Steven Universe

2257 said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/steven-universe-cartoon-network-censor-same-sex-scene-uk-version-lgbt-a6800371.html

??? it was too gay for britain but ok for the us?

Perhaps the UK wasn't as in love with Flashdance as the USA was and still is.

I don't get it. Their lips don't even touch in the scene that was cut out (whereas Rose's and Greg's do at the end).

Like, by that logic the censors should have exploded when Ruby and Sapphire smooched on camera and then sang a song about how in love they are with each other. Although maybe they weren't paying much attention and thought Ruby is male or something, I don't know.

It's like some sort of alien thought process where certain nuances fail to register but then a fairly innocent scene that isn't much different from the other ones suddenly triggers a Level 12 Offense response and everyone collectively shits themselves.

Maybe you have to be some kind of robot to be a censor. I don't know.

oH nO,, dancing? ? ??? fusion ? ?? ? thINk of the CHILDREN

also man i just remembered how much i love that song

GBAToad said:
also yay more opal, still best fusion (aside from garnet)

It was really nice to see how comfortable Pearl and Amethyst are with forming Opal now. It really puts both of their character development in perspective.

GBAToad said:
i knew that garnet and peridot wouldn't fuse because if they did we'd've certainly seen leaks of it and steven universe fans go ZOMG, and afaik the biggest leak from this bomb was yellow diamond

It would have made for a nice surprise out of nowhere though, lol. But yeah, Peridot's not ready, and that's perfectly fine.

It's also a nice semi-call back about Garnet's fusion philosophy and how fusion is not all about merging into one being. Garnet and Peridot didn't physically merge, but they seem to have successfully synchronized (or begun to synchronize).

GBAToad said:
Dr. Alphys said:
I'm not too fond of characters reacting exaggeratedly (and potentially even out of character if done really clumsily) just so the internet has material for more image macros.

Like, if your show is good, the internet will find their memes on their own, so there's really no need to force it.
the one thing i regrettably enjoyed in Log Date 7 15 2
was the part where peridot begins shipping all of the characters in a TV show based on one episode. it was funny at the time but now i'm not sure what to think of it b/c it kinda seems like it was done just to bait reaction gifs/whatever

anyway that episode was cute, and it felt really well constructed for 11 minutes. the jokes were given enough distance such that peridot's adorkable approach to understanding earth felt entirely natural for her (pushing greg off the building to test whether earth-life can fly was amazing, and of course getting amethyst to turn into a chicken)

I didn't actually mind that scene. It's really silly, yes, but writing a scientific analysis of all characters in a soap opera and figuring out the most efficient pairings is just such a Peridot thing to do, it works without compromising her established character. Like, the key factor here is that it is silly but without sacrificing characterization or tone of scene. And doing it like that is a-ok in my book.

So you can probably feel comfortable enjoying that scene without doubts or regrets.

Speaking of it: That episode was pretty good in general. Since there was a Steven/Peridot, a Pearl/Peridot, and a Amethyst/Peridot episode, I've been expecting a Garnet/Peridot episode to complete the set. And they did a pretty good job delivering, tying in Peridot's audio logs as well, which was a cute touch and a good way to tie it all together.

On top of all that it was also genuinely funny and entertaining. Not entirely sure yet, but it might actually have been my favorite episode out of the bunch since it's been so well executed.

We might have to figure out an alternative to all these spoiler tags. This post was really annoying to format.

Yeah, I didn't mind that scene because it's using humor to develop a character, which is something I really love. Plus, a tongue-in-cheek joke isn't bad every once in a while. It's not like this show is running off fanservice.

I guess I was a bit stingy in saying that lol

I did forget Garnet being into it at the end, so much that when Peridot asked why she stays fused all the time, she replies 'It's like Percy and Pierre' and then Peridot gets it, which was the biggest 'awww' moment of the ep. (I also like how no-one mentioned/cared that peridot was shipping a same-sex couple, they were all just cool with it which is :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:)

@Opal discussion, yeah it really shows how far amethyst has come since Giant Woman. On a tangentially related note, I personally hope Peridot fuses with Amethyst first as a result, especially considering how much peridot seemingly admires her, I think she'd be more comfortable and might actually be successful. Huge props to Garnet again for broadening her view in the first place tho.

such a great episode, even as a standalone without any of the other stuff that happened this week

also yeah the spoiler tags are not fun for quoting things but i'm not sure what to do instead, i'd rather keep certain parts of the ep spoilered for a while just in case there are people who missed the ep. maybe we could put a time limit on when you should use spoilers and then after that passes you're fine to post things spoiler-tag free? idk it'd still be a hassle for a while but it'd reduce the amount of spoiler tags we'd use

also no one's mentioned it so far but i love peridot's hiss when steven tells her to stop calling him the steven

Yeah, that was also a great moment. I'm thinking this episode was my favourite of the (overall, very excellent) bomb too, just because everything was done so well, from the unique (for the series so far) framing device to like every detail. It was just 100% enjoyable.

Also, regarding Camp Pining Hearts:
Peridot's rationale for Percy and Pierre being the best couple was because they would be the strongest and destroy the camp or something, which seemed essentially a parallel for her and Amethyst - the gem she views as the strongest and best of the group (and has a huge crush on): the Pierre to her Percy. So if/when she does fuse with someone, my money's on Amethyst, but ya never know.

i was going to post that, yeah

the line "it's subtext" was a bit out of character but other than that, camp pining hearts is a really great way to show peridot human life in a way she can understand

So, how long will it be til the next episode this time? August? 2020?

Dr. Alphys said:
So, how long will it be til the next episode this time? August? 2020?

From what we've been seeing, July seems most likely. Keep in mind that this time last year Rebecca Sugar stated that she just finished episode 99 and that we wouldn't see it until Fall 2016, and Log Date was episode 78.

Wow. I was joking when I said August, but... really? July?

Is there a reason for these massive schedule gaps? Are they getting screwed by the network? Is the show not doing well? Is it the cows?

idk, i'm pretty sure there'll be more before then - like, they have to fit 21 more episodes in before september (or whenever episode 99 airs)

also sometimes the time between stevenbombs hasn't been that long - like, there was less than a month between the second and third one

Dr. Alphys said:
Wow. I was joking when I said August, but... really? July?

Is there a reason for these massive schedule gaps? Are they getting screwed by the network? Is the show not doing well? Is it the cows?

Not really screwed, they are an independent studio that contracts out to Cartoon Network. That basically means they are always on the backburner of show lineups, but so long as the show is pulling in rating, it'll always have a spot somewhere. Takes all the risk off Cartoon Network, so they can just kick back and reap all the free rerun numbers while new episodes are worked on.

July seems like an obnoxiously long time. do they not have any episodes made or something?

Something else I just wanted to mention, pretty sure Message Received is the first time we saw another Pearl. I had kinda made the assumption that all Pearls were slaves or something from how Peridot treated the crystal gem one, but it's interesting to see how Yellow Diamond's Pearl takes pride in serving Yellow Diamond.

Dr. Alphys said:
Goddamnit! :mad:
sorry D:

Nabber said:
okay but we didn't really get any personality out of that
still, it's technically the first time we've seen another pearl

also the amount of fanart those two pearls have from like 1-2 scenes max is ridiculous
then again what else could i expect from the su fandom

Is it it just me or do I think that pearl worked with White diamond once before going renegade?

Back