RIP: YouTube Usernames

YamiHoshi

Nintendo 3DS Developer
Back in 2008, they were already planning this to happen, and now, 5 years later, it's definitely happening: You can no longer sign in using your YouTube Account.
Instead, you'll now be forced to sign in, using your GMail Account.
Here's what I've just came across:
Screen%20Shot%202013-03-30%20at%2016.51.05.png

More information: http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=165556

I've never seen this notice, until a few hours ago, actually.

I hardly use YouTube on my Phone, unless it's in Google Chrome.
And I also hardly bother to Like a Video (laziness).

I didn't even sign up for YouTube and now I have an account that I didn't ask for.

MCS, I even miss the YouTube I knew in 2006, way better experience than in 2008.

MKGirlism said:
MCS, I even miss the YouTube I knew in 2006, way better experience than in 2008.

I don't really remember YouTube much from 2006. I mean, I watched some YouTube videos back then, but I was only in 3rd grade at the time, so it's a bit hazy. I joined YouTube on my original account back in January 2008, so the old layout holds lots of nostalgia for me. Now it's just complete crap.

This is the reason I could no longer long into my old account. I needed a Gmail to log in, which I didn't even have at the time.

I've switched back to my old YouTube Channel Design.
352358-422013125053pm.png

It looks nicer, and I've got all of my lost privileges back.
Screen Shot 2013-04-02 at 11.52.48.png
Screen Shot 2013-04-02 at 11.53.03.png

Much better!
Additionally, they have added some kind of marker, so you always know where you belong to:
Screen Shot 2013-04-02 at 11.54.03.png

As long as it's visibly unique to be a YouTube Partner, I'll continue using the old Channel Design.
In a few months, when the old one gets discontinued, nothing unique about being a YouTube Partner will remain, which is really sad.

Nothing unique will be about being a youtube user period if they keep crap like this up.

Here is a list of things they have done that has made youtube less interesting, bland and inconvenient (in order).

1. Removing the layout that allowed lots of customization and replaced it with a gray layout that you can't even change the color of. Also, on top of that it made videos less convenient to watch. It also removes some features that partners used to have.
2. Signing in with your e-mail instead of your username
Soon to be number 3. Changing the channel layout to this all white layout which is very inconvenient to use and makes everything a hassle to do. It also only gives partners the ability to have that thing on top of their channel and that's it.

The only people who seem to not have a problem with this is businesses and that's because they aren't really about customization like that. Youtube is only just ease-of-advertising for them. Soon youtube will become the myspace of video sharing. NO! it's going to become the E.T. or Crazy Bus of video sharing

The natural progression of capitalism. Google wants everyone to be part of their vast Google empire, regardless of whether you just want to be part of YouTube or not. More GMail users = more money from Google Ads.

MCS said:
I sure miss old school YouTube from 2008 and 2009. Good times.

>2009

>old school

Regthreeds.png

Actually, Chillv, businesses are the ones who need those customizations the most, as they want to promote their business with this.
And it's confirmed: This new Channel Design will permanently replace every single Channel Design, on 29 May.

MKGirlism said:
Actually, Chillv, businesses are the ones who need those customizations the most, as they want to promote their business with this.
Yeah, but businesses mostly use dull color like gray, black and white for their websites so it's not much of a problem for them. Look at nintendo's website, its only white. The only thing that overshadows the white are the colorful pictures.

rsz_1rsz_hayate_no_gotoku_2nd_season_-_19_-_large_13_2137.jpg

I have an app called YouPlayer that plays all my videos in high quality but without having to bother with any new layouts or things like that.

I got the app and signed in before any of this happened so I don't have to worry about it I guess.

Wait, hold up a section because I was thinking about the YouTube signup approach to share my fan projects (including the music arrangements I've been doing).

So this means that having a "Gmail account" will be required?

If this is true, then I find this extremely disheartening to say the list.

Back