Math Help (Physics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YamiHoshi

Nintendo 3DS Developer
There's only 1 question I can't solve:
Mega-Man runs and jumps off a cliff 782km high at a velocity of 49km/s and an angle of 45degrees. How far does Mega-Man travel?

(Assume that gravity on Earth is 9.8km/s2)

Off-topic, but your math problems have VIDEOGAME CHARACTERS? I wish I was in your class. :(

However, this problem I am not sure how to solve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_of_a_projectile

*shrugs*

I'd scan a picture of the diagram plus the hand calculations, but the scanner's on the fritz so hopefully a written explanation will suffice, plus this related diagram I found online (just ignore the values and the ymax bit: the x-intercept is what we're looking for):

image005.gif

Use 782 as dy (vertical height) and calculate for t using -49sin(45°) as Vy1 (courtesy of trigonometry: I assume I don't need to explain why) and 9.8 as ay (as you can see, going down is positive and up is negative: it's simpler to work with):

dy = vy1*t + 0.5*ay*t2
782 = -49sin(45°)*t + 0.5*(9.8)*t2
782 = -34.65*t + 4.9*t2
0 = 4.9*t2 - 34.65*t - 782

From there use the quadratic formula (I assume you know this too) to get t (reject the negative value):

t = 16.65

Then plug that into the dx calulation, using 49cos(45°) as Vx (trig again):

dx = vx*t
dx = 49cos(45°)*(16.65)
dx = 34.65*16.65
dx = 576.92

Therefore, Mega Man travels approximately 577 km.

(although gravity is actually 9.8 m/s, not km/s, and all the heights and speeds should be in m too)

Baby Yoshi said:
Off-topic, but your math problems have VIDEOGAME CHARACTERS? I wish I was in your class. :(
My high school physics teacher always used Snoopy and Woodstock for our word problems. :)

So we're talking horizontal distance here?

Not sure what to do about the angle, though.

EDIT:

If we're just trying to calculate horizontal distance, you may be able to do it this way:

First, calculate distance, velocity, acceleration and time for the vertical distance. We know he's falling 782 meters. We also know he's accelerating at 9.8 km/s/s. Initial velocity is naturally, for free fall, 0 km/s. Using the equation d=1/2at2, we can find that t equals 12.63. We then need to know how far he traveled horizontally. We do so using the information we just found.

We know that he's going at 49 km/s and will be in the air for 12.63 seconds. That would mean he covered 618.87 km in this time.

However, this problem may require the more complex calculations that Walkazo used because of the jump at a 45-degree angle.

I'd like to know what the correct answer is. I'd assume Walkazo is right here.

Ralph said:
I'd assume Walkazo is right here.
This was a standard question back in my Grade 12 physics class: I even looked at my old notes to see exactly how it's supposed to be answered. Of course, different schools might use different strategies, but that's what I was taught and it should work.

Initial velocity isn't 0, it's 49 km/h. You use trigonometry to break that into horizontal and vertical components:

TrigonometryMnemonic_1000.gif

And it's resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back