buddies to aid him.
+ He defeated the Snowmads after they took over his island and has defeated the Kremling Krew at least five times.
+ They will likely include his Smash abilities, including the Konga Beat used for his Final Smash.
+ He can summon debris (seen in Donkey Kong '94, the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series, and soon Skylanders: SuperChargers.
+ In Donkey Kong '94 he can grow to a massive size.
+ He has a Coconut Shooter and Orange Grenades.
+ He can become invincible with a Donkey Barrel.
+ He can perform the Simian Slam, Super Simian Slam, and Super Duper Simian Slam.
+ His Bongo Blast can defeat all enemies on-screen in Donkey Kong 64.
+ If they include it he has his Mega Strike and Thunder Wham! from Mario Strikers Charged.
• He is at least smart enough to participate in different activities within the Mario universe, but the same does apply to Knuckles.
- Despite the last bit, he overall is shown to not be that smart in both the Mario and Donkey Kong series.
- He isn't that fast, and this is very bad when compared to someone like Knuckles.
- He was kidnapped in both Donkey Kong Country 2 and Donkey Kong Country 3. He at least knocks K. Rool out of the park the first time after being freed, but the second time he did nothing.
- He was also turned to stone by Dry Bones in Mario Party DS.

Lumastar said:
+ In DK: Jungle Climber Donkey Kong has the power to temporarily become invincible and gain the ability of flight by collecting crystals.

If this is included it will likely be used as a counter to Super/Hyper Knuckles.

At the same time though if you want to talk about feats. Knuckles in his base form knocked the Super from Super Sonic with one hit in the intro of Sonic the Hedgehog 3. Considering what Super Sonic can withstand that might be something that they really take a note of since it's basically the first thing he ever does in the Sonic series.

It's why this match could be quite interesting. They both have really strong punches when they mean it. With the Moon on Donkey Kong's side of things.

If Knuckles wins, I think it'll be because he's faster. If DK wins, I think it'll because he can withstand more punishment then Knuckles can.

Pretty sure Knuckles beating the emeralds out of Super Sonic was because Knux had the Master Emerald on his side, and destroying that should be no trouble for DK. As for their persistent "Archie is the gospel" mentality, that may be more problematic this time around because Knuckles being the last of the Echidnas in the games and completely surrounded by Echidna OCs in the comics is like the biggest difference between the two mediums.

Lastly, in regards to him becoming invincible in Jungle Climber: in King of Swing, the game's predecessor, becoming invincible was as simple as having at least twenty bananas and pressing a button. If he has 20x bananas then he can become invincible x times in a row.

Also can I get some recognition for predicting the opponent for three "we'll only reveal one combatant for now" battles in a row? I swear they're going to exhaust Sonic vs. Mario battles until they get to Wes Weasley vs. Friendly Floyd. Or Sticks vs. Oogtar.

EDIT: I just checked some character stats in the Olympic Games series and DK is consistently stronger than Knuckles in those, while the Wii version of Winter Olympics says they're equal and speed, but the DS version says Knuckles is faster and the Wii version of London Olympics says DK is faster. And those are just the games I can actually find character stats for.

Yep DK gonna win.

like others mentioned HE PUNCHED THE FUCKING MOON and made the most cheesiest rap (See: DK Rap).

Did knuckles do anything notable other than guarding a piece of ore? I don't think so.

I watched one of the deathbattles and it was Mario against Sonic and he got owned by Sonic after he turned into his super form lol.

Nintendo64Dude said:
I watched one of the deathbattles and it was Mario against Sonic and he got owned by Sonic after he turned into his super form lol.
I thought that Mario endured the Super form but later got killed after he ran out of power-ups. Also, Tails didn't use his Super form against Luigi if I recall correctly, but that was since they wanted to focus on abilities exclusive to the two sidekicks. Since Donkey Kong is so different they might give Knucks his form this time.

DK's preview is up. Apparently Yoshi's Island DS (co-starring Baby Mario) takes place after the arcade games (starring fully grown Mario). Also arcade-era DK fled to DK Island after said arcade games (whereas the game boy version says the exact opposite, with the story beginning in Big Ape City before a plane takes them somewhere else and by the end they're in the Mushroom Kingdom and Mario drags DK back to DK Island for DK Junior).

Good research guys.

But the very fact that they acknowledged his feats in Jungle Beat makes me pretty confident he's going to win. Also they kind of can't not mention the whole moon thing.

Knuckles's advantages:
•Rougher than the rest of them
•The best of them
•Tougher than leather

DK's advantages:
•Has a coconut gun
•Can fire in spurts
•If he shoots ya, it's gonna hurt

Knux's preview is up, but for some reason they're not bothering to update their website or twitter so you have to check the youtube channel. So far the only glimpse of anything Archie is when they show a single panel while discussing Pachacamac and his clan. That's promising.

The "punching his his solution to LITERALLY EVERYTHING" thing becomes even funnier when you realize how true it is. Case in point, Eggman's stealing the Master Emerald in Adventure 2 and Knuckles is like "i'm gonna punch that emerald and send pieces of it all over the planet, even though that'll have the same disastrous effects as it being stolen in the first place, but i'm sure we can go an entire game without addressing that little elephant in the room".

Speaking of which it's occurred to me that Knuckles is often shown to be a poor fighter when not under the player's control. The boss battle against him in S&K (plus its recreation in Pocket Adventure) was a massive anticlimax, he's the first and easiest opponent in Sonic the Fighters, and the fight against him in Adventure 1 is just him getting knocked around and saying "ohno". The only other battles against him that come to mind are one in Triple Trouble where he's in a submarine (but I haven't played it that far so I wouldn't know how easy or difficult it is) and one in Advance 2 where he's again piloting a machine made by Eggman, and it's a pain in the ass to fight because one attack just inexplicably kills you even if you still have rings.

But if either of those machines are appearing in this battle (which I kind of doubt), then they'd have to balance it by letting DK use the final boss from MvDK 1. I was going to link to a Youtube video of that but the "copy video url at current time" function on the current interface doesn't seem to work at all.

edit: oh I figured it out youtube didn't make it that clear but I figured it out

DK's sprite looked so bad I'm not even sure it was finished before this episode's deadline.

HE MURDERED KNUX
HE GAVE NO FUCKS
THIS KONG FEELS LIKE A MILLION BUCKS
'CAUSE HE KNOWS HIS VICTORY WASN'T JUST LUCK
NOW HE'LL CELEBRATE IN A FANCY TUX

but treating the cartoon as canon reliable info kind of made it a hollow victory to some extent. i mean kudos for making no reference to archie sonic whatsoever but you could still do with more standards in regards to what sources count and don't

Yeah, had a feelin' Knuckles was at a disadvantage here. But hey, Sonic fans can still hold the 2-1 advantage with Sonic and Tails. (If you count One Minute Melees that's 2-2 with Bowser and Eggman, but One Minute Melees don't go by research)

Wolverine's opponent is Raiden from the Metal Gears. Even if I had guessed someone last week, I don't think it would have been him, so I guess my time on the fortune telling high horse is up.

Wolverine's preview is up. I get the feeling he'll win for the same reason most comic book characters win on this show: His long history means writers are always making him capable of greater and more impressive feats to keep him interesting.

Hey it's lonely in here.

and my above post was wrong

Mr. Satan's up next, and his opponent's probably Dan Hibiki even though they already did that on One Minute Melee, but it should still be interesting to see. Unless it's actually Hercule vs. Superman, which he could actually win because unlike Goku he's not above using Kryptonite.

Speaking of One Minute Melee the latest that was Wario vs. Knuckles.

Knuckles won, but only because of the time limit. Like a heavy rock's enough to keep Wario down for long.

Wolverine vs. Raidan was awesome.

Super hyped for The Champ. I feel bad for the guy who had to fight him. I mean, he beat Cell and Buu after all.

Plus he defeated Broly in a what-if story from Supersonic Warriors 2.

wait wait oh my gosh what if they let him go into villainous mode. then if dan's his opponent they can even out the odds by having the satsui no hadou take control of him

So Hercule vs. Dan went pretty much just as I expected it to, for pretty much all the reasons they stated after the battle. But I also happened to notice that one of Hercule's capsules contained the scissor blade from Kill la Kill. Ryuko vs. Shadow confirmed?

probably not but a guy can dream

Back