SNES game compatibility

Shoko

Dry Bowser
Wiki Bureaucrat
'Shroom Consultant
MarioWiki
Shokora
Are SNES consoles from one region compatible with games from another? This is my situation.

I live in Australia, and I found a working SNES at a local garage sale a few weeks ago, and I was wanting to buy the original Donkey Kong Country games online (I can't find them at any nearby pawn shops). However, most of the good condition original boxed games are from the USA, and I'm very sure that the SNES I bought is PAL region. If I was to buy North American SNES games, would they work on my PAL region SNES?

Just wanted to be sure!

Anti-piracy stuff usually are

Normally, and quite frankly disappointingly, the best way to solve anti-piracy is to pirate. In this case I mean emulation. If you feel morally conflicted about stealing money from Nintendo then buying used games won't help.

NotABannableOffense said:
Normally, and quite frankly disappointingly, the best way to solve anti-piracy is to pirate. In this case I mean emulation. If you feel morally conflicted about stealing money from Nintendo then buying used games won't help.

Uh, some games come with anti-piracy measures to fish you up if you pirate games. See Earthbound, Pokemon, Mario & Luigi, etc.

Naw, I don't need to emulate them. I've played all the Donkey Kong Country GBA remakes, so it's not exactly a desire to play the games. It's more of a nostalgic collective desire: hence why I was wanting to get the original box and manual with the cartridge, while most of the localized Country games available online come with the cartridge alone (and that is why I haven't went and bought them yet).

Baby Luigi said:

Uh, some games come with anti-piracy measures to fish you up if you pirate games. See Earthbound, Pokemon, Mario & Luigi, etc.

I know about two of those and they have workarounds(sorta). My point is anti-piracy often doesn't slow down pirates permanently. It only takes one person or a small group of people working together to crack your system and then it is accessible by anyone.

Really, though, I'm straying from the point of this thread which has really been resolved as far as we know.

OP most likely has the wrong region of game.

From memory, the American carts were wider than the Australian ones so they firstly wouldn't fit into the console. You can get adapters (check Ebay) or mod the console (tutorials online but tricky if you don't know what you are doing) to play games of other regions. I haven't done it myself but I know a number of other people who have.

Also, you can check the region of your console by looking at it.

Australian:
SNES.jpg

American:
Nintendo_SNES_02.jpg

Back