Steven Universe

Sylveon said:
Is it it just me or do I think that pearl worked with White diamond once before going renegade?

Possible. The current popular theory is that the fourth diamond was Red Diamond, or Rose Quartz and our Pearl was her pearl.

Between Pearl's pink hair, the pink diamonds on her space suit and original Holo Pearl, and the double-meaning of Rose's "my Pearl" line, I still think her being Rose / Pink Diamond's Pearl is the most likely option, although I've heard the White Diamond's Pearl theory a couple times now.

Been watching this show a lot recently, and I love it.

What's the deal with the main character gems, though? Did they betray the other gems? Are the other gems planning something sinister Rose, Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl didn't approve of?

The Gems were against Homeworld's plans to colonize the Earth, which would put an end to all life on it, mainly because they've grown to love the beauty and worth of the planet. So basically they went viva la revolucion on them. Hope that helps a bit.

So.
Cartoon Network UK posted some clips from upcoming episodes.
And when I say clips I mean the meat of two episodes.

Click for spoilers:
http://www.cartoonnetwork.co.uk/videos/steven-universe-giant-fight-steven-universe-cartoon-network
http://www.cartoonnetwork.co.uk/videos/steven-universe-spaceship-smashdown-steven-universe-cartoon-network

1uFLohu.jpg

I was doing a good job of avoiding spoilers, including the earlier one, but just had 2/3 spoiled by YouTube video recommendation thumbnails.

Ghost Jam said:
So.
Cartoon Network UK posted some clips from upcoming episodes.
And when I say clips I mean the meat of two episodes.

Click for spoilers:
http://www.cartoonnetwork.co.uk/videos/steven-universe-giant-fight-steven-universe-cartoon-network
http://www.cartoonnetwork.co.uk/videos/steven-universe-spaceship-smashdown-steven-universe-cartoon-network

This is a really sadistic move, because on one hand I don't want to have anything spoiled for me, but on the other hand I am so starved for SU material that I really want to know what this is about.

Well, the internet never forgets, so someone will probably reupload them again at some point.

Perhaps even right now.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEhU8CQJ4Dw/

IT'S HAPPENING

edit: also found this http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/22/steven-universe-returning-in-too-deep

it's finally not a stevenbomb for once, thank god

there's a video going around about "in too deep" and it makes me scream

what's gonna happen
i wish i knew
lmao we're gonna die

Nozomi Toujou said:
there's a video going around about "in too deep" and it makes me scream

what's gonna happen
i wish i knew
lmao we're gonna die
I'm not going to tempt myself but I know I'm going to get spoiled by someone eventually.
Might as well shut myself off from the whole internet, see you guys in 2 weeks.

it's the commercial not leaked footage. sorry i was awfully vague and hinted at leaked footage by accident

It's almost too bad that the end of the fight was already spoiled a month or three ago in the UK leak.

Lol, the jasper memes are already appearing.

Lapis Lazuli!!!!! I bet next couple episodes will be Lapis-centered. Given that Barn Mates is definitely Lapis centered, I'm excited to see where we go with the two of them. Heck, I've heard rumors about the last episode of In Too Deep and I am pretty sure Lapis will become like Peridot has.

Also, for Jasper fans, I guess the SU crew said that Jasper has a "very complex character", and that we'll see what they mean. Basically she fell in that pit because they know that Jasper will probably be important, but they need to focus on what's going to happen with Lapis first and dealing with Yellow Diamond going after Peridot.

Another thing that many people pointed out was the fact that they made sure NOT to show Jasper's face. A lot of people think that her gem got cracked. Could be nothing, but they definitely didn't mind showing Lapis' face, so maybe she'll have to be nice to the Crystal Gems in order to heal her gem, and begin the reformation of her character, but we'll see. At least let's give Pearl a hand for showing any signs of stopping her from falling off the cliff.

And Gem Drill was just too great. Steven sure is discovering more and more about what he really is (What we really are), and given the facts from Keeping It Together, most - if not all - of the gems in the cluster are probably Crystal Gems broken, so when Steven said that it would destroy the Earth, it definitely made the cluster reluctant to form. And Peridot saying "I love you" to Steven when they thought they were going to die...feels.

All in all, 3 more episodes of "In Too Deep", and I'm excited to see where it takes us!!

i can't believe jasper is fucking dead

I appreciate that they pulled out a two-parter to start the In Too Deep special, and by separating the gems and steven/periodot they were able to tackle two plot points that have been lingering for the entire last season in the space of two episodes and handle them incredibly well for the time they had, at least in my opinion. What didn't make sense was the way they separated the gems from Steven. Compared to past episodes, the Gems didn't really have much of a personality aside from 'STEVEN UR IN DANGER WE'LL DEAL WITH MALACHITE', then at the end of the episode, they're totally alright with letting him face an eldritch horror at the centre of the earth. I get that the point was that Steven still managed to help them and somehow proved himself (and resulted in that adorable closing out animation), but the attention given to that was seriously thin, especially since we've gone over that point so many times, so it still amazes me that the gems doubt his capabilities.

Then again, they'd be fucked if they actually took Steven with them so idk
Regardless, watermelon island was equal parts cute and action-y and the fight with Malachite was great. Liked seeing Alexandrite wield everyone's combined weapons at least once, but I wonder what her ultimate weapon is (aside from Opal's bow).

I enjoyed Gem Drill much more; it was sweet and was honestly the best way the could've resolved the cluster arc. Steven saving everyone with the Power of Friendship normally wouldn't work for me but here, it somehow does. I also like how the episode managed to highlight how far the Peridemption has come since we started, what with Peridot getting existential when mentioning peridotite and the exchange when they're about to be engulfed by the cluster (Sorry I couldn't save you and the other 6 billion people I care less about!). Speaking of that, Peridot had the best parts ever "Did you try the D-Pad?"

But yeah, Steven helping the cluster find peace in its unholy hivemind was a great way to deal with that imo.

And now that both overarching villians from Season 2 have been dealt with, hopefully the gems can now focus on dealing with Yellow Diamond, because she'll be pissed.

not until after LAPIS LAZULI DID NOTHING WRONG is plastered in bold writing on their barn however. excited for the Lapisredemption (??)

GBAToad said:
What didn't make sense was the way they separated the gems from Steven. Compared to past episodes, the Gems didn't really have much of a personality aside from 'STEVEN UR IN DANGER WE'LL DEAL WITH MALACHITE', then at the end of the episode, they're totally alright with letting him face an eldritch horror at the centre of the earth. I get that the point was that Steven still managed to help them and somehow proved himself (and resulted in that adorable closing out animation), but the attention given to that was seriously thin, especially since we've gone over that point so many times, so it still amazes me that the gems doubt his capabilities.

There is technically a possible explanation for that.

It pretty much boils down to Garnet future vision shenanigans. It's very likely that she's checked ahead for possible outcomes, and the most recurring elements in those were probably "we're going to be destroyed by Malachite", "if the melons help, we're going to beat Malachite", and "we're going to be stuck on the island while the cluster is going off".

Part of the advantages of being a seer is that your actions can influence reality towards the most desirable outcome, but you need to be skilled at guessing what actions lead to which outcomes to pull it off. In this case the most desirable outcome would be the one where the melons help the gems beat Malachite. So what Garnet needed to do was confront Malachite with the others, make sure that Steven stays near the drill so someone can stop the cluster while the gems are stuck, and also keep Steven in a mindset that would allow him to go to sleep and rally the watermelons later.

Now, if Garnet told Steven something like "I have foreseen that we're going to fight Malachite and die, but also maybe not if you make the watermelons help us. In any case we will be stuck on the island meaning you and Peridot will have to go after the cluster alone!", that's going to put intense pressure on Steven. He will still be near the drill to stop the cluster, but chances are he will be too stressed out to go to sleep and come up with that whole rally plan, meaning the gems will lose their fight and be destroyed.

So really, by giving him a non-reason like "We need you to stay here, it's too dangerous", it allows the gems to leave Steven near the drill while also keeping him in a clear enough state of mind to allow him to come up with the plan that ultimately decides the outcome of the battle with Malachite.

tl;dr version: Garnet's a seer and she knows how to play her cards right.

Dr. Alphys said:
GBAToad said:
What didn't make sense was the way they separated the gems from Steven. Compared to past episodes, the Gems didn't really have much of a personality aside from 'STEVEN UR IN DANGER WE'LL DEAL WITH MALACHITE', then at the end of the episode, they're totally alright with letting him face an eldritch horror at the centre of the earth. I get that the point was that Steven still managed to help them and somehow proved himself (and resulted in that adorable closing out animation), but the attention given to that was seriously thin, especially since we've gone over that point so many times, so it still amazes me that the gems doubt his capabilities.

There is technically a possible explanation for that.

It pretty much boils down to Garnet future vision shenanigans. It's very likely that she's checked ahead for possible outcomes, and the most recurring elements in those were probably "we're going to be destroyed by Malachite", "if the melons help, we're going to beat Malachite", and "we're going to be stuck on the island while the cluster is going off".

Part of the advantages of being a seer is that your actions can influence reality towards the most desirable outcome, but you need to be skilled at guessing what actions lead to which outcomes to pull it off. In this case the most desirable outcome would be the one where the melons help the gems beat Malachite. So what Garnet needed to do was confront Malachite with the others, make sure that Steven stays near the drill so someone can stop the cluster while the gems are stuck, and also keep Steven in a mindset that would allow him to go to sleep and rally the watermelons later.

Now, if Garnet told Steven something like "I have foreseen that we're going to fight Malachite and die, but also maybe not if you make the watermelons help us. In any case we will be stuck on the island meaning you and Peridot will have to go after the cluster alone!", that's going to put intense pressure on Steven. He will still be near the drill to stop the cluster, but chances are he will be too stressed out to go to sleep and come up with that whole rally plan, meaning the gems will lose their fight and be destroyed.

So really, by giving him a non-reason like "We need you to stay here, it's too dangerous", it allows the gems to leave Steven near the drill while also keeping him in a clear enough state of mind to allow him to come up with the plan that ultimately decides the outcome of the battle with Malachite.

tl;dr version: Garnet's a seer and she knows how to play her cards right.
damn son i need to lrntolore because future vision completely slipped my mind

now it makes sense thanks edo

Back