Collab: Names in Other Languages

User4042

Celestial Guide
People with systems, change your language settings! You can help by adding (in the North American version) French and Spanish names, or in Europe, a bunch of other languages!

Note that since Super Mario Galaxy, the games have different French translations for Europe and North America and thus names should be properly tagged as being from one region or the other. I think Spanish is in a similar situation, but I don't know any specifics.

Glowsquid said:
Note that since Super Mario Galaxy, the games have different French translations for Europe and North America and thus names should be properly tagged as being from one region or the other. I think Spanish is in a similar situation, but I don't know any specifics.

Yup, Spanish has it. I checked out Bumper Bubbles and the language had indeed different name for PAL and NTSC regions.

Just a question - do we put only official names or just throw anything in Google Translate? Because there are nearly no official portuguese names.

I think we should ban use of Google Translate on this wiki.

I agree. Then, do not put portuguese names - they are not official.

Because there are no "Portuguese" translations in most of the games, and therefore they are not official.

If Mario is called Mario in a Portugese game, his official Portugese name would be Mario.

It doesn't make the name any less official.

I'm talking about other names, like saying that Bob-omb Battlefield from Super Mario 64 is called "Campo de Batalha Bob-omb" in portuguese just because it is the translation. If the name doesn't appear in any version of the game, it is not official and should not be added. Besides, there are no portuguese translations of most Mario games.

I just said that because a lot of users tried to add unofficial portuguese names in the past, like the example I mentioned. And, I don't think we should just use Google Translate to get names in other languages when they are not even official in the first place.

Back