Steven Universe

so since I had to watch the new episode on a restaurant tv with no sound, I actually tried to lipread it

10/10 would recommend

Now I understand why Rebecca sugar worked on that episode.

Consent has been big on the series, but this episode highlighted abusive relationships. Lapis wants malachite to take all the pent-up rage from being trapped for 5700+ years, and Jasper wants it for the power she felt with the fusion in super watermelon island. Lapis has been so unhappy, and its because she's blaming herself for everything. She broke greg's leg, she took the ocean away. She felt like she didn't deserve the boat ride with Steven. Jasper even calls her a monster to her face.

It's obvious that lapis is not Saint, and is far from the victim, but she took the step forward, not giving in to the power from their abusive relationship, knowing it was bad and unhealthy. And of course proceeded to falcon punch Jasper, only when Jasper tried to kill Steven.

Jasper though is power-hungry. She wants malachite because of when she took control of malachite. That's when she truly felt the power in that battle. The fusion is definitely toxic (especially in water #badpun), and it's great to see that they're addressing the effects of it. I know that it's very easy for you to blame yourself for everything, and the struggle of not wanting to return back to that relationship.

In short, I love lapis.

that episode was heavy

greg on a boat is the best thing ever though

Ok, so I know Alone at Sea is the current new rage, but I'm going to spend some more lines fangirling about Monster Reunion.

I really, really, reeeeeally love how absolutely on point and... WHOLE the episode was. Recently, there's been a trend of splitting up characters and completely dropping everyone who's not the focus of the current episode. That isn't necessarily bad as it allows more in-depth exploration of the characters who haven't been booted off-stage. But the way it's been done, it began to feel as if characters exist in their own isolated spheres, and everyone who is not in that sphere might as well have stopped existing.

This episode did not do that. The focus was clearly on Steven and Centipeedle, yet not only were all three of the Crystal Gems present, all of them also had (non-throwaway) lines and good character moments. From Pearl not wanting Steven to touch a broken plate, to Garnet's battle of will and later her showing her motherly side by offering to shield Steven's eyes from Centipeedle's imminent poofing, to Amethyst excitedly exclaiming: "Aww yeah! Corrupted roommate!" (that one actually made me laugh out loud), everyone got something to do.

And on top of all of that, the central story itself was well-written AND executed, and we also got more information about the Gem wars.

Like, I came out of the episode thinking "That was pretty good", but then I rewatched it some time later and it might actually be brilliant! On par with other really good Steven Universe episodes and one that I will probably be rewatching later down the road.

"Meh."

I was a bit worried because I didn't know what to make of the episode title. Turns out I was wrong though.

I like being wrong when it results in getting a fun episode.

what a nice episode
sour cream's face was on point the whole ep

i need more greg/rose shenanigans, they are adorable together

connie had the best lines this episode
"when civilisation collapses and this world ends, i need to be prepared to build the new one"
"forget gems, humans are already starting their own demise! peak oil, steven! how do we handle terminal decline without alternate energy sources!"
"my parents see all of my photos ma'am"

shoutout to pearl as well:
"is this about the favourite gem thing? don't tell garnet"

i'm not sure how i feel about [suddenly jasper] but damn that was a spoopy ending

K said:
i'm not sure how i feel about [suddenly jasper] but damn that was a spoopy ending

I liked that. It was a nice subversion of expectations. Like, the episode sets up the idea of some gem shapeshifting back and forth between monster and humanoid forms, but then, nope, it's something else.

Dr. Alphys said:
I like that they gave Connie a badass upgrade. She's been a good character, but now she'll also be able to contribute to major battles. It also means that Stevonnie might have some serious combat viability now, as a possible amalgam of Connie's swordplay and Steven's array of defensive abilities, so we might see them return at some point.

It happened.

Battle Stevonnie finally happened.

And it was glorious.

oh my god
oh my god

How can they can keep getting away with starting a lighthearted and adorable episode and transitioning into that. this effing show

That Jasper/Stevonnie battle was everything I wanted it to be and more, but preceding it with Amethyst getting poofed by Jasper and those lines

"Rose said I was perfect just the way I am"
"Well she had very low standards"

and ending it with "I guess you guys really didn't need me at all"

just...damn. Amethyst must seriously have a lot more self-evaluation to do in the next few episodes, which is fantastic because iirc this is the first episode we've looked at her insecurities since 'Reformed' and even that wasn't as confronting as Jasper literally telling Amethyst how worthless she is.

Also this episode did wonders for establishing Jasper as a recurring villain in the same way those appearances of Peridot before she was eventually captured did for her. I think we might see a Jasper redemption later down the track but I'm totes fine with having Jasper as the evil party right now. "Jaspers always get what they want"

"I guess she just lives in the ocean now"
best line

Tomorrow's ep is called "Steven vs. Amethyst"

looks like we're certainly not done yet. hype

I'm starting to wonder if they're really gonna redeem Jasper. She just seems so unapologeticly hateful and destructive, it makes you question whether she's ever gonna come around.

Plus, with the other two redeemed gems, Steven usually kept at least some degree of a positive outlook even when they were antagonists; he always believed in Lapis, and he kept doing things like wishing Peridot a nice day and teasing her. But towards Jasper, his attitude is unusually cold. He calls her terrible, and the majority of his exchanges with her are along the lines of "Go away!" and "Leave us alone!"

I'm totally wrong of course, but still. Food for thought.

Dr. Alphys said:
I'm starting to wonder if they're really gonna redeem Jasper. She just seems so unapologeticly hateful and destructive, it makes you question whether she's ever gonna come around.

Plus, with the other two redeemed gems, Steven usually kept at least some degree of a positive outlook even when they were antagonists; he always believed in Lapis, and he kept doing things like wishing Peridot a nice day and teasing her. But towards Jasper, his attitude is unusually cold. He calls her terrible, and the majority of his exchanges with her are along the lines of "Go away!" and "Leave us alone!"

I'm totally wrong of course, but still. Food for thought.
You make a compelling point with that Steven argument, but with Steven's development being so heavily driven by his ability to believe in others, I think he will almost certainly come around eventually, however difficult it may be (and what lesson will follow from that is undetermined). Jasper's redemption will take a /long/ time, but right now, she's only attacking the gems because she craves that mineral, I mean that fusion.

I'm bored so I typed this re: Jasper's redemption and what it might involve

Basically two things would have to happen if Jasper were to join the CGs:
- Steven would have to believe in Jasper like he did with Lapis and Peridot
- For Jasper to come around, she would have to swallow her pride and submit to "Rose"

For the first thing, I think Peridot's redemption had a lot to do with Steven pitying her and that's why he released her from the bubble and convinced the other CGs to let her stay. You're right, something major would have to happen for Steven to feel sorry for Jasper and change his feelings. For the second thing, at this point it would take a massive hit to Jasper's current power-fetish before she'll even do that, or even some kind of admiration/fear of something stronger than her that makes her realise she might not be that strong. She's creeping dangerously into that annoying character type that cares about nothing but power and power itself, so if she keeps going and the show follows that cliche, then yeah that'll almost certainly be her downfall, and a redemption could follow.

Maybe being bubbled (already happened with Peridot tho), corrupted (they've really been pushing this idea for the last few eps) or receiving /some/ kind of plot device which reduces her power will do that? Alternatively, there's also that dangling plotline of the Rubies still looking for Jasper. Peridot only came around once she'd lost all faith in Homeworld so maybe it will take a similar, forced turn with Jasper confronting the Rubies for her to submit to her arch-enemy because she doesn't want to be held accountable with HW. Or she could just surrender and go home with the Rubies, but her ego certainly wouldn't allow her to unless she has that soldier mentality and accepts that she failed and has to be held accountable despite whatever consequences. Maybe this could also be where Steven pities her?

The groundwork for a redemption is there as well with fusion. It will almost certainly play a big part in Jasper coming around because she's lost to a fusion not once but twice now, can't understand why, and is still obsessed with getting Lapis to fuse with her. Also at the moment its the only thing that really can beat her (well aside from Lapis punching her into the ocean lololol).

If the idea that pure fear/admiration of a higher power is the thing that will change Jasper's currently power-crazed mind, then combining those last two points, maybe she'll believe she has to face Homeworld eventually and the only way for her to be strong enough to survive is to fuse with the Crystal Gems, and this is where ~redemption~ happens and she learns that fusion ~is not just about power~ and ~love~. idk, at this point that's the only logical way Jasper could become part of the team imo

Basically she has to realise that she's not strong and needs to be allied with the Crystal gems to be stronger, which is why any kind of redemption for her will be a really slow boil. Besides, the only other end-point for her is to be shattered or something, and I don't think they'd want to waste a character that's been around for 3 seasons now unless they wanted to establish a bigger evil or do something else stupid.

I honestly think amethyst's self-doubt arc was resolved too soon. It sounded like Jasper's words had a big impact on her, so for her to forget about it so quickly feels...forced. Alright episode, otherwise.

this episode gets 2/3 pearl points

I don't think the arc is over just yet, I think Amethyst still has to confront Jasper again soon. The fight was cool but completely overshadowed by yesterday's.
Steven turning his bubble into a spike ball was a neat touch. I wonder if Amethyst/Steven have a spiked mace as their fusion (sugilite technically has one but ehhhhhhh)

also has that diamond insignia always been at the ruins because its the first time i've seen it
and
"YOU'VE RUINED THE RUINS"

next episode is bismuth and its a long one. i can't believe we're at episode 100 now

I just want to give my thoughts on Jasper for a minute. Steven's interactions with her have literally boiled down to:

- Her telling Peridot to destroy his moms.
- Garnet, the person he has never seen get beaten, get poofed in front of him by her.
- Her knocking out him and giving him a black eye.
- Her Fusing with Lapis in hopes to completely destroy all of them until Lapis took control.
- Her reaching out towards him menacingly while talking to Lapis while he was dreaming.

And then in Alone at Sea, she appeared while Steven is trying to cheer up Lapis and after Lapis said she wanted to be Malachite again. When Jasper was after Lapis, Steven went to defend Lapis, and all his yelling was to make sure Lapis didn't fuse with Jasper again because Malachite was not a healthy relationship. And then she was going to shatter him, with Lapis saving him again. Gem Hunt Steven went to defend Connie, but was on the defensive because he didn't want Jasper attacking them. In Crack the Whip, Stevonnie was asking Jasper to apologize to Amethyst. They says to me that Steven does see hope in change for Jasper if he's more wanting her to apologize and be friendly than just attacking without pause.

Jasper and Steven have had interesting interactions as compared to other gems. With Lapis, Steven became beach summer fun buddies with Lapis, then freed her to her thanking him and not being threatening. Peridot was willing to talk to Steven for a minute before she was about to crush him. While not really pleasant, it was not as bad as Jasper's first impression. Like Peridot didn't really know what a Steven was, and Lapis' friendship came through subliminal. Jasper just straight up attacked all of them and took them as captive.

Jasper is a strategist. She plans out her attacks rather than just going willy-nilly. She didn't attack Garnet until Garnet attacked her, taking her out first, since she was the strongest opponent. As malachite, she learned quick with Alexandrite's attacks, and would have won without Watermelon Stevens interfering. She knows that she's alone on Earth right now, but ran straight to Lapis because she knew she was the most powerful with her. When Lapis refused, she decided to go back to original plan of attacking Rose. However, she needed back-up since she knew that she was no match against the entire crystal gems, which is why she's hunting gem monsters. As soon as they are poofed, she retreats to recover and find a new plan of attack. She's really strong, but she's also very smart.

I am definitely excited for her redemption arc, because I have a feeling we'll get it. I remember hearing that the crewniverse saying she was going to be quite an interesting character that will have a lot to her, so I'm sure that we'll learn many things about her. I'm not sure how what will cause her to want to work with the crystal gems, but I'm sure it'll make sense.

tumblr_obb2zr38T21vnos4lo2_400.gif

The moment my heart broke.

"Rose said I'm perfect just the way I am." - Damn those feels.

I mean, I love Stevonnie with Rose's Shield and Rose's Sword riding on Lion and it's all my dreams come true, but Amethyst getting fucked up both mentally and physically really hit me hard. Poor Amethyst.

I wish I had fights like those two do. It was a cute episode.

Amethyst definitely needed this episode. But with Bismuth coming back and the "Beta" probably meaning Beta Kindergarten, I feel like Amethyst's arc is far from over. It's much needed since we've had little with Amethyst's character development other than moment's like On the run, Maximum capacity, and Reform.

So I watched Bismuth since it leaked (I wasn't going to be around for 7pm to watch it, don't judge).

I legit cried and my god that episode. I'm still recovering.

So going to start out with the fact that the theory that Bismuth is an extremist basically became true. I'll just give thoughts as the episode went.

Pearl and Garnet's reactions to seeing Bismuth again gave me life. I love how they interacted with Bismuth and how Bismuth made wholehearted comments to them that really fired them up. "Who do you belong to?" "No one!" "Oh, forgive me, you're TWO to talk. Hey chill out, your ruby is showing." Like obviously super close and personal friends. I knew as soon as Rose's name was mentioned and Bismuth's reaction that something happened that made her get bubbled.

So confirmed that Bismuths were the gems that built all the gem structures. Bismuth met rose and Rose made her believe that she could be anything she wanted to be. So Bismuth built all the weapons for the crystal gems (which is probably why in "Rose's Scabbard" they were collecting all those weapons). Rose's sword was Bismuth's best work. From Bismuth's talk though, it sounded like Rose was made on Earth. That throws so many things out of whack, especially the "Rose is actually Pink Diamond". So Pearl really wasn't Rose's then, was she? Was Pearl Pink Diamond's, and before/after PD's fall Pearl worked with Rose? Was Pink Diamond Usurped?

And we get to why Bismuth was bubbled. An extreme weapon that would instantly take care of a gem, shattering it completely, not even leaving a trace behind. It would have stopped all homeworld gems and even take out the diamonds. However, this is bad because this completely against what the Crystal gems wanted. I mean, the crystal gems literally are homeworld gems that chose to defend the earth? We've seen from Peridot and Lapis that just because you're homeworld and you don't like the crystal gem that things can't change. No War is a good war, but Rose saw the good in everyone, and making a genocide of their own kind was not what they were about. Bismuth refused to believe this, felt betrayed by Rose, and why Rose bubbled her.

That battle with Steven and Bismuth was so good, especially with that music in the background. Everything was so emotional. It was so intense seeing Bismuth almost shatter Steven when Steven wouldn't shatter her. Then Steven stabbing Bismuth...wow. This got to where everything got super emotional.

"I wish you would have shattered me. Then I wouldn't have to know how little I mattered to you. You didn't even tell them."

"I'll tell them. I'll tell them everything."

"Then you are better than her."

So many conflicted feelings. I see Bismuth's point in all of this, and I see Rose's point in everything. I can see why Rose didn't tell the others right away about Bismuth, because they didn't need the conflict within their own troops while they were fighting off homeworld. "Rose kept many things a secret from us" (Garnet, Rose's Scabbard). I think she didn't tell them after the war because she didn't want to hurt their feelings, especially since they were fighting corrupted monsters that used to be their friends. But that might have been the best decision. It's why I think Steven was so important in all of this. He's not Rose, and he can do things that she could not have done.

That episode though was just so dark and such a roller coaster. Everything starts out happy and cheerful, but then gets super dark, talking about genocide and straight up killing everyone. I'm sure that this is the bismuth that attacked Lapis, since it went straight for the gem. Bismuth didn't care for homeworld or keeping them alive. She knew that letting them live meant more numbers on the homeworld side.

I like SU having this 22-minute episode. It felt nice not feeling everything go by so quickly. Things really fleshed out.

K said:
Steven turning his bubble into a spike ball was a neat touch. I wonder if Amethyst/Steven have a spiked mace as their fusion (sugilite technically has one but ehhhhhhh)

Well, the bubble isn't really Steven's weapon, the shield is.

So I pondered for a while what sort of weapon a shield and a whip would make together. Steven and Amethyst are both characters with somewhat of a childish streak, so... what if it's a Yoyo? That could be fun.

I watched the leaked episode
just......fuck, i need a while to process my thoughts.

for those of you still waiting, its not even a two-parter, this is just a glimpse into what steven universe could do with 22 minute episodes and it is incredible, the best episode of steven universe to date.

The moral ambiguity is strong in this one. I like it.

So far, whenever the subject of Rose has been brought up, she was always presented as this strong, inspiring, perfect leader who always held all the cards and was a positive influence on everyone she interacted with. This episode took that image and worked it to the breaking point. The pedestral of perfection she's been standing on has cracked, revealing a flawed character (flawed in the good way), with values and ideals, and personal struggles that come with them.

During the war, Rose had to make a choice between sacrificing her ideals for total victory, or saddling herself and her companions with the burden of upholding them against an opponent who would not. The choice she made was neither objectively good nor objectively bad. She stayed true to her beliefs, and had to suffer the consequences.

Bismuth's point of view is understandable as well. Rose's decision may have prevented her allies from becoming murderers, but at the cost of suffering heavy casualties on the rebellion's side, and ultimately the lives that were saved later became corrupted anyway, begetting the question of whether all of this could have been averted had Rose chosen to be more ruthless.

In conclusion, war does terrible things to people, sometimes you have to make tough decisions in life, and no solution will ever save everyone.

All of that pretty much means I liked the episode.

Only shame is that we didn't get to see Lapis interact with Bismuth, considering their apparent history, though to be honest I don't know how they would have even worked that into the episode. So I can't complain too much.

K said:
its not even a two-parter, this is just a glimpse into what steven universe could do with 22 minute episodes and it is incredible, the best episode of steven universe to date.

Makes you wish they'd just switch to a 22 minute format in general. Though then the hiatuses would probably get even longer.

Dr. Alphys said:
K said:

Well, the bubble isn't really Steven's weapon, the shield is.

So I pondered for a while what sort of weapon a shield and a whip would make together. Steven and Amethyst are both characters with somewhat of a childish streak, so... what if it's a Yoyo? That could be fun.

Not just any yo-yo though...

A spiked yo-yo. Spikes make everything cooler...probably...

So, they're just going to leave her bubbled?

Uh...hrm...well ok I guess?

Also a bit disappointed that the Breaking Point was destroyed. I was hoping that there'd be a point in the show, likely towards the end, where Steven realizes that he can't save or convince every gem (likely a diamond) to join his side and he shatters them in a desperate attempt to save the other gems or something. I mean it's a bit dark in context so that's probably why they ultimately destroyed the MacGuffin though.

Good episode overall though.

Back