The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014 (SteamOS)

ToxBox

Power Star
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

72 hours = 3 days

Three Announcements

Half-Life 3 confirmed

Also,
uX6eNvj.png

The controller have three buttons, that means...

OlA8Qtu.png

Half life?

Re: The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014

It's probably just some information about the Steam Box, no need to go making up the whole "Half-Life 3 confirmed" debacle

They did say it was most likely going to be released at the end of 2013, so I'm almost positive that's what this is about.

I already preordered my PS4 and I may get steambox if it is cheaper than PS4

C'mon Android support, then I'll finally have a use for my Ouya.

But yeah, Steambox sounds like the most probable thing.

Half-Life 3 confirmed
Followed by newspapers everywhere reporting about flying pig sightings.

what are you people talking about, they're clearly going to announce half-life 2 episode 2 part 2. what else could it be?

Well, PC gaming is no more. I can finally do all of great games on my Mac

I think it is a OS for dual boot so we can do games without other programs conflict with it (FireFox, for example) that takes up RAM

Nabber said:
Ness said:
macs still are pcs, you know

dont bother

this discussion has been had with him quite a few times and he never changes

Ness said:

I think it is a OS for dual boot so we can do games without other programs conflict with it (FireFox, for example) that takes up RAM
i hope you realize this isnt a dual boot os that serves as the ultimate solution for gaming

SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux

really?

speaking from personal experience, their linux support isnt exactly anything to be proud of. most games arent even supported, and the ones that are tend to be less stable than they are on windows

In-home Streaming

You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!

oh... uh... ok...

so how is this different from just plugging your tv directly into your computer

The design itself looks less than desirable.

But the main question is: "How well will it function?".

I also can't help but feel the "Right" and "Left" should be switched.

Unknown Entity said:
Are those "speakers" supposed to be d-pads?
they're supposed to be touchpads

playing first-person games is hard with d-pads, especially when you have keyboard-using competition

I just read all 3 announcements today. This looks pretty great. I think it's really neat how they're designing the controller so that it plays with every game, even ones that don't have controller support. Wonder how that will work.

Not sure if I'm actually going to get this when it comes out (depends on the price and what the final result of the system looks like) but it does look promising, and it would be really great to play Steam games on my TV than my laptop, which can't even run some of the more hi-res games I got.

Unknown Entity said:
Are those "speakers" supposed to be d-pads?

Yup. Quoted from the site:

The most prominent elements of the Steam controller are its two circular trackpads. Driven by the player's thumbs, each one has a high-resolution trackpad as its base. It is also clickable, allowing the entire surface to act as a button. The trackpads allow far higher fidelity input than has previously been possible with traditional handheld controllers. Steam gamers, who are used to the input associated with PCs, will appreciate that the Steam Controller's resolution approaches that of a desktop mouse.

I read a Kotaku article with a bunch of quotes from game developers, including half of Team Meat. Apparently, they think that the controller is actually really good (with "uncanny" haptic), and that while they would rather use an Xbox controller, they think that's only because it's what they're used to.

Yeah if there is one thing I like from the Xbox, it's the controller.
Also why didn't they name it GladOS? :(

Back