Nintendo 2DS

I'm worried that it will barely sell. Here's reasons why:

- It would have been more effective had it came out with the 3DS so that at least it would have more time to sell instead of waiting over two years. Now they have to deal with the people that definitely don't want to spend money on something when they already have a 3DS.
- Why buy it when there is already the 3DS that can be changed so that it doesn't have the 3D effect? It seems only the smarter choice to just get something that can either 2D and 3D rather than just having 2D and never having the ability to be 3D.
- The price is shorter than the 3D and supposed to be sturdier since kids won't be wearing the top screen out by opening and closing, which is all good, but they may be overpricing it. $120 is still a lot of money, and just for $40, you can get something that actually gives you 3D, so it's not a big price difference.
- People are going to have to deal with how to carry it. The DSs and 3DS are easy to manage because you can just put them on your pocket if you are on the go, while this one feels like it'll be like holding a Kindle or iPad where you have to carry it around much like a book, but smaller.
- While it protects the flipping damage by having it just flat, that doesn't mean that it protects the screens. I mean, you can fold the DS and 3DS and the screens and buttons are protected inside, so if it falls over, only the outside will take minimal damage. However, this falls and there is a greater chance of a screen busting or some buttons failing to work. If it truly is aimed at kids, then you know for a fact that it's going to have a lot of bumps and spills and a lot of damage.
- It's aimed at kids 7 and under. Most parents don't really introduce their kids until around the age of 4/5 (That age is becoming lower due to iPad games and such, and I do admit that I started video gaming when I was barely 3...), so really, it's aiming a range at only a couple years, where the sales are going to have to come to parents buying it for those kids. They either don't make many and expect that it won't sell much, or they are going to regret this decision, and with the 3DS and Wii U's problems at launches and such, this could really be more of a hit on Nintendo than what you would think.

So yeah, I'm not going to get it because I have my 3DS, which is very well in-tact after 2 years, and will probably last me for years to come. I have cousins that would be prime examples of why you shouldn't give them expensive products like a 3DS or even a classic DS who break it after just a little while.

fantanoice said:
I imagine this would make games that you play sideways (Hotel Dusk, for instance) a lot more comfortable.

I can agree with this, because with the Giant Battles in BiS and DT, I always had such a hard time holding it sideways, because my right thumb always wanted to be over the power button, and my left hand always was on the back where the game was, so I always felt like if I accidentally push my thumb or bump my hand hard enough near the game cartridge, there goes my gameplay.

Super Mario 3D Land is also going to be a pain to play on the 2DS as well because that game takes full advantage of the 3DS's 3D mechanic and it's the only one that does.

Also, Fire Emblem Awakening won't just feel the same in 2D.

nsymon said:
Super Mario 3D Land is also going to be a pain to play on the 2DS as well because that game takes full advantage of the 3DS's 3D mechanic and it's the only one that does.

i 100%'d 3d land in 2d. i'm confident it will not be a pain to play on the 2ds

nsymon said:
Also, Fire Emblem Awakening won't just feel the same in 2D.

i played through the whole of awakening in 2d. i'm confident it won't be ruined on the 2ds
also i really don't see why you care about that, seeing as you have a 3ds anyway

The thing is the 3D is Fire Emblem awakening actually makes it feel real.

cryoAwakening said:
- Why buy it when there is already the 3DS that can be changed so that it doesn't have the 3D effect? It seems only the smarter choice to just get something that can either 2D and 3D rather than just having 2D and never having the ability to be 3D.
- The price is shorter than the 3D and supposed to be sturdier since kids won't be wearing the top screen out by opening and closing, which is all good, but they may be overpricing it. $120 is still a lot of money, and just for $40, you can get something that actually gives you 3D, so it's not a big price difference.
Because playing in 3D is totally worth an extra $40. Some people just want to play a fun game without having to pay for unnecessary features.

Off-topic, but when I played Phantom Hourglass the first time, I had no idea that I had to close my DS in order to continue on, and spent like a few minutes being an idiot before I got mad and closed it, and then opened it later and realized that it was what I was supposed to.

But yeah, games where you do have to close the game in order to advance like that would be a pain in the butt on the 2DS, since you would most likely have to make it go in sleep mode and then turn it off sleep mode, and - especially in Phantom Hourglass' case - won't feel like what it was supposed to be: pressing the two screens together.

Vocal Beat said:
cryoAwakening said:
Because playing in 3D is totally worth an extra $40. Some people just want to play a fun game without having to pay for unnecessary features.

For some, yes. Sometimes it better to be able to have that feature that is adjustable than to not have it at all.

Plus, you got to think about future stuff. When the kids are finally old enough to be able to see the 3D effect (according to age warnings), they would have to get a 3DS in order to play it, which would be another $170 dollars, so they are basically spending $300 when they could be saving almost half of that just giving them a 3DS and having the 3D slider all the way down.

Plus, you got to think about future stuff. When the kids are finally old enough to be able to see the 3D effect (according to age warnings), they would have to get a 3DS in order to play it, which would be another $170 dollars, so they are basically spending $300 when they could be saving almost half of that just giving them a 3DS and having the 3D slider all the way down.

why are you assuming that as soon as they get old enough to see the 3d, they'll immediately want 3d and buy a 3ds?

Pearl said:

why are you assuming that as soon as they get old enough to see the 3d, they'll immediately want 3d and buy a 3ds?

When you are a kid and you are 7, common sense has hit you yet and being able to do something, you become focused on just wanting to do that.

How you not seen kids these days? Heck, I remember how excited I was when I could do something, and all I wanted was to do that.

cryoAwakening said:
Who in the right mind would pay $170 for a handheld when they recently bought a $130 handheld that can play the same games.

Okay, tell me, when you were 7 years old, was that really what you were thinking?

I know that I have a logical and realistic mind since I was young (whether you disagree with me or not), and I didn't really care about money. All I cared about was "Omg, that looks so cool, I want that!"

cryoAwakening said:
Okay, tell me, when you were 7 years old, was that really what you were thinking?

i think beat is talking about parents here. if you were a parent, would you pay $170 for a handheld when you recently bought a $130 handheld that can play the same games, just because your kid wants to play games in 3d?

Pearl said:
cryoAwakening said:

i think beat is talking about parents here. if you were a parent, would you pay $170 for a handheld when you recently bought a $130 handheld that can play the same games, just because your kid wants to play games in 3d?

Well, financially, the parent would probably just get the 3DS instead of the 2DS, which is like a stepping stone from the DS to the 3DS. I'm saying that both financially and rather logically that the 2DS is quite the obselete decision because if you ever want the 3D effect, you need to get a 3DS, and so it be better to get the 3DS than a 2DS.

If people are so god damn worried about a 3DS taking damage from younger kids, then just put a cover on the 3DS. That's what accessories are for! Saves people the money to replace it!!!

are you trying to miss the point, or what?

i'm not talking about if the kid wants to play 3d, and then parents are deciding if they get the 2ds or 3ds. i'm talking about if the parents have already bought a 2ds, and then their kid wants the 3d.

If people are so god dang worried about a 3DS taking damage from younger kids, then just put a cover on the 3DS. That's what accessories are for! Saves people the money to replace it!!!

isn't that what people are saying about the 2ds design....?

Coming soon...a system with every feature of the 3DS but one. Also, it can't close.

Eh...I'm neutral. I already can see that this is a good thing for bargain hunters who want to play 3DS games but without some gimmick nobody really uses.

I used to use the 3D a lot, but I scratched the top screen by accident once, and turning on the 3D makes the scratch glaringly obvious.

cryoAwakening said:
Pearl said:
cryoAwakening said:

Well, financially, the parent would probably just get the 3DS instead of the 2DS, which is like a stepping stone from the DS to the 3DS. I'm saying that both financially and rather logically that the 2DS is quite the obselete decision because if you ever want the 3D effect, you need to get a 3DS, and so it be better to get the 3DS than a 2DS.

If people are so god damn worried about a 3DS taking damage from younger kids, then just put a cover on the 3DS. That's what accessories are for! Saves people the money to replace it!!!

Yes, the 2DS is obsolete. It hasn't even been released yet.

its ok words are hard

this wouldn't be such a bad idea if the design wasn't so horrible and it was a little bit cheaper

what is this i dont even
but seriously world, miley cirus twerking and nintendo 2ds, get off your drugs. i mean, who remembers when the original ds was amazing? its sad to look at the world nowadays.

Nabber said:
this wouldn't be such a bad idea if the design wasn't so horrible and it was a little bit cheaper

it's the cheapest handheld that's come out this generation, not sure how much cheaper you want it considering the vita is sitting at a nice $199 and the apple products are sitting above that price point

next people will be saying that they want them in their happy meals

Kids should just stfu and be happy with whatever they're given but hey.

I think if there were multiple kids in a family then getting more than one (maybe they all want a Pokemon save or something) then that makes it more enticing as well.

I'm sorry, but the effort they made to make the 2DS sturdy just makes it more vulnerable. I have a DS lite for 5 years now, and is just superficially dirty, it could almost look like a brand new DS if I wiped it with a cloth. I dropped it a thousand times, at least. But with this 2Ds that does not close, the screens would just explode.

The Earl of Millenium said:
I'm sorry, but the effort they made to make the 2DS sturdy just makes it more vulnerable. I have a DS lite for 5 years now, and is just superficially dirty, it could almost look like a brand new DS if I wiped it with a cloth. I dropped it a thousand times, at least. But with this 2Ds that does not close, the screens would just explode.
But it was to be more sturdy than the Gameboys. I've dropped my GameBoys loads of time, with very minimal damage.

Agumon said:
The Earl of Millenium said:
But it was to be more sturdy than the Gameboys. I've dropped my GameBoys loads of time, with very minimal damage.

If it lands on the screen... KAPUTT!

Back