Shyghoul

Peace be with you, whoever you are.
Pronouns
she/her/they
so let's use this thread to discuss this great franchise

a new trailer for the second movie was just released

FUCK YEAH

Have you read the books?

I have watched only bits of the first one but I heard it's a pretty awesome movie

Why didn't I think of this? I mean I've only watched this movie 100+ times.
I'm so excited for the new movie. I'm more hyped about it than any Zelda game. I think.
Also, I've read the first book. It's nothing at all like the movie, or shall I say the movie is nothing like the books.

Knew there was a new film, didn't know there were trailers out. So excited

Champion Christmas said:
Isn't that the trailer that DreamWorks is extremely pissed about because it has a major spoiler?
yeah

tagging it now

i can't remember if i liked the first movie but god the animation in this looks fantastic

sucks that I won't be able to go see it 'till I get back from "vacation" but w/e an extra week or two won't kill me

I love the books way more.
Read all of them.
They are totally different, in a way that makes them better.
Anyways, this looks pretty good. I saw that trailer in theater while I was watching Godzilla.

do you even understand how excited i am for the animation though like the animation is SO amazing

No-Face said:
do you even understand how excited i am for the animation though like the animation is SO amazing
I know right? Like Dreamworks last movie, The Croods, that animation was just so beautiful, so I am fully expecting for HTTYD2's to be just as good if not more.

How To Train Your Dragon was the one film I regret not watching in 3D (I didn;t even see it in theaters); I really hope the sequel's gonna have some more spectacular and/or rollercoaster-like flying sequences so that I can try to make up for it.

saw the second movie today, here's what the pros and cons of it were (imo)

pros
-Eret was a really awesome and smokin hot guy, (I love characters that reform)
-Drago was a complete badass
-Hiccup's mom was cool and likeable, however I really don't get why the fuck she couldn't have checked up on Berk every once in awhile after she left the place
-Blue striped badass powered up Toothless
-Hiccups's fire sword
-all the other characters were fine as well
-plot was really damned good and gave me quite a few chills
-music was better than the first movie
-the humor was nice, I really liked how there wasn't any crude potty humor
-epic action scenes, especially considering the fact that it was animated movie
-the animation itself was beautiful

cons
-I kind of wish there had been a little less action but it really wasn't that big of a problem
-the Ruffnut love thing was used as a gag more times than it probably should have been but it did still retain it's funniess throughout the movie
-Stoik died
-3D effects weren't that spectacular except for like 2 or 3 parts

overall i'd say it's on level (or maybe a little below, i'd have watch it again to decide) with the first movie

No-Face said:
astrid should be chief tbh
I thought that was what was gonna happen, actually - maybe that'll be part of the third film.

Anyway, I thought it was really good. Toothless's Godzilla beam powers were a bit of a Deus Ex Machina even if the mom did drop that (obvious) "all dragons have their secrets" foreshadowing earlier. But that's my only real complaint - that and how the mom kept needing to be saved by Stoic, I suppose. Overall, I liked her - like how she was a bit rusty with talking and interacting with people in general at first, and how the rekindling of their love took a bit of time to find its step. Eret was well done as well: it wasn't obvious that he was slated to become a good guy from the start (he could've easily remained the more comic side villain) - and the turning point was an almost blink-and-you-miss it shot of him processing that the dragon just selflessly came and saved him.

Another thing I really liked is how Hiccup and Astrid's relationship wasn't the focus of the story at all: their opening scene together was wonderfully authentic-feeling and was enough to establish they're a couple and let the movie then go and deal with other things. Nothing about it was in your face at all, but rather, just understated and natural, like how when they got back to Berk, Astrid already felt like one of the family the way she participated in Hiccup and Stoic's conversation (not to mention the far-less-subtle "future daughter-in-law" line of Stoic's, which I thought was a nice touch - and one of the reasons why I thought she'd end up as chief).

In films, I don't usually notice musical cues and leitmotifs and whatnot for one reason or another, but I did here to great effect. The flying sequences were a blast as always, but the thing that I loved the most was the background action - from dragons snuffling around behind people as they have conversations to the massive alpha in the distance during the Drago vs. Hiccup part (on that note: the long shots of the alphas really made you feel their sheer size much more than the screen-filling face shots, I thought).

I was getting worried they'd pull a Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and end the story on a downer cliffhanger after Stoic's Viking funeral, but I should've had faith that they'd know better and give the film a proper conclusion. Overall, it was a great film - not quite as good as the first, but that was a damn hard act to follow, and this sequel does a mighty fine job of it.

Back