DS/DSi Voltage

Hobbes

Tucayo
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
MarioWiki
Henry Tucayo Clay
Can I just plug an American DS/DSi into a European plug? As far as I know, only high power devices like irons and hair dryers need transformers, but I am under the impression the charger for a device has to say 120-240V for it not to explode when getting a higher voltage, and both the DS and the DSi's just say 120V.

So yeah, do I just need the adapter or do I need a step down transformer as well? Or maybe I can just buy a new charger in Europe?

I believe it is noted on the plug what voltage and frequenzy it needs/can handle. I could imagine 240 things working on 120, but vice-versa I'm not sure. I don't usually look into this kind of stuff.

I also believe that chargers are not such big problems with international power suplies.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/general/rechargeable_international.jsp

I've also been to France before and I had no problems getting my old Nintendo DS Phat charged...it's the shape of the plug that's different that caused the problem.

I've definitely used American chargers in the UAE with a little converter thingy. However I don't recall using a step down/step up transformer.

On the flip side, the Espresso machine that my parents purchased in the UAE is permanently hooked up to a transformer while being used in America.

LakantatheQlaus said:
I believe it is noted on the plug what voltage and frequenzy it needs/can handle. I could imagine 240 things working on 120, but vice-versa I'm not sure. I don't usually look into this kind of stuff.

I also believe that chargers are not such big problems with international power suplies.
Yeah, the plug states it only supports 120V. I know it won't explode since it's a low power device, so now that I think of it there's no harm in trying.

Baby Luigi said:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/general/rechargeable_international.jsp

I've also been to France before and I had no problems getting my old Nintendo DS Phat charged...it's the shape of the plug that's different that caused the problem.
Alright, thanks. I already have a bunch of adapters, so plug shape shouldn't be a problem for me.

NotABannableOffense said:
I've definitely used American chargers in the UAE with a little converter thingy. However I don't recall using a step down/step up transformer.

On the flip side, the Espresso machine that my parents purchased in the UAE is permanently hooked up to a transformer while being used in America.
Oh, nice. Yeah, the Espresso machine is probably the same as with the irons and all that, that stuff explodes.

Thanks, guys!

Back