Favorite non-Mario racing games

MCS

Donkey Kong
So, outside of the Mario Kart series, what are some of your favorite racing games?

I like the Need for Speed series, F-Zero GX, and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

e-xtreme g3 is probably my favorite.

sonic & all stars racing transformed is pretty good too though

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and the "Motor Kombat" mode of Mortal Kombat: Deception.

196751_41783_front.jpg

Doctor Doom said:
F-Zero GX

still waiting on a sequel

oh shit, how did I forget that

Baby Luigi said:

Never played it. From the cover, it looks like one of those generic, boring racing games, but I'm sure I'm completely wrong on that.

MCS said:
Never played it. From the cover, it looks like one of those generic, boring racing games, but I'm sure I'm completely wrong on that.

GASP how dare you. Beetle Adventure Racing is pretty damn awesome. Sure it was made to advertise the new beetle but that game is actually great. The environments you race in are extensive and diverse (you race in an Egyptian desert, a metropolis, a snowy mountain, haunted woods, in the country, and in an island with a volcano). There may be few courses (that's all of them I listed) but all of them are well-detailed, long, and have like a billion different alternate routes in each of them. You can also customize color of the Beetles and unlock a Rainbow Alien beetle and a police one (the police is by far the best one, you stop computers in their tracks when you activate the sirens).

You can also do a Beetle Battle with two players, which involves you battling other beetles with some items for colored ladybugs.

I have to agree with Zae here on XG3, but I haven't played the game in sooo long. Unfortunately we traded it in at some point and I haven't played it since.

Another really good one is Diddy Kong Racing, which I also haven't played properly since our N64 bit the dust. I was pretty excited for Diddy Kong Racing DS before it came out but...

EDIT: I just noticed Diddy Kong Racing could be considered a Mario game and that's probably why nobody else mentioned it but I never considered it one.

The Need for Speed series hands down.
Well, at least until EA ruined it

Crash Team Racing, Crash Nitro Kart, Crash Tag Team Racing, Need for Speed: Most Wanted(2005) and Toca Touring Car Championship(used to play it loads on the PS1 with my dad).

Uniju said:
EDIT: I just noticed Diddy Kong Racing could be considered a Mario game and that's probably why nobody else mentioned it but I never considered it one.

Yeah, it technically is, since Diddy Kong is a Mario series character.

Awesome Koopa said:
Well, at least until EA ruined it

They ruined it? I wouldn't know since I only have the older ones for GameCube and PS2, but how did they ruin it?

They ruined it in many ways, but the main one for me is that it's barely even a street racer anymore. Now it's Gran Turismo with a NFS paint job. I mean, seriously, where did the awesome cop chases go? They're not horrible, but certainly not as good as, say, Most Wanted or Hot Pursuit 2.

I'm not surprised to see EA ruin their games.

Awesome Koopa said:
They ruined it in many ways, but the main one for me is that it's barely even a street racer anymore. Now it's Gran Turismo with a NFS paint job. I mean, seriously, where did the awesome cop chases go? They're not horrible, but certainly not as good as, say, Most Wanted or Hot Pursuit 2.
Yes Need for Speed: Most Wanted has awesome cop chases. That's one of the reasons why I like it. I also have Need for Speed: Undercover but it isn't as good.

I also forgot to mention that I enjoyed Diddy Kong Racing. They messed it up somewhat in the DS version though.

Baby Luigi said:
I also forgot to mention that I enjoyed Diddy Kong Racing. They messed it up somewhat in the DS version though.
How did they mess it up? I don't have the game.

Back