Collab:adding music track names

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
This is not an important project or anything, but I've recently added a parameter for music track/names on the level and minigame templates, and I've started to add track names to the Donkey Kong Country level pages.

As long as the music has a specific name (even if it's something extremely generic, like "Song 19), it can be added. To add it, simply type

at the end of the respective infobox.

If you want to "call dibs" on a set of articles, post here and I'll add your name to the OP.

GBAToad has called dibs on Mario Party DS, Mario Party 8 and Mario Party 9 .

Where can the track names be found? Such as, what would be a source for "generic names" and the best place to find properly named ones?

Most of the Mario Party games have unique names for their tracks; I think I'll be able to do the Mario Party DS, Mario Party 8 and Mario Party 9 minigames on the weekend since those games are easily accessible (plus Fresh as Mint lol).

edit: the parameter for the minigame infobox is screwy. I thought it was because Glowsquid copy-pasted the Notes parameter and didn't change the title, but fixing that doesn't seem to work. :|
edit2: nvm I missed something else, it should work now.

Daskarzine said:
Where can the track names be found? Such as, what would be a source for "generic names" and the best place to find properly named ones?

Maybe could use filenames if there isn't an official soundtrack

Like New Super Mario Bros. Wii's tower theme could be named toride_lr.n.32 though I find New Super Mario Bros. Wii's file naming pretty unwieldly compared to Mario Super Slugger's bgm_koopa.

I'm not hot on using filenames, tbh. I feel that if there are no actual names (even very generic ones), it's best to simply not put anything.

I thought it was because Glowsquid copy-pasted the Notes paramete

oops

Daskarzine said:

Ingame sound tests, soundtrack releases (either digital or physical).

Well it took ages to get around to it, but that's Mario Party DS and Mario Party 9 done. Don't Look and Goomba Bowling don't seem to have a music track listed in the game's sound test and Bombard King Bob-omb's tracks do have regional differences ("King" is "Big" in PAL and vice-versa), but including them looked sloppy no matter how I formatted it. Mario Party 8 will come later.

If I had the time to destroy, I'll probably help

Zero said:
Mario Party 8 will come later.
lel

Done, bar the Extra Minigames.

I've done Partay 4 and 5

Great work Baby Luigi! Wish I could do more minigames but I don't own MP1-7 D:

Can we verify the track names in the DKC article? Some of them are different from what GS added to the levels, so perhaps it's a regional difference. I'd be happy to go ahead and copy the DKC2 and DKC3 tracks from the main articles into their respective levels, but I'd only be relying on those lists since I don't own the games (and can't be stuffed to watch entire playthroughs of them).

Also it's not important, but should we alter {{galaxybox}} as well? A few galaxies share music iirc.

Zero said:
Can we verify the track names in the DKC article? Some of them are different from what GS added to the levels, so perhaps it's a regional difference. I'd be happy to go ahead and copy the DKC2 and DKC3 tracks from the main articles into their respective levels, but I'd only be relying on those lists since I don't own the games (and can't be stuffed to watch entire playthroughs of them).
scratch that, just checked again and it's only one song.

I'll do the DKC2 and DKC3 tracks later if there's no objections.

Baby Luigi said:
Zero said:
Wish I could do more minigames but I don't own MP1-7 D:

Here's an FAQ that lists song names in Mario Party 2

I barely played the first three, but I played the hell out of the GCN Mario Parties so I can help there.
Interesting, thanks! I'll do MP2 a bit later, hopefully it's reliable...

Zero said:
Can we verify the track names in the DKC article? Some of them are different from what GS added to the levels, so perhaps it's a regional difference.

The names are from the DK Jamz CD. I know the GBA port mixes up the name of the map theme (Simian Segue) and Jungle level theme (Jungle Groove), but I'm not aware of any other differences Didn't see you corrected yourself, sorry.

Also it's not important, but should we alter {{galaxybox}} as well? A few galaxies share music iirc.

Yes, every applicable template should have the parameter added.

Glowsquid said:
Zero said:
Can we verify the track names in the DKC article? Some of them are different from what GS added to the levels, so perhaps it's a regional difference.

The names are from the DK Jamz CD. I know the GBA port mixes up the name of the map theme (Simian Segue) and Jungle level theme (Jungle Groove), but I'm not aware of any other differences.
OK then. The only discrepancy is in the main article, which lists DK Island Swing instead of Jungle Groove in all instances.

Oh, right, it's totally my fault. After doing some more research, "DK Island Swing" is the actual ingame name while "Jungle Groove" is an arrange version on the soundtrack CD.

Zero said:
Interesting, thanks! I'll do MP2 a bit later, hopefully it's reliable...

Well, the names for the music sound Mario Party-ish and I've recognized that the list correctly identifies the minigames that share songs

Thoughts?

Took a bit to source all of the music, and this is one galaxy. The only other infoboxes that need the parameter are some DK levelboxes.

Glowsquid said:
Oh, right, it's totally my fault. After doing some more research, "DK Island Swing" is the actual ingame name while "Jungle Groove" is an arrange version on the soundtrack CD.
completely unacceptable

Well, at least it's fixed. Honestly the mistake was so small it took months for someone to pick up on it. Simply shows how minor this project really is. :P

Back