Steven Universe

Also episode thoughts/responses:

Nightmare Hospital - Connie destroying two monsters with one move probably helped her mom be a bit more open-minded about it all (seeing is believing), but who knows, perhaps there will still be conditions and whatnot: saying and doing are different things. Plus, I bet they won't be telling her about Stevonnie anytime soon: I doubt that would go down as smoothly.

Sadie's Song - Pretty average episode, but I liked that Jamie cameoed and Mr. Smiley's encouragement of Sadie was good too, plus it was nice to get confirmation that Sadie's mom's the mail-lady.

Catch and Release - Everyone predicted Peridot would join the Gems, but it's interesting that it's as a prisoner/squatter in their bathroom of all places. The reveal that her arms and legs were mechanical add-ons was cool: a surprising but "oh, of course they were!" moment, since it makes perfect sense that they were just another example of gem tech moving forward, rather then Gems themselves having more hi-tech bodies somehow. (Although it begs the question of what her gem weapon actually is, if not her fingers - it'll probably be modest and relatively weak, like Ruby's small gauntlet, since Peridot seems to be the same class of Gem as her and Sapphire, only she used technology to make her stronger, rather than fusion.) It also means she can be a non-dangerous prisoner with whom Steven can interact - plus, her being his height now also feeds into that, although personally, I still like her with her cool enhancements, rather than as a tiny monkey Gem, but she's fun either way. It'll be interesting to see what happens next; I'm hoping she'll be a way for Steven to learn more of the unsavory backstory the Gems have been hiding from him / don't know themselves, but I dunno, I feel like she's less likely to ultimately turn good than Lapis: if she gets a chance to go home and forget Earth, she will. But maybe that'll change thanks to Steven's kindness, who knows.

everything about catch and release was adorable, i really hope this is one of those "recruiting villian to defeat greater evil"-type arcs. idc if peridot doesn't stay permanently but having her temporarily join the team would be great

the rest of the crystal gems also had some great lines in this episode
"you know we're just gonna pound her into a green pancake"
"what other option do we have? keep her outside on a leash? ahahahah... hmmmm"
tumblr_nv7d9xCmv61rz6w0do1_500.gif

pretty much the greatest ep we've had for a while. sadie's song didn't do much for me, though i did like nightmare hospital for its introduction of the clusters(?) as real enemies steven will likely need to encounter later on, and the resolution between connie and her mom was nice, but WOW it really seemed like connie's mom was off the entire episode

When I read the title of the next episode when it was added to Wikipedia a few weeks ago, I wasn't expecting the friend to being referenced to be Peridot.

Welp, major plot development in "When it Rains"

Fucking Peridot is so precious when she feels rain for the first time.

But yeah, so the Cluster being a massive gem experiment wasn't a surprise, but I was expecting it to be like either an army of them or a massive one that could easily crush the gems, but man, it being in the core of the Earth AND will completely just shatter it when it emerges from the ground? Just, this is a really dark development to the plot that is pretty intense. I am curious on how in the world they will be able to even approach stopping the cluster. It just seems so theoretically impossible, and I understand that there's magic, but getting to the center of the earth to destroy a U.S.-sized gem chunk just seems out of bounds for even SU.

"oh hey let's leave steven alone that always works out well"

garnet's little goodbye heart to steven is so adorable omg. best mom

i actually like the 11 minute format

it's frustrating that the episodes are released so far apart, but binge watching them makes you realize how effective the pacing is

What an absolutely horrible cliffhanger.

I'm going to die.

Nabber said:
"oh hey let's leave steven alone that always works out well"

garnet's little goodbye heart to steven is so adorable omg. best mom
Well it did work out well.

And yeah, was not expecting the Cluster to be that large. But now it reminds me of something I saw pointed out once: Peridot's ship was a hand - odds are, there is a body somewhere. Still not planet-size, mind you, but still: Gems clearly like stuff large-scale.

i was actually expecting the cluster to be that large lol

when you consider that the kindergarten is this giant canyon just for harvesting gems, it seemed pretty logical that the gems were set on exploting the earth completely

though of course the heat of the earth should melt the cluster, but whatever, at least they got the rain cycle to be scientifically accurate

i always feel like the episodes end too quickly

also i thought the cluster was that hand/arm thing, i guess because steven universe wiki started calling it that and i uncritically accepted it

Yeah, I'd wondered where they got the name since the show never used it, but just assumed I'd missed an official tweet or something.

I question other things I read there, sometimes. Like, saying Sadie's 16. If she was working at the Big Donut for 2 years as of Season 1, it seems more likely she'd be 18 at least. The fact that she lives in her mom's basement and considers it a bunker, rather than just having a normal room, and her attitude about her "summer job" turning into a long-term job just seems more like a post-highschooler bummed out about not being able to make a life for themself.

idk, I'd just like to see citations, man.

2257 said:
god, if theres one thing about this show i dont like (and there pretty much is just one thing about it that i don't like) it's the 11 minute format
pretty much

i usually have high praise for what the su team are capable of doing in 11 minutes but it does limit their handling of heavy developments like this. if this was in the middle of a stevenbomb then i wouldn't really have a complaint because the next ep would be tomorrow but waiting a week on a cliffhanger isn't fun D:

i love smol peridot tho so it's not all bad

I really feel like this arc they're doing now should be a stevenbomb, because it's like every episode they are just ending on such strong cliffhangers and you're like "NO 7 MORE DAYS, WHAT TO DO?"

It is amazing how much they can fit into an episode with the time restraints, and I kind of prefer the 11 minute episodes than if it was a full thing because I feel like it's easier to watch the show, and they fit so much in it that you often just rewatch the episodes picking up more and more each time.

well i guess this will have to do with pacific rim 2

anyway, we've seen the competition plot over and over, but at least this time we get a pretty big revelation, in that there are multiple of each type of gems. and we essentially get gem racism.

meanwhile steven's cute little cluster impressions scare me because they seem like they're setting up something really fucked up at the end of the season

I thought the episode was...ok. I mean, we pretty much got confirmation that there's a mass number of gems of the same type and they go by a caste system, so Pearls are lower than Periodots, etc. What I would like to see is them visiting homeworld and seeing all the different versions of said gems.

At least it seems Peridot is becoming more knowledgeable on Earth and being nicer towards the Gems.

I've gotta say I was surprised at how composed Pearl remained throughout all of Peridot's BS; sucker-punching her in the face seemed like a pretty tame reaction but it definitely sent a powerful message

such a great episode, though it's sad to learn how horrible homeworld really is

Gamefreak75 said:
What I would like to see is them visiting homeworld and seeing all the different versions of said gems.
I reckon that'll definitely happen, but much farther down the line. It's clear that the gems and Peridot are all stuck on earth atm while they deal with the cluster/malachite, but after that i think it's highly likely they'll go to homeworld to deal with whatever shit they've got going on over there. I mean, unless homeworld comes to them

I feel like Homeworld will probably come to them. They just wanna protect Earth and live their lives free of fusion stigma and the oppressive caste system, not pick fights with the other Gems - especially since they're severely outgunned. And even if they were to go and fight the Homeworld, they'd wait until Steven was older and in full control of all his Gem abilities, not still a kid figuring stuff out.

So "Too Far" was aired early at this one thing, so I watched it, and I have came to a realization with the events of the episode.

latest

That might not be Jasper. In fact, I mean, what other white-haired gem do we know that has a somewhat similar? Amethyst.

But Amethyst are just the size of Steven, how can that be? Well, Peridot explains that Amethyst is an defective gem that took too long in the dirt, which made her small. She was meant as a warrior, and since she is a type of Quartz, she is meant to be big, like Rose Quartz is.

So that most likely means at least a great portion of the Kindergarden was to Amethysts, since Peridot points out how many of the holes are big since Amethysts came out of them.

Also, it looks like we are getting another Hiatus until 2016. I can't handle that long!

Haven't seen the episode but something I discovered a while ago was that jasper is also a kind of quartz, which in hindsight makes sense since she shares characteristics with Amethyst, like the hair you mentioned, and the rolling attack. Even Rose has big hair, so maybe that's a quartz thing in general.

Lapis Lazuli said:
Also, it looks like we are getting another Hiatus until 2016. I can't handle that long!

what goddammit

what is with cartoons and fucking stupid schedules

welp

https://twitter.com/mcburnett/status/679008312919064576

imho I think starting with season 3 they should pull a korra and make it entirely digital, if only just to make the show more frequent with release dates. these hiatuses are seriouslg killing my interest, just go back to weekly premieres goddangit

Eh, still updates more frequently than book, movie and videogame series.

Regarding the latest preview with Connie
I like how her reaction was pretty much the same as the fandom's upon learning that Steven's 14. The start of Greg's scrapbook with "infant" rather than a specific age makes me wonder if Steven looks 12 because that's how he feels, like in "So Many Birthdays", and that in the scrapbook, Steven's age is gonna lurch unevenly rather than be a gradual progression.

2257 said:
that episode was so cute im gonna die
that was my main thought throughout about the episode, holy *bleep* that was so good
probably my favorite part was when they hummed "stronger than you" together, I practically died there

also I'm really curious about the other parts of the rebellion now, surely they sent out a ruby squad for more than just two gems. maybe some of the corrupted gems like centipeedle and ice monster were with them...?

Back