Steven Universe

perfect opener to a stevenbomb; not only was it freaking adorable there were lots of huge confirmations and teasers about homeworld that they'll probably never touch upon again for a while (but the fandom will no doubt obsess over).

blue diamond, yus

garnet's initial appearance was a little surprising but i love it, it's the perfect symbol to show ruby and sapphire's bond growing stronger (and hence garnet's appearance and power being more refined) as they become more confident with their relationship over time

laughed at 'terrifying renegade pearl' because pearl being infamously nuts to homeworld gems makes so much sense

darn 11 minute blocks why do you keep forsaking me
need moar nao

GBAToad said:
garnet's initial appearance was a little surprising but i love it, it's the perfect symbol to show ruby and sapphire's bond growing stronger (and hence garnet's appearance and power being more refined) as they become more confident with their relationship over time
Plus, first times are usually kinda messy and awkward.

But yeah, great episode. I'm gonna have to come up with excuses to flake out from school early every day this week to see the rest of 'em, lol.

That song though is so beautiful. I can see why they were teasing about how some of the best episodes this season are in the stevenbomb.

There's lapis in the background while the 3 rubies and sapphire are walking. Also, it's interesting to see Blue Diamond's Pearl.

When garnet says love at the end, I just smiled. For 11 minutes, they did such a great job.

tbh I didn't like steven's birthday as much as the answer but this was still a pretty dang good episode

it gives insight to the theory about steven's aging, it has amazing connie moments, and I just really liked this one

but I seriously wished they could've had peridot interact with connie and greg, but I guess there's always next episode :/

*steven has facial hair*
"any more where that came from?" - amethyst (i can't believe she said that)
"ehehehe" - connie while it looks like she's imagining (oh my god)

Yeah, pretty neat. I really wanna know what happened to Russia.

And to the surprise of no one, Ronaldo was right about the Diamond Authority.

Also not surprised that they declined to show the full set, but at least from process of elimination, we know the spiky-haired one fighting Rose in the murals in "Serious Steven" are all White/Clear Diamond - making me wonder if her gem's triangular, unlike the apparently diamond-shaped Yellow and Blue Diamonds' gems, but like the post-Rose diamond symbol redesign (and then maybe she used a triangle for her shield as a take-that to her rival).

Period did not do a good job of hiding that she took the thing. Wonder if it's a communication device - or a red herring.

this show still manages to get better every episode

deepest lore

ASHIAFHSFLSOFKISFFSFLISHFSKFJSBHKFSHIOJF

i have no words
none

So after rewatching "The Answer", there is something I've noticed.

During the sky arena battle, Ruby didn't summon her weapon. In fact, during the entire flashback, no one used a summoned weapon whatsoever.

This makes me think. Is weapon summonning a technique/technology that was invented during the rebellion? And is it perhaps even something unique to the Crystal Gems (and possibly something that gave them an edge in the war)? All those enemy weapons littering those ancient gem battlegrounds seem to be mundane (otherwise they probably would have disappeared with the defeat of their owners).

In fact, the only Non-Crystal Gem I recall right now who ever used weapon summonning was Jasper, and she had that rant about "respecting Rose's tactics", meaning this could be a reason why she bothered to try it herself.

IIRC, only when training and during that flashback in the episode where Connie learns how to swordfight.

In said flashback, Pearl still has a mundane sword, while Rose does have her summoned shield, though it's possible (and likely) that Rose figured out weapon summonning before Pearl, and that this battle took place before Pearl learned to do it.

Dr. Alphys said:
So after rewatching "The Answer", there is something I've noticed.

During the sky arena battle, Ruby didn't summon her weapon. In fact, during the entire flashback, no one used a summoned weapon whatsoever.

This makes me think. Is weapon summonning a technique/technology that was invented during the rebellion? And is it perhaps even something unique to the Crystal Gems (and possibly something that gave them an edge in the war)? All those enemy weapons littering those ancient gem battlegrounds seem to be mundane (otherwise they probably would have disappeared with the defeat of their owners).

In fact, the only Non-Crystal Gem I recall right now who ever used weapon summonning was Jasper, and she had that rant about "respecting Rose's tactics", meaning this could be a reason why she bothered to try it herself.

I smiled when I read all this, as I had the exact same thoughts that night. Garnet, in an earlier episode, explained to Steven that there was a method to calling out your weapon. I figure it's an advanced technique, perhaps one that Rose Quartz invented.

that's an interesting theory. the weapons not poofing on the battlefield with their owners is an especially great observation

it does make me think that perhaps not much has changed in that regard anyway?

looking at the homeworld gems we've seen (in battle), lapis has a natural ability to control water and thus doesn't need to 'summon' a weapon. peridot's 'weapon' was just a bunch of machinery desgned to enhance her abilities, and in a similar sense jasper never really summoned a weapon per se, it was more of a helmet that enhanced her ability to do spin rolls (iirc), she mostly used that gem-splitter thing.

then again jasper still techincally summoned something and assuming jaspers are the big military units homeworld always uses for warfare, i doubt she'd have thought of that ability on her own, it might've been something she was trained to do, whereas peridot wasn't designed for warfare so she wouldn't need to be taught that.

i think you're right, perhaps homeworld adopted the tactic after their loss and employed it through their military units like jasper because that's where it would be most logical

i hope we get an ep where the gems teach peridot to summon something

I also noticed the conspicuous lack of weapons. Seeing as fusion also seemed to be a new concept, it'd definitely make sense if they hadn't figured out gem weapons either.

Anyway, regarding the last couple episodes,

I liked how in-character Peridot's plan to talk Yellow Diamond out of destroying the earth was, although even with her temper, I was skeptical of her going from calling YD "god" to "clod" over the course of one conversation - but I guess I can understand it from a "gotta make her official defection cathartic and fun" rather than just shock, horror and disillusionment about her beloved diamond being like "the Earth sucks and I'm leaving you to die on it with everything else for thinking otherwise" - that's more, gritty adult sci-fi style.

As for Yellow Diamond, love her voice and demeanour, and her face was cool, but her neck is long and spindly to the point of distraction. Like, it looks like her head is like one of those big erasers you can put on the end of your pencil. The extended intro definitely didn't look as extreme, so I kinda hope future depictions will be more like that.

Anyway, the log episode was great. Green Canadian flag, wooo. Also, Steven awkwardly starting the birds and the bees talk, Peri & Greg (future vision to the rescue), Opal, "I'm a chicken!" (love a good brick joke). I definitely didn't expect Garnet to offer to fuse out of the blue, or that Peri would even consider it, but I'm glad she realized she wasn't ready rather than trying to push herself too far out of her comfort zone, which is a nice message in itself - and of course Garnet would be awesome about that too (square mom is best mom).

Also, dat face:

Op3vEhD.gif

oh man this episode was so great

i don't even know where to start

also thanks walkazo for reminding me that garnet has future vision because i keep forgetting and it explains like half of garnet's actions

Another thing regarding the "Message Received" episode:

While I am glad we finally got to see Yellow Diamond, I am not... overly fond of the face she made when Peridot insulted her.

I don't know, but to me that face seemed to be pure meme bait. I really hope that Steven Universe will not go overboard with things like that. I'm not too fond of characters reacting exaggeratedly (and potentially even out of character if done really clumsily) just so the internet has material for more image macros.

Like, if your show is good, the internet will find their memes on their own, so there's really no need to force it.

Dr. Alphys said:

While I am glad we finally got to see Yellow Diamond, I am not... overly fond of the face she made when Peridot insulted her.

I don't know, but to me that face seemed to be pure meme bait. I really hope that Steven Universe will not go overboard with things like that. I'm not too fond of characters reacting exaggeratedly (and potentially even out of character if done really clumsily) just so the internet has material for more image macros.

Like, if your show is good, the internet will find their memes on their own, so there's really no need to force it.
It's definitely stylized, but I thought of it more as just a face with some exaggerated detail, like what SpongeBob did every once in a while. I didn't get the impression it was done just for the giggling Internet folk.

Dr. Alphys said:

latest

Dr. Alphys said:
I'm not too fond of characters reacting exaggeratedly (and potentially even out of character if done really clumsily) just so the internet has material for more image macros.

the one thing i regrettably enjoyed in Log Date 7 15 2
was the part where peridot begins shipping all of the characters in a TV show based on one episode. it was funny at the time but now i'm not sure what to think of it b/c it kinda seems like it was done just to bait reaction gifs/whatever

anyway that episode was cute, and it felt really well constructed for 11 minutes. the jokes were given enough distance such that peridot's adorkable approach to understanding earth felt entirely natural for her (pushing greg off the building to test whether earth-life can fly was amazing, and of course getting amethyst to turn into a chicken)

also yay more opal, still best fusion (aside from garnet)

i knew that garnet and peridot wouldn't fuse because if they did we'd've certainly seen leaks of it and steven universe fans go ZOMG, and afaik the biggest leak from this bomb was yellow diamond

Walkazo said:
Anyway, regarding the last couple episodes,

I definitely didn't expect Garnet to offer to fuse out of the blue, or that Peri would even consider it, but I'm glad she realized she wasn't ready rather than trying to push herself too far out of her comfort zone, which is a nice message in itself - and of course Garnet would be awesome about that too (square mom is best mom).
yeah that was incredibly well done. square mom is certainly best mom all moms

also in regard to edo's no summoned weapons theory:

i've been rewatching season 2 with my sis so she can catch up, and something peridot said in 'Too Far' was relevant

amethyst summons her whip to break off the drill head of one of the injectors, and peridot replies 'see, you can even do things a normal quartz can do' or something to that extent. peridot doesn't really mention the abilities of the other gems other than the fact that pearl is defective and garnet is a 'war machine'

i think the fan consensus is that peridot's relatively young (she read up on 300 years of gem tech history or summat to understand earth gem tech) so it seems that in *new* homeworld, summoning a weapon is commonplace for quartz gems. for old homeworld, this remains to be seen but I think edo is right in saying they adopted the technique

Time Turner said:
Dr. Alphys said:

It's definitely stylized, but I thought of it more as just a face with some exaggerated detail, like what SpongeBob did every once in a while. I didn't get the impression it was done just for the giggling Internet folk.
Yeah, I didn't like it either. Thought it sorta undermined the whole tone they'd set for her. Like, maybe that was the point - in that they wanted to lighten the mood or something, but that wasn't a good time for that, and SU is usually much better at knowing where to use the silly...

(pretty sure that's broadly worded enough for no spoilers, anyway)

Back