NSA Wiretapping Scandal

Kyoko Sakura

Celestial Guide
Sorry if this is late... I thought someone else would have made a thread.

Associated Press | BBC News | CNN | Faux News

BBC News said:
The US National Security Agency (NSA) is collecting the telephone records of tens of millions of Americans, US officials have confirmed.

The order requires Verizon - one of the largest phone companies in the US - to disclose to the NSA the metadata of all calls it processes, both domestic and international, in which at least one party is in the US.

Such metadata includes telephone numbers, calling card numbers, the serial numbers of phones used and the time and duration of calls. It does not include the content of a call or the callers' addresses or financial information.

The White House has emphasised the court order did not authorise US government agents to listen in on Americans' telephone conversations.

But the government could request a wiretap of specific suspicious numbers from the court, which would allow the government to monitor the calls in real time, record and store them.

i1LYHKN.gif

Re: so why are there no threads here about the nsa wiretapping scandal?

lol GIMP window

Anyway what a major violation of our privacy in the US. I doesn't affect me too much since I rarely use phones but I can imagine how terrible some must have felt about this.

To be honest, I wasn't that shocked.

I mean, I assume something like this was always happening. We just didn't know about it.

Even though this doesn't affect me, in particular. But it's probably happening in Australia, too.

I believe that I heard that this is all legal under the united states patriot act which was upheld as constitutional by the Supreme Court also this isn't something new from what I remember George Bush did the same thing as did FDR during WWII and Woodrow Wilson did similar things during WWI

Why is there no thread about it? well there is now!

Shoey has a point, it is indeed legal under the US PATRIOT Act. I've never liked it.

The "leak" is late. My middleschool principle held an assembly that told us the goverment keeps records of every website we go to and every person we talk to on phones & messengers.
They even have records of saved drafts
(this is a while ago)

The only news I got out of this.. was the existence of the NSA :???:

Back