what does that foreshadow...

Nabber said:
wait, i don't get it

when referring to their diamond, characters use the term 'my diamond'
jasper calls yellow diamond by her name directly
so she's not her diamond

K said:
i don't think it's true that rose quartz shattered pink diamond (literally bismuth set that part of rose's character up) but /something/ happened to her

I don't know. The reactions from Garnet, Pearl, and Amethyst seem to suggest that there's SOMETHING to that claim.

I mean, we saw how the Rose Bismuth confrontation messed Bismuth up. It's possible the reverse is also true to some extent. In that light, wouldn't it be possible that, while tension from the war was at its peak, Rose found herself in some extreme situation, was forced to act against her principles and shatter Pink Diamond? Maybe that's the event that ended the war. Homeworld could have decided losing more diamonds in the war wasn't worth it, so they switched to the cluster plan.

Unless there is something somewhere that pinpoints the time of Pink Diamond's death somewhere else. Which is entirely possible, too many details to keep track of.

K said:
Nabber said:
wait, i don't get it

so she's not her diamond
eh, that doesn't really feel like foreshadowing as much as just keeping details consistent

anyway, i found back to the moon pretty disappointing as an episode, not much to it besides that one big revelation

Nabber said:
eh, that doesn't really feel like foreshadowing as much as just keeping details consistent

Adhering to details that have not yet been revealed, especially when said adherence seemingly breaks established conventions... is foreshadowing.

K said:
so she's not her diamond

but i'm pretty sure peridot calls yellow diamond by name at some points

yeah i'm convinced its inconsistent now but oh well it was fun to believe in while it lasted

Dr. Alphys said:
I don't know. The reactions from Garnet, Pearl, and Amethyst seem to suggest that there's SOMETHING to that claim.

I mean, we saw how the Rose Bismuth confrontation messed Bismuth up. It's possible the reverse is also true to some extent. In that light, wouldn't it be possible that, while tension from the war was at its peak, Rose found herself in some extreme situation, was forced to act against her principles and shatter Pink Diamond? Maybe that's the event that ended the war. Homeworld could have decided losing more diamonds in the war wasn't worth it, so they switched to the cluster plan.

Unless there is something somewhere that pinpoints the time of Pink Diamond's death somewhere else. Which is entirely possible, too many details to keep track of.
there's a mural in one of the temples suggesting that rose used pink diamond's gem for some kind of attack against white diamond, so it must have happened before the war was over i think

personally i think that rose quartz started the rebellion against pink diamond on earth, and once she defeated pink diamond, the whole war with homeworld and the rest of the diamonds took place
in retaliation. after the CGs weakened their forces substantially, the diamonds likely launched their corruption song or whatever, and that was after bismuth was bubbled

especially considering garnet and pearl had no idea about bismuth and the breaking point, so it's likely they wouldn't have seen rose use the breaking point on pink diamond if she did (which imo would've been the only way rose quartz could've shattered her that we know of at this point). whether bismuth was bubbled to see pink diamond being shattered or not is unknown, but surely bismuth would've brought it up in their confrontation if rose quartz was behind it, so i think it goes

rebellion starts
bismuth bubbled / jasper born (she was still under PDs rule when the diamonds were fighting the crystal gems)
pink diamond dies
corruption nuke
amethyst born (ITS MAH HOLE)

its just strange for the show to make such a big deal about rose and steven being against shattering, i can't help but think this is a case of misdirection. maybe rose quartz was confronting PD and some external force shattered her and so people just assumed it was rose?

this lore man

K said:
yeah i'm convinced its inconsistent now but oh well it was fun to believe in while it lasted

Dr. Alphys said:

there's a mural in one of the temples suggesting that rose used pink diamond's gem for some kind of attack against white diamond, so it must have happened before the war was over i think

personally i think that rose quartz started the rebellion against pink diamond on earth, and once she defeated pink diamond, the whole war with homeworld and the rest of the diamonds took place
in retaliation. after the CGs weakened their forces substantially, the diamonds likely launched their corruption song or whatever, and that was after bismuth was bubbled

especially considering garnet and pearl had no idea about bismuth and the breaking point, so it's likely they wouldn't have seen rose use the breaking point on pink diamond if she did (which imo would've been the only way rose quartz could've shattered her that we know of at this point). whether bismuth was bubbled to see pink diamond being shattered or not is unknown, but surely bismuth would've brought it up in their confrontation if rose quartz was behind it, so i think it goes

rebellion starts
bismuth bubbled / jasper born (she was still under PDs rule when the diamonds were fighting the crystal gems)
pink diamond dies
corruption nuke
amethyst born (ITS MAH HOLE)

its just strange for the show to make such a big deal about rose and steven being against shattering, i can't help but think this is a case of misdirection. maybe rose quartz was confronting PD and some external force shattered her and so people just assumed it was rose?

this lore man

Mhh, no, it's never been said the Breaking Point is the only way to shatter a gem. What I got out of it is that the Breaking Point is a way to shatter gems efficiently. As in: One direct hit, and it's over. It'd be the equivalent of outfitting your forces with modern guns in medieval times, THAT's what makes the Breaking Point so terrifying: The sheer game-breaking power of an easy to use one-hit-kill weapon.

I'm fairly sure it is entirely possible to shatter gems without the Breaking Point, it just takes more effort and usually requires you to destroy the gem's physical form beforehand. Judging from her dialogue, that's what Jasper was about to do with Amethyst before Stevonnie intervened. Even earlier, Amethyst's gem gets damaged by a bad collision with a rock. Lapis' get's damaged by someone stepping on it.

So really, I don't think Rose would have needed the Breaking Point to shatter PD.

Keeping bubbled gems out in the open in the barn like that probably isn't going to be the safest idea......

I am very glad they didn't take the easy way out by explaining all of this away as an accident, or a misunderstanding. Rose Quartz killed, knowingly and by choice, for what she believed was right. There's no sugar-coating it, and that is good.

This does not make her a bad person, this was a war after all, and morality in war is... difficult. It does however add another crack to Rose's facade of perfection, which helps to humanize (pun not intended) her further. It also opens an important opportunity for Steven to grow as a character: He can now attempt to redeem his mother through his own choices, and rise out of Rose's shadow as his own person. He couldn't really do that before.

There's also a bit of an interesting parallel with Steven and his interactions with the Ruby. Steven tried to remain compassionate and friendly, but was ultimately forced to act due to the Ruby's relentless hostility. He didn't shatter her, but one has to question whether drifting through space forever is any better (for a human it'd probably be worse, but gems are weird).

so i finally caught up on the new episodes

Know Your Fusion was excellent, all of the jokes were perfect (footage courtesy of Cartoon Network, "Do we still have to pay her?", etc.) I'd also love to see what Opal's room looks like, and for that matter what Sapphire and Ruby's rooms look like separately

Kindergarten Kid was also similarly hilarious, and adorable. Shame about all of the Peridot's new outfit teasing they were doing ("Peridots are so resilient!" more like yeah this is just an excuse for slapstick humour and you won't get to see her new outfit until later D:).

Finally, Bubbled.
Dark as hell with Steven and Eyeball's conflict, though it was cool how different versions of the same gem can summon different weapons. RIP Ruby squad, they're all probably shattered by now. The ending was heartbreaking as well, but it's nice to actually have strong confirmation that without a doubt, Rose killed Pink Diamond.

Waiting for the new eps is gonna be painful now that they're weekly :/

that episode was beautiful

That episode was kinda...mehhhh...

Was afraid it was going to head into "The New Lars" territory for a bit.

it felt like it should've been a season 1 episode, not 4; it was a bit too simple and like why did steven have to work to pay it back when he's now a multimillionaire and also has the ability to fix things with his spit

We've talked about this for a little bit, among other things, but aside from the awkward and largely inconsequential plot, Future Boy Zoltron also had some strange animation problems. The visuals seemed off and even outright bad on occasion. Like, there's a shot near the beginning where, after Steven runs over to the arcade, he just freezes in place and awkwardly stares at the ground for a while. He's meant to look at the Zoltron machine, but if you trace his gaze, he's actually looking away from it. It also got some pretty meh face work going, Mr. Smiley looks bug-eyed in a couple shot and some of the expressions lack life.

By contrast, I rewatched Mindful Education a couple times. Initially my reaction was "ok", but it has really grown on me since and it's honestly a pretty good and engaging insight into the deeper workings of fusion. Plus, the song in it is great (minus one line I'm kind of iffy about, but that's just a nitpick) and so are the visuals accompanying it.

In fact, the greatness of Mindful Education makes Future Boy Zoltron even more jarring. I don't understand why they were aired in that order. Instead of continuing the narrative of Steven having to come to terms with the fallout from his actions, we get this odd, disconnected episode with Steven being cheerful and nonchalant. It really feels like this is something they found lying around in the archives and were like "shit, we have this finished, might as well put it somewhere".

Anyway, next episode is called "Gem Harvest", so I assume we'll return to the homeworld intrigue with that in some way. Unless it's a filler episode where we meet the owner of the barn, who ropes the gems into doing farm work in exchange for letting two people live there. Who knows, really.

Yeah I noticed something seemed off about Mr. Smiley when they showed a close up of his face near the beginning, especially his eyes.

To me, there's a particular moment right after he makes the quarter joke and does a rimshot. The close-up after that is just... eugh.

Did anyone else notice that at around 8 minutes in the moon is cut distinctly in half and there's stars where the moon should be/ I really don't think it's an animation error, and could it just simply not be the moon but rather something else?

Also nice cameo from Zarya

These kinds of human-centric episodes are so much better when the Gems are allowed to get in on the interactions with the human world, instead of the often-seen "Steven deals with (random Beach City citizen)'s problems for 11 minutes, the gems either don't exist or are used as throwaway props".

Also, Pearl knows how to do a perfect handbrake turn and Amethyst knows who Shakespeare is. Hidden depths all around.

Back