Nintendo Takes Money from Lets Players

Rocker64

~Massive Fangirl
http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/nintendo-takes-legal-action-against-its-own-community-claims-rights-over-yo

Apparently Nintendo is getting all money made off of lets plays of Nintendo games.

Nintendo is using Youtube's Content ID system to make this happen. The service searches Youtube for video or audio that matches a company's content, and then gives them control over that Youtube submission. “Identify user-uploaded videos comprised entirely OR partially of their content, and choose, in advance, what they want to happen when those videos are found,” the official page states. “Make money from them. Get stats on them. Or block them from YouTube altogether.”

Nintendo can make money off of these videos, see their stats and even block them altogether if they want.

I recommend reading the article, it isn't actually that long and i can't summarize shit for my life.

This pisses me off. A lot. Over the past few years i have slowly started to dislike Nintendo for some of their (IMO) poor choices, but this just pushes it over the fucking edge. This is ridiculous.

Discuss. (Would this topic fit better in Entertainment and Media? I wasn't sure.)

How much revenue do people doing Let's Plays even get from YouTube videos? It could just be my ignorance, but I'm not really seeing the issue with this.

Mario4Ever said:
How much revenue do people doing Let's Plays even get from YouTube videos? It could just be my ignorance, but I'm not really seeing the issue with this.

from article said:
Zack Scott, who blew the whistle on Nintendo's actions has numerous LP videos of Nintendo games that top 100,000 views and many that top 300,000. That revenue isn't likely to be of much use to a major corporation like Nintendo, but it can be mean much to the creators of Let's Play videos.

They don't make a ton of money, but it does add up quite nicely for popular youtubers that get a lot of views.

So, it is their games. If they didn't make them, the lets plays and walkthroughs of the games wouldn't have existed so I don't see this as a bad thing.

^if ibm hadn't designed the wii u's cpu, or if ati hadn't designed its gpu, or if the sd card association hadn't standardized sd cards, the wii u wouldn't exist. so i don't see it as a bad thing if you just don't pay nintendo for your wii u, and give the money to those other people instead

Bulbasaur said:
^if ibm hadn't designed the wii u's cpu, or if ati hadn't designed its gpu, or if the sd card association hadn't standardized sd cards, the wii u wouldn't exist. so i don't see it as a bad thing if you just don't pay nintendo for your wii u, and give the money to those other people instead

Correct grammar and usage please.

chillv said:
Bulbasaur said:

Correct grammar and usage please.
Don't minimod please.

"oh shit, he pointed out that my argument is nonsense. i better whine about grammar!!"

if that's the best you can offer, get out

Morgan said:
Don't minimod please.

No really, I wasn't trying to minimod. I legitimately couldn't understand what he was saying.

chillv said:
Morgan said:
Don't minimod please.

No really, I wasn't trying to minimod. I legitimately couldn't understand what he was saying.
the only thing he did was not capitalize letters

but here you go

"If IBM hadn't designed the Wii U's CPU, or if ATI hadn't designed its GPU, or if the SD card association hadn't standardized SD cards, the Wii U wouldn't exist. So I don't see it as a bad thing if you just don't pay Nintendo for your Wii U, and give the money to those other people instead."

chillv said:
Morgan said:
Don't minimod please.

If you are physically unable to understand anyone if there's any bit of incorrect grammar, there is absolutely no way that you will ever get anywhere in your life.

On the other hand, if you're just being stuck-up for the sake of showing off your grammar superiority, you're also going to have absolutely no chance at getting anywhere in your life. I suggest you ease up on the snootiness.

Morgan said:
"If IBM hadn't designed the Wii U's CPU, or if ATI hadn't designed its GPU, or if the SD card association hadn't standardized SD cards, the Wii U wouldn't exist. So I don't see it as a bad thing if you just don't pay Nintendo for your Wii U, and give the money to those other people instead."

But who is IBM and ATI? Whoever they are, they don't play that much of a important role in the design since they didn't program the system itself nor did they create nintendo tv, miiverse, notifications and any other stuff on wii u.

Politoed said:
If you are physically unable to understand anyone if there's any bit of incorrect grammar, there is absolutely no way that you will ever get anywhere in your life.

On the other hand, if you're just being stuck-up for the sake of showing off your grammar superiority, you're also going to have absolutely no chance at getting anywhere in your life. I suggest you ease up on the snootiness.

I am not being stuck up. He worded it in such a ridiculous way that I had to read it more once to understand what he was talking about. Also, he was using abbreviations for "obviously obscure companies" and expecting me to know who he is talking about.

Also, I am tempted to report you for this one post but I won't.

X

(Strike one)

chillv said:
So, it is their games. If they didn't make them, the lets plays and walkthroughs of the games wouldn't have existed so I don't see this as a bad thing.
"But who is Nintendo? Whoever they are, they don't play that much of a important role in the video since they didn't play the game nor did they record the commentary."

Beat said:
chillv said:
"But who is Nintendo? Whoever they are, they don't play that much of a important role in the video since they didn't play the game nor did they record the commentary."

Anybody can just sit, play and commentate on a game. The staff put hard work into those games and should get profit off of it too. It's not like the people who are making the videos are not getting profit from youtube off of it too (unless the aren't a youtube partner). Are they?

chillv said:
Politoed said:

I am not being stuck up. He worded it in such a ridiculous way that I had to read it more once to understand what he was talking about. Also, he was using abbreviations for "obviously obscure companies" and expecting me to know who he is talking about.

X

(Strike one)

Good luck with that, seeing that I had asked mods if my post was alright before submitting it. I'm utterly petrified of your strike, I better watch out for you in the future!!!

If you don't understand an abbreviation, rule of thumb is to use the vast knowledge that is contained in the internet and look it up yourself instead of griping about it. You will learn things and also sound like you know what you're talking about. Double bonus points.

Anyways, while I don't think this is the absolute worst thing to ever do since it seems to be only targeted towards those making a profit off of Nintendo's stuff, the LPers do provide a massive amount of content and generate a ton of interest, which in turn causes Nintendo to sell more games. It's a touchy scenario that I think Nintendo is ultimately being silly about in an attempt to grab up more money instead of just realizing they need to make better games.

chillv said:
But who is IBM and ATI? Whoever they are, they don't play that much of a important role in the design since they didn't program the system itself nor did they create nintendo tv, miiverse, notifications and any other stuff on wii u.

do you know what gpu and cpu are?

a wii u without a gpu and cpu would not function. it would not even turn on

chillv said:

X

(Strike one)

did you notice that there is a forum moderator actively participating in this discussion? don't you think if there was a problem worthy of reporting, that moderator would have noticed already

chillv said:
The staff put hard work into those games and should get profit off of it too.
You do realize that people are already paying to play these games, right?

chillv said:
It's not like the people who are making the videos are not getting profit from youtube off of it too. Are they?
From the article:
"As of now, the advertising revenue from these videos will go to Nintendo instead of the YouTube creator."

Beat said:
chillv said:
The staff put hard work into those games and should get profit off of it too.
You do realize that people are already paying to play these games, right?

chillv said:
It's not like the people who are making the videos are not getting profit from youtube off of it too. Are they?
From the article:
"As of now, the advertising revenue from these videos will go to Nintendo instead of the YouTube creator."

Oh, but I find this very light weight since you don't need to be a youtube partner to make money off of your videos. cobanermani456 is an example. In fact, he used to not even get funded by youtube. He used to be funded by an external website.

did you notice that there is a forum moderator actively participating in this discussion? don't you think if there was a problem worthy of reporting, that moderator would have noticed already

No, because moderators aren't perfect, nor are they god. The can easily not notice something. (That's what the report to moderator feature is for)

Anyway, back on topic.

Youtube is falling apart anyway so that's probably one reason why I this is lightweight to me. Youtube is going to die out soon so they might as well just cope with whatever nintendo is doing since it is going to be transitory anyway.

chillv said:
No, because moderators aren't perfect, nor are they god. The can easily not notice something. (That's what the report to moderator feature is for)

oh my god, you understood my post. so it turns out writing in all lowercase isn't an insurmountable barrier to understanding after all! shock!!

also i hate to tell you but our moderators are actually all the secret identities of people like zeus, yhwh, stendarr, etc

Zubat said:
chillv said:
X

(Strike one)
LOL

I do that to give someone who might a honestly innocent and nice person a chance to redeem themselves with me.

People say things they might regret afterwards so I use a strike system to justify when I should report them.

oooor you could just let the mods decide when people have broken the rules? they are gods, after all. are you actually claiming to have better judgement than gods?

chillv said:
Zubat said:
chillv said:
X

(Strike one)
LOL

I do that to give someone who might a honestly innocent and nice person a chance to redeem themselves with me.

People say things they might regret afterwards so I use a strike system to justify when I should report them.
I use a strike system to determine which members of this board I'm most likely to give a kidney to if I die. Member with least amount of strikes gets my kidney and it only counts members with more than 100 posts.

You have 37 strikes, putting you in third place behind Smasher with 17 strikes and Neptune99 with 6 strikes. Everyone else has more than 60 strikes.

To be honest, I don't think it's a bad idea. I mean, if Let's Players are SERIOUSLY pissed off that "They're not getting money from their videos", then they should be asking themselves why they were making the videos in the first place. To make money? Of course not, they didn't have enough views at the beginning!

People should want to make videos because they WANT to, not because they'll get advertising money.

If Nintendo is blocking lpers, I'll get annoyed. But if this is just on the add revenue, I don't care. Any famous youtubers complaining about that will just sound like a bunch of greedy jerks, not wanting to lose their money.

EDIT: The statement says "We continually want our fans to enjoy sharing Nintendo content on YouTube, and that is why, unlike other entertainment companies, we have chosen not to block people using our intellectual property." So maybe they won't block the LPers.

Back