Your opinion on Super Paper Mario

I enjoyed it. Nothing more to say, I thought the 3D mechanic was pretty cool. There were a few (ehhhhh, tad bit more than a few) levels that I didn't really care for at all.

I found the whole Count BleckxTippi thing silly. Sure it was apart of the story, but the story didn't leave an impact on me either (opinion).

Pixls were kind of boring, you heard from them a few times and then they shut up for the rest of the game. But a few of them had unique abilities that I liked.

Nobody will take this seriously because I like Sticker Star more than this though.

SPM really grew on me over the years. I wasn't too keen on it in the first place, even after completing it. But playing Sticker Star made me realize how underrated and amazing SPM actually is, despite the annoying 2D/3D switch, no turn-based play, and forgettable partners. It easily has one of the best plots in a Mario game and I'm a bit saddened that I didn't realize this earlier.

According to Miyamoto, only 1% of people on Club Nintendo commented about the plot of SPM, so they decided that people must have hated the plot, even though they never asked for if the players liked the plot.

Hell, most of the people just put random stuff on there to get their points for it, so it's really not that accurate whatsoever. I'm kind of ashamed of Miyamoto for using Club Nitendo to make a game that has no plot because enough people didn't say much about SPM's awesome plot.

Which is why Miyamoto needs to stop being selective about what he does and feeling that whatever he feels must happen.

Most fans should agree that SPM has the best main storyline of all Paper stories, while the other two are just SMB copies and TTYD didn't really stand out. But when it comes to sidequests and chapter stories, SPP isn't as fun and colorful as other games were: treasure hunting, martial art contest, holiday train etc. Similarly, SPM main characters are better but partner/minor characters are less interesting.

I also like the idea of double-sided tower and vanished world applied to the game art design. The art design is interesting, but can't be well-accpeted. A more common concern would be the gameplay, partially due to lack of sidekick partners.

Not the best, but still successful in its way I think.

Well, I think that SPM is more for the ones that are more interested in the storyline, which is why I'm a big fan of the Zelda games that have a deep plot.

I like video games that are more...scenic then gameplay. I dunno why, just sometimes I get bored when you battle constantly over and over, and the same generic routine, which can get boring when you play it for hours and hours. I really like the plot breaks in SPM because they were timed really well to where you can rest during them to watch them and it was interesting to see them.

TTYD was a lot more interactive, but I think that SPM beats them all out with the Plot and design, which I really appreciate out of a game like that.

Bottom line: SPM didn't have TTYD's awesome battle system, which was the primary reason why pretty much everyone played the Paper Mario series.

And I don't think anyone will be willing to argue the point that Glitzville was the best chapter in the entire Paper Mario series.

Glitzville is overrated.

The best chapter was Chapter 5 or 7 in TTYD. I'd possibly even go as far as saying Chapter 5 in SPM is better.

I actually enjoyed all of TTYD's chapters, except 2 (Boggly Woods) and 4 (Twilight Town). They were so gloomy and slow. The rest was awesome.

Anser said:
I actually enjoyed all of TTYD's chapters, except 2 (Boggly Woods) and 4 (Twilight Town). They were so gloomy and slow. The rest was awesome.

I loved Twilight Town because of Doopliss and his "Mario" impersonation, stealing your body and you have to get it back, it was actually one of my favorite chapters.

Electro Specter said:
Glitzville is overrated.

The best chapter was Chapter 5 or 7 in TTYD. I'd possibly even go as far as saying Chapter 5 in SPM is better.
No way, Chapter 7 of SPM takes the cake.

Although I sorta think it would have been better if you didn't get to go back to Flipside after the post-6 Underwhere jaunt, and just continued straight onto the Luvbi plot. I.e. you'd make a deal with Jaydes that if you take her daughter to Grambi, only then would she bring you back to life; then, it's only once you get there and defeat the armies of hell that, oop, surprise, it's not just a side-quest since you get your life back and obtain the final Pure Heart. It'd be more dramatic that way (including putting the tearful reunion with Tippi back-to-back to setting off to destroy her beloved), and also more challenging since you'd have to make due without your Pixls; it'd also give you a bit of variety since Luvbi would be your snarky hint fairy instead of sweet Tippi.

Walkazo said:
Electro Specter said:
Glitzville is overrated.

Although I sorta think it would have been better if you didn't get to go back to Flipside after the post-6 Underwhere jaunt, and just continued straight onto the Luvbi plot. I.e. you'd make a deal with Jaydes that if you take her daughter to Grambi, only then would she bring you back to life; then, it's only once you get there and defeat the armies of hell that, oop, surprise, it's not just a side-quest since you get your life back and obtain the final Pure Heart. It'd be more dramatic that way (including putting the tearful reunion with Tippi back-to-back to setting off to destroy her beloved), and also more challenging since you'd have to make due without your Pixls; it'd also give you a bit of variety since Luvbi would be your snarky hint fairy instead of sweet Tippi.

I was literally about to chime in about Chapter 7 of SPM.

I just really like the progression of that chapter, from hell to heaven, as though it was taken straight out of the greek mythology books with Hades and the River Styx as well as the Cerberus references. Not only that, but was a great representation of Dante's Inferno and Divide Comedy, which was really awesome to see as well. Not to mention, and the fun stuff you got to do in the chapter, like make Peach grow a nice 'Stache. 8)

Walkazo said:
Electro Specter said:
Glitzville is overrated.

Chapter 7 (SPM) was kinda slow in the middle, when you're busy moving between regions. Other than that, fantastic chapter.

I personally liked SPM, but my issue was that the strategy of battles was pretty much removed and felt rather linear and bland. Also I was kind of hoping with a different gameplay style your item inventory would be bigger... The game was rather easy as well, and it's not exactly easy to make it more challenging. :P

However, the plot was amazing, and the characters had great originality and personality too. The music was pretty nice as well (I love Proof of Existence, Soft Light and the Ultimate Showdown).

Gameplay wise, it's so-so, giving me just enough to keep interested. What made the game was how much personality and charm the settings and villains had. I mean who here didn't fall in love with Count Bleck?

I thought Count Bleck was okay, but I was a much bigger fan of Dimentio.

Mimi was definently the best Paper Mario villain of all time.

JK I actually like Dimentio better.

I'm pretty obvious that Dimentio was definitely one of the deadliest Mario villains around. He not only killed so many people and sent them to the Underwhere, but his entire plot to destroy all worlds and rule them was just beyond what Bowser has ever done. Seriously, completely kill everyone in order to make the world that you want, and to betray all your allies just so that you can pull it off? He was just very heartless. I mean, he played with Mimi and Mr. L's anxiousness in Chapter 6 and then constantly played with Count Bleck's feelings for Timpani in order to help manipulate him.

His appearance has always reminded me of a marionette doll, and I find it ironic that he basically was the marionette master in control of the entire game.

Xerneas said:
I'm pretty obvious that Dimentio was definitely one of the deadliest Mario villains around. He not only killed so many people and sent them to the Underwhere, but his entire plot to destroy all worlds and rule them was just beyond what Bowser has ever done.
I think you mean "it's". :P

Anyway, I agree. I think Bowser's a joke compared to Dimentio, and just about any other RPG villain in the series.

Back