Why Pixar is going downhill

NSY

Celestial Guide
Let's face it, every Pixar movie up to Toy Story 3 was great but then after seeing that Cars 2 and Brave were mediocre movies I started lose faith in them.

Cars 2 was a spy movie tagged as a racing movie, it added unrealistic elements. It focased on noting of what people wanted to see. It had cars shooting rockets and all of that. Some scenes like the world grand prix opening presentation was way too long and contained action scenes that should not be there. It was a shame as this had a good plot and if it focussed more on the racing and taken out the spy crap and replaced it with something a lot more realistic, this may have been good.

Brave was just way too short. It had good action scenes but the plot was dreadful. Also Pixar should not be setting there films in the past, stick the present or future. This proved it. It did not feel like and Pixar film and it felt like something that Dreamworks could have done. It was a mess (Cars 2 was actually understandable) and this should never be done again. It was the opposite of Cars 2 doing everything Cars 2 did wrong, right but doing every Cars 2 did right, wrong.

I have not bothered to see trailers of Monsters University to stick into the surprise. Please go back to the great movies you did in the past. Your two worst films so far are right next to each other and every other Pixar film I've seen was amazing (Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Cars, Up to name a few).

What are your opinions on Pixars last two films?

considering cars 2 was a kids movie i'm pretty sure that kids loved the spy stuff

also they already did the whole racing thing in the first one, so

you're also forgetting toy story 3, which was pretty good if i remember correctly

But removing the spy stuff would allow a wider audience.

There already are enough good spy movies out there that kids can watch and enjoy.

I hated Cars 2 because it felt nothing like the first one with all that "spy stuff".

Brave was ok to me,it wasn't great,but it wasn't really bad either.

Cars 2 was terrible.

enough said.

I can't comment on brave.

I think the monsters inc prequel is nice, but I would have liked a sequel instead.

Yes, they're going downhill, but the reasons are not the ones you listed.
NSY said:
Cars 2 was a spy movie tagged as a racing movie, it added unrealistic elements. It focased on noting of what people wanted to see. It had cars shooting rockets and all of that. Some scenes like the world grand prix opening presentation was way too long and contained action scenes that should not be there. It was a shame as this had a good plot and if it focussed more on the racing and taken out the spy crap and replaced it with something a lot more realistic, this may have been good.
Oh, so cars with rockets are unrealistic, but sentient toys, monsters, superheroes, a house the floats with balloons, and a rat that can cook are realistic? And what's wrong with having spy stuff instead of racing? If you prefer racing to spies, that's fine, but that doesn't make a movie flawed because they chose to make it about spies instead of racing.
NSY said:
Brave was just way too short. It had good action scenes but the plot was dreadful. Also Pixar should not be setting there films in the past, stick the present or future. This proved it. It did not feel like and Pixar film and it felt like something that Dreamworks could have done. It was a mess (Cars 2 was actually understandable) and this should never be done again. It was the opposite of Cars 2 doing everything Cars 2 did wrong, right but doing every Cars 2 did right, wrong.
Hate to break it to you, but Toy Story, Toy Story 2, and Monsters, Inc. were all excellent movies - and shorter than Brave. Meanwhile, Pixar movies aren't really supposed to focus on plot, more so emotion. I would hardly call Toy Story a wondrous movie for its plot. Finding Nemo also was rather simple in plot, but that was fantastic, too. As it is, there wasn't much action in Brave, but I don't get why you're complaining about the plot. Complaining that the movie takes place in the past is pretty ridiculous and irrelevant, as I don't see what's wrong with it. I don't see how it was a mess, really. It wasn't my favorite Pixar movie but I wouldn't say it's bad.

The main problem with Cars 2 was its plot. Almost everyone agrees that the plot is a total mess. I can't remember what went on in that movie. Usually, I can, but not for Cars 2. Everything just happened too fast without any explanation. Granted, I like the beautiful animation, the cars, and the action scenes, but everything else is a mess.

Brave was just an ok movie. There wasn't anything spectacular about it except for the mother/daughter relationship and the latter part of the movie.

I'm not much of a movie-goer, but is two flop films really equal to going downhill?

Charmander said:
I'm not much of a movie-goer, but is two flop films really equal to going downhill?

Only if it's from a company that made like three movies. But this is coming from Pixar, who made several movies. I don't think Pixar is going downhill: Brave managed to be a better movie than Cars 2. But yeah, it's still only two films.

I agree with NSY for the most part. DreamWorks, on the other hand, has been making great movies that are very different from their past movies (How to Train Your Dragon, Rise of the Guardians, The Croods).

The problem with Dreamworks is that they tend to sequelize and milk some movies.

Baby Luigi said:
The problem with Dreamworks is that they tend to sequelize and milk some movies.

And isn't that exactly what Pixar is doing now?

I concur with the above post.

(I did love How to Train Your Dragon, though)

On the topic of Pixar, I haven't seen Brave or Cars 2 and don't feel any burning need to, but I don't think there's any downward spiral. Up, WALL-E and Toy Story 3 are some of my favourite movies of all-time.

Grifty said:
Brave sucked Wreck-it Ralph was the last good Pixar flick.

Wreck-It Ralph was done by Disney...

Back