Bad "references"

Pyro

Power Star
I was exploring the animated TV references page today. Lord, did I find some goddawful shit.

The name of the dog catching company in the series is called ''Bowser Busters''. Interesting enough, the show debuted a year after Bowser's video game debut.
If it's a dog catching company, and "bowwow" is a sound effect commonly associated with dogs, then how is this a reference?
During the opening sequence, a pixelated Bender can be seen beating his chest in the same manner as the original Donkey Kong.
And doesn't Donkey Kong beat like all other stereotyped apes?
Also, the Gooper creature bears resemblance to Mario's head on the "Press Start" screen from Super Mario 64.
Now this is just stupid.
In Eddy's room, there is a Super Mushroom from Super Mario Bros..
I've seen Eddy's room hundreds of times and have never seen this. I'll take this back if this is sourced, though.
In the episode "Act Your Age", Daggett says "Wowser Bowser!" after seeing Norbert shrink to the size of a kid after eating an acorn.
Oh my god, really?

I've seen some chat about this on the talk page. Yet it seems some of the stupid ones still haven't been removed.

Common Problems
-Assuming "Bowser = MARIO REFERENCE"
-"Red shirt and blue overalls"
-Variations of "looks like him/her to me!", i.e. "bears a resemblance"
-Assuming Mario invented every concept ever (like the Futurama example above).
-Assuming Mario invented the concept of man-eating plants.

Yeah. We need to fix this.

You can add "assuming every instance of man-eating plants in fiction are references to Mario" to the list. You just know someone is eventually going to add

==''[[Wikipedia:Little Shop of Horrors (film)|Little Shop of Horrors ]]''==
Audrey II bears a strong ressemblance to a [[Piranha Plant]]

Don't forget that references that are "go-kart = Mario Kart"

Time Turner said:
Also, there are quite a few "it's on like Donkey Kong" references. Does it count when the expression is (semi-)commonly used and pretty much originated from an Ice Cube song?

It's still referencing Donkey Kong, nonetheless, and the Ice Cube song was the one to originate it.

MCS said:
Time Turner said:
Also, there are quite a few "it's on like Donkey Kong" references. Does it count when the expression is (semi-)commonly used and pretty much originated from an Ice Cube song?

It's still referencing Donkey Kong, nonetheless, and the Ice Cube song was the one to originate it.
But wouldn't that mean it was referencing the song?

It's a second-degree reference. Or a reference, once removed.

Time Turner said:
There are a lot of Bowser references in relation to dogs. Does Bowser have any sort of meaning outside of the Mario series or something?
Yep. The dog stuff's the most common usage, followed by the surname. My favourite meanings are the gas dispenser and the tanker, tho, since if you squint, you can draw parallels between 'em and our Koopa King.

During the opening sequence, a pixelated Bender can be seen beating his chest in the same manner as the original Donkey Kong.

But since he is pixelated and located in a video game, it's probably a reference to a video game: Donkey Kong.

Great image. I agree in saying it's a reference.

Back