IVs and EVs

Weasel

Donkey Kong
Retired Forum Mod
Can someone explain this to me in everyday English, please? I get that IVs are like, Pokemon genetics or something but is there a way you can tell what a mon's values are without having to go to an online calculator? I know that the highest is 31 but how do you get that? Breeding and the patience of a saint?

And you can just do the EV stuff in Super Training, right? And if I use a reset bag on a lv. 100 mon, can I retrain it in a way that brings out its best?

I've looked on Bulbapedia, Serebii, Smogon, etc. about the subject and I just sit there feeling like a twit.

In a nutshell, it's the amount stats grow. Different pokemon provide different stats ex. Munna for HP, Litwick for Sp. Attack. There are items for it too, like the Power Band for Sp. Def. Pokerus helps too.

I only know about EVs. When it comes to IVs, I'm a fool.

EVs is the shorthand term for Eevees, basically. :dk:

EVs are basically points gotten from the effort a Pokémon makes, which are distributed to a particular stat. A Pokémon can only have 252 EVs in a single stat, and 510 total.

EVs can be gotten from battling, vitamins and Super Training. I'm pretty sure each four EVs in a stat will guarantee that stat increases by an extra one stat point by the time the Pokémon is Level 100. In battling's case, each Pokémon you defeat gives a certain amount of EVs (1-3 usually) that go to a particular stat. If multiple Pokémon contribute to defeating a Pokémon, they get the amount of EVs a single Pokémon would, so it doesn't get divided like EXP. Vitamins increase a Pokémon's EVs in a particular stat by 10 if the Pokémon hasn't got 100+ EVs in that stat already. Super Training should be self-explanatory, the points you get in it are essentially visible effort values.

Additionally, Pokérus doubles the amount of EVs gotten from battling, and various items increase the amount of EVs gotten through battling for certain stats, most notably the power items such as the Power Lens.

Hopefully that makes sense and that I'm correct.

You can find out a Pokemon's IVs by talking to The Judge in the Kiloude City Pokecenter.

He'll tell you the overall potential of a pokemon by making comments like "This Pokémon's potential is decent all around", "Outstanding is the best comment you can get.

Then he'll tell you which stat(s) is/are the pokemon's best, with "Can't be beat!" meaning that the stat is at 31.

Are you ready to learn?

Cause I am about to lay it on you. By it I mean info.

Firstly IVs are pretty much pokemon genetics.

When you catch a pokemon its IVs are randomly generated and each stat is given a number between 1 and 31 with 31 being the best.

When breeding pokemon, under normal circumstances, the child will inherit 3 stats at random from it's parents. 3 will be generated randomly. However, there are some items that help with IV breeding. The first are the power items which are dual purpose and are also used for EV training. Let's have a senario:

You have a ditto with perfect HP and Def. You are breeding it with a torchic with no perfect stats.

If you give the ditto the Power Weight and breed, every offspring will have perfect HP and have a chance to have perfect def.

When you IV breed you continually switch out lesser pokemon for better ones. I.e. taking out the torchic with no perfect IVs and putting in one with two.

When you achieve a torchic with three perfect IVs, it is time to unleash the second of the useful breeding items, the destiny knot. This item allows 5IVs to be passed down from the parents. This means that it is now feasible to get pokemon with 5 perfect IVs without RNG Abuse(something that is beyond even me.)

When you breed, just keep on switching until you get a 3, put on the destiny knot and keep going until 5.

EVs are points that are obtained whenever a pokemon gains exp.

All pokemon will give 1 or 2 EVs. However, using the aforementioned power items you can get a huge boost while training. Another useful tool to get is pokerus which I won't get into because Bulbapedia explains it well.

Before Gen VI and after gen 2, pokemon could have up to 255 evs in a stat and 510 total. In gen VI this was changed to 252 max in a stat.

If you have any questions PM me.

Sources:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/IVs
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EVs
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EV-enhancing_item
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67535721
Personal Experience

Back