Your opinion on Skyward Sword?

NSY

Celestial Guide
Skyward Sword is the most controversial game in the zelda series, some love it to death, others see it as an disaster and some are in the middle. What is your opinion?

I actually really enjoyed the game. I thought the controls were 90% accurate, the dungeons were great, many past flaws were fixed and was pretty solid. However I thought the story could have been more interesting and paced better, they could have been more added to the flying and the sidequests could have been better. Other than that, it was a great game.

I'm not a completionist when it comes to Zelda games, but I rather enjoyed it, other than its slow start (but at least it didn't have another forsaken fortress...) I think it had the best level design of the Zelda games I've played, though I do have to complain that I ended up glitching my way through the final boss due to not knowing I could use Skyward Strikes.

People who complain about the motion controls obviously don't know how to use them correctly and/or suck.

The controls worked perfectly for me. Favorite Zelda game for me, anyway.

New Super Mario said:
People who complain about the motion controls obviously don't know how to use them correctly and/or suck.

Or maybe they just prefer the method that exploits the human mind's adaptability to immersive, intuitive button controls over the quite immersion-breaking necessity of vaguely replicating your character's moves without any sort of physical feedback.

I guess if the game system was able to make you actually believe you're swinging a sword instead of a plastic remote, by simulating weight, handling, and resistance of air/whatever you're cutting up at the moment, hardly anyone would ever complain about them. That would actually be the greatest thing ever, probably.

But technology has not advanced to the point where that is possible yet, so people who are taken out of the experience by the awkward implementation of motion controls have a good right to complain about that, whether you think it is reasonable or not.

Hey, I thought that Skyward Sword had the best plot of the entire series, and would not have changed any of it.

The motion controls worked fine for me, though after seeing my sibling and my parent play and them struggling with it, I can see why it can be annoying for some not-so-common gamers.

Really, it's hard to say where Skyward Sword belongs in terms of it's rating. It is so fresh and new, and it is actually one of the most original Zelda games out there, having a completely new feel where it didn't feel like it was having too many OoT references (I'm talking about Twilight Princess and basically the game having like way too much OoT stuff in it). It's really hard to say that this game is not one of the best Zelda games out there, if not the best.

However, there is just so many flaws too with the game. The art design was really good in some retrospect, but I don't know if it really hooked enough people to it. I felt that the exploration was great and re-visiting places was also really good, but I felt that they should have either opened up the map more in the three sectors or made some new spaces because I really did feel disappointed by the lack of land to roam through. And having to visit all of the locations minimum of 3 times definitely made that feel more of an issue.

I also was a bit disappointed in some of the dungeons and bosses. Like, The game had a lot of stuff in it that is more than OoT and TP's 9 dungeon stuff, but the 6 temples in this game were a bit of an undertaking, much like the overworld's size. I felt that the size of the last Fire Temple should have been about the size of the first or second temple. I just think there wasn't enough there to really get a feel for the dungeon and I thought they were too quick.

And it might have been too different from the normal Zelda games. Like, with Wind Waker as well, I'm sure a lot of people found it a bit hard to feel the Zelda in it when it's not the classic roaming over Hyrule fields to save a Princess named Zelda and defeat the evil guy Ganon (Wind Waker turned into that at the end, but not for the vast majority of the game). I think that whether or not Ganon is overused, he does bring a bit of a feeling of reassurance that this is a Zelda game, much like Bowser always being the bane of Mario in all the main Mario games. It didn't have Hyrule, Zelda wasn't a princess, and the bad guy was Demise - a new and definitely interesting villain. Now, this didn't affect me that much (I usually tend to be less bias about games based on whether I was growing with them or not), but I could see why this would have been a bit rough on many diehard Zelda fans.

Really, this game was much like a "love or hate" game for many. You either find it one of the best Zelda games to date, or you feel that it was a failure on the Zelda crew that made a "decent" Zelda game (no Zelda games suck. :P). I believe that reviewers overrated the game, and fans underrated the game. I feel that in a few more years, people will start to realize how good this game actually is. I mean, Majora's Mask was definitely underrated, until it was released on the Virtual Console, and then started realizing how great the game actually is.

I honestly just think this is a sort of game that just needs a few years to settle into people before they realize it's brillance. Just like with Wind Waker and Majora's Mask, this game is one that will definitely be loved by many in the longer run.

New Super Mario said:

That were my thoughts exactly...

...before I played the game.

my wrists still have not forgiven me for playing skyward sword

motion controls... well let's just say I don't like them a lot in any game.
I found it to be a pretty good game in general, tho.

this topic is perfect, now i can decide whether to get it or not based on the reasons in this topic.

Although ive heard its good before, but most questions about it seem to be avoided for some reason.

I think one problem that the game faces that it has no control over was the fact that it was announced over 2 years before it was released. Twilight Princess comes out in 2006, and then Phantom Hourglass in 2007. We get nothing for a long time except Spirit Tracks, but for about 3 years, we get nothing about the next big Zelda title. Then we got an image Link and Fi (back then as a mysterious figure), getting fans all hyped in E3 2009. Then in 2010 that the game was going to be out before the end of the year, and then E3 2010 came and we get just a little bit of the trailer, which threw many fans in excitement and a little bit of distaste at the art style (many thought they were going to be more realistic and not be so cartoony still). And of course, they revealed it was going to be out in 2011. Then a Nintendo Direct or whatever in early 2011 comes and we get a bit more of the game's gameplay, but still no plot. Finally, at E3 2011, we actually get a better glimpse of what the game will be like and what the plot will be like, and we find out it will be released Holiday of 2011. Finally, in November the game came out.

But it was kind of like "we really know nothing about the game, and yet it took them 5 years to get the game out." The advertisement of the game was a bit of a letdown, and then a few months after the game comes out, they make an awesome trailer that we would have rather had before for the game to come out. This game took a long time to come out, and it kind of felt like we didn't get to know the game well before it came out. I mean, Twilight Princess at least kept us updated a lot about the game and what was in store, and the first trailer at least helped give us some plot stuff rather than Skyward Sword waiting till the final months to give us some plot stuff. I know that Skyward Sword was heavy on the gameplay mechanics with the motion control, but I think that them keeping the plot stuff low really made it hard for people to know if they wanted the game or not.

I think this is parallel with the Wii U. We find out about the Wii U in 2011, and how it's the next console for Nintendo. We see the awesome features with both handheld and console gaming put into one, and how they will really intertwine together. However, between E3 2011 and E3 2012, we hear not even a pindrop from the Wii U's update. Lots of rumors that the Wii U was cancelled, or that it was going to get a complete overhaul or something like that. Then, in E3 2012, not only did Nintendo say they were going to continue with it, they were releasing it this holiday season. And then we didn't even know for how much or the exact date until September 13th (iirc). That was literally just a little over 2 months before it was released! I think one of the biggest problems the console faces was the fact that we barely get anything off of it, lack of advertisement, and then next thing you know, it's coming out with many people still questioning this system.

I know, this is about Skyward Sword, but all I am saying is that the sales of Skyward Sword as well as the fan reception could have been better had we been better prepared for the game. I think most of the controversy about this being not that good of a Zelda game comes from the fact that we had little detail about this game. I mean, great for people that don't spoil themselves, but a little hint at what we are getting is better than nothing at all. I mean, there are games like Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD that they constantly inform gamers about what is entitled in the games, and guess what? They will/are selling excellently! I mean really, Pikmin 3 made the Wii U sales go way up, and I have a feeling that the Wii U's sale will also get a big hit in sales with the Wind Waker HD's sale.

My point is, Skyward Sword would have been much better had the game been better advertised, and it is one of the things that Nintendo needs to work on with their things so that not just some games get good advertisement while others are left in the dark.

The only thing I hated about Skyward Sword was the Silent Realm, mainly how each area of the Silent Realm is an area you visited previously in the game with no changes made other than enemy replacement and object/hazard additions.

Is Ghirahim going to be replaced with Spongebob?

The answer will determine wheter I buy.

to be honest I didn't have much of a problem with the motion controls

they did make it a little hard to play for a long time, but you shouldn't really be playing games that long anyway

Mario4Ever said:
The only thing I hated about Skyward Sword was the Silent Realm, mainly how each area of the Silent Realm is an area you visited previously in the game with no changes made other than enemy replacement and object/hazard additions.
I loved the Silent Realms. They added a unique challenge to the game.

Fair enough of a game in my opinion. Though I hated how everytime you reset and found a treasure item, regardless of the amount you had, you'd have to go for the screen of "You got the thing" again. And how aiming stuff like the Slingshot and the bow can be awkward even with the ability to auto-center in case you feel off. Diving could have been made to some extent better if moving forward didn't have the chance of doing the same thing as diving straight downward.

Glitches aside, I thought the game looked very good. The feel of it was the complete opposite of the previous console game Twilight Princess, which is OK with me. The best part about it, is the plot. It's the first game in the series chronologically, and I love how this game connects with a lot of others in the series. The controls were smooth, but they had to be centered constantly. Maybe that was just me, but fortunately it only took a second to center. It is also is the best controls for the Bow and Arrow, which felt very natural and smooth. The silent realms were probably the most challenging thing in the game. They really were. Especially as the game progressed. That last one, ugh, but I liked the challenge. Nintendo did a great job on it, and I'm glad they spent so much time making it nearly perfect. Though, don't take that much time again.

i thought it was bad

but not uniformly bad, the way phantom hourglass was. it had fun parts

It was fun to play and even though once you know what to do against the final boss he becomes predictable, I still thought it was a really good final boss. My only annoyance was the Desert Electric Facility. That dungeon was pretty lame.

Gomamon said:
i thought it was bad

but not uniformly bad, the way phantom hourglass was. it had fun parts
yeah, I still reckon the time-displaced desert bits were an awesome concept

Back