iPhone banned for patent infringement, ban vetoed by Obama administration

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
Source: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/03/obama-administration-overturns-ban-on-apple-products/

A few months ago, Samsung sued Apple after Apple infringed on their patent involving data transmission. The result was that the ITC issued a ban on the sale of several of the old iPhone and iPad models. However, the government decided to step in and veto the ban because of the products' "effect on competitive conditions in the U.S. economy and the effect on U.S. consumers."

Of course, this is fucking bullshit, because the banned devices are years old (and that's not even getting into the argument that Apple has practically stopped innovating lately). But what really grinds my gears is this quote:
Apple spokeswoman said:
“Samsung was wrong to abuse the patent system in this way.”
Which the company has a lot of nerve to say, considering they sued Samsung earlier for $1 billion after they put rounded corners on the Galaxy S3.

Agumon said:
Pointless lawsuit. Almost as pointless as that time PETA sued Nintendo.
PETA never sued Nintendo, they just made a publicity attack.

Terriermon said:
Well, when you have the government backing you, there's not much you can't do.
gotta love it when the government can pick and choose which companies to support

Agumon said:
Pointless lawsuit. Almost as pointless as that time PETA sued Nintendo.

Maybe you can compare it to Universal vs. Nintendo

Nabber said:
I'm starting to wonder if there's some racism in here.

I didn't bother to read the article because...well...IDC.

But would you mind specifying what you mean by...racism? As in...perhaps Japanese with Samsung and Americans with Apple? I've no idea.

samsung is actually south korean

but yeah that's basically the point

Dr. Javelin said:
Tentomon said:
Dr. Javelin said:
gotta love it when the government can pick and choose which companies to support

I mean, seriously? Is this a fucking joke?
lrn2sarcasm
I was saying that to the government's actions and the article, not your quote.

oh

then why did you quote me and not the title?

i figured if you agreed with me, then you would have quoted me, then said something about agreeing with me

Dr. Javelin said:
oh

then why did you quote me and not the title?

i figured if you agreed with me, then you would have quoted me, then said something about agreeing with me

I dunno, I just didn't think that hard about it. Sorry for the confusion.

the word you're looking for is protectionism. it happens all the time with governments protecting domestic companies from foriegn rivals. tariffs and shit are heavily regulated and crap, so they just found a loophole to do it another way.

Back