Question: Sentences where it is said the player does stuff.

LN1

L - N - 1
I noticed some sentences like "Player faces boss after yada yada", "Player must do yada yada to get to the boss". Or for a clearer example:

Red-Brief J article said:
The boss of Thrillsville, players face him after clearing Beanstalk Way.

So I may be wrong on this, but isn't it technically Wario who faces Red-Brief J? Same applies to other sentences where player can be replaced with Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, or any other character.

So my question is, do I leave those sentences as they are(see quote above) or replace them with their respective character?(replace players in quote above with "Wario", chance face to faces for subject-verb agreement)

Either is acceptable. Though "player" is preferred when there are different playable characters.

Whilst player is good, I think the sentence itself needs a rewrite because it doesn't flow well for me when I read it, personally I think players should be near the start

Well you're controlling Wario so you are facing the character in a sense

My thoughts:
  • Using players suits well in telling instructions of what they must do in order to progress or complete something in an active sense, whether it's controlling a playable character in a spin-off game that you like, or controlling a protagonist (player controlled); one example is mini-games!
  • Using the characters' names such as Yoshi, Mario, Luigi, and Wario suits well with detailing a story describing any type of act in a passive sense (non-player controlled); one example is the intro of Super Mario 64 DS.
  • I prefer players instead of player because there are multiple players from all over the world who will play the game; whether it is a single-player game (most platformers and RPGs), or a multiplayer game (most spinoffs).
  • Using player feels like the article is only written for one user to read only than mutliple users.
It's possible that I didn't haven't fleshed all of this out, but that's how I worked on articles that focus on game mechanics and player input than describing the story.

Also, using "players" eliminate pronoun issues such as the ugly he/she or the controversial singular they

Back